Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 01-25-2013, 09:43 PM   #1
xrm0
xrm0 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
iBooks sans-serif weirdness

Although by the title it may look this is the same as the thread at Sans-serif fonts and iBooks it isn't.

I've got an epub show text in sans in iBooks without embedding fonts nor adding com.apple.ibooks.display-options.xml but somehow in one file, a line of text in sans serif is rendered as serif.

There's a test case epub attached. You'll see three pages, nearly identical:

Section0001:
Code:
<p>no font family specified</p>
<p class="serif">serif</p>
<p class="sans">sans-serif</p>
<p class="serif"><span class="sans">initially serif, overridden with sans-serif</span></p>
Section 01 screenshot:

Section0002:
Code:
<p class="sans"><span class="serif">initially sans-serif, overridden with serif</span></p>
Section 02 screenshot:

And here's what I don't understand.

Section0003:
Code:
<p class="serif"><span class="sans">initially serif, overridden with sans-serif</span></p>
<p class="sans"><span class="serif">initially sans-serif, overridden with serif</span></p>
Section 03 screenshot:

In this last file, the <p> with the text "sans-serif" is rendered as serif. Does anyone know why this happens? Am I doing something wrong or it's a bug?

The serif and sans css classes are defined as:
Code:
.serif {
  font-family: serif;
}

.sans {
  font-family: sans-serif;
}
Spoiler:
After finishing writing this post I've realized I had a typo (overriden), I've changed it in the post/epub but not on the screenshots!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	section-1.jpg
Views:	718
Size:	13.1 KB
ID:	100063   Click image for larger version

Name:	section-2.jpg
Views:	738
Size:	13.2 KB
ID:	100064   Click image for larger version

Name:	section-3.jpg
Views:	769
Size:	16.1 KB
ID:	100065  
Attached Files
File Type: epub ibooks-sans.epub (3.0 KB, 218 views)
xrm0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 10:28 PM   #2
dgatwood
Curmudgeon
dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone, Nook Simple Touch
Adding the following com.apple.ibooks.display-options.xml file:

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<display_options>
    <platform name="*">
        <option name="specified-fonts">true</option>
    </platform>
</display_options>
in the META-INF folder appears to fix this problem, so this is probably a curious quirk behavior designed to avoid some problem that the iBooks folks saw with old, broken eBooks.

I would strongly suggest just adding the file. It will save you lots of problems and head scratching.
dgatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-26-2013, 12:30 AM   #3
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgatwood View Post
Adding the following com.apple.ibooks.display-options.xml file:

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<display_options>
    <platform name="*">
        <option name="specified-fonts">true</option>
    </platform>
</display_options>
in the META-INF folder appears to fix this problem, so this is probably a curious quirk behavior designed to avoid some problem that the iBooks folks saw with old, broken eBooks.

I would strongly suggest just adding the file. It will save you lots of problems and head scratching.
Thanks for the information. Could you point me please to some source where I can read up on this file?
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 02:39 PM   #4
dgatwood
Curmudgeon
dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If you're registered as a book publisher with iTunes, download the iBookstore Asset Guide. Otherwise, the following links cover it fairly well:

http://authoradventures.blogspot.com...s-part_24.html

http://ideate.verioiponly.com/Noir%2...sMiniguide.pdf
Old 01-27-2013, 01:00 AM   #5
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgatwood View Post
If you're registered as a book publisher with iTunes, download the iBookstore Asset Guide. Otherwise, the following links cover it fairly well:

http://authoradventures.blogspot.com...s-part_24.html

http://ideate.verioiponly.com/Noir%2...sMiniguide.pdf
Thanks, dgatwood. I'm not an Apple user, so I looked at the two guides. Is the file only used in fixed layout ePubs?
Advert
Old 01-27-2013, 08:15 AM   #6
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
From what I understand it fixes some quirkiness on flowable books as well. I just include it in all my ebooks in case someone really wants to use iBooks. It's a very small file and doesn't add to the size of the book anymore than some of the other 'hacks' we have to do to accomodate devices/apps inconsistent implementations.
I just have the file already incorporated into my template when I create a new ePub (I use Sigil) so I don't ever have to think about it being there.

Cheers!
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 05:43 PM   #7
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBell View Post
Thanks, dgatwood. I'm not an Apple user, so I looked at the two guides. Is the file only used in fixed layout ePubs?
No. Many fonts won't work on iBooks reflowable without it.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:02 PM   #8
dgatwood
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBell View Post
No, but with the exception of the specified-fonts option, all the other options are specific to fixed-layout EPUB books, IIRC.

In other words, the snippet I posted is pretty much everything that reflowable book authors need to know or care about, AFAIK.
Old 01-27-2013, 11:53 PM   #9
AlexBell
Wizard

Thanks again.

Tags
ibooks, sans, sans-serif