Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 05-25-2008, 06:57 AM   #1
Douill'
Douill' began at the beginning.

Device: Nothing... for the time being
Red face Convert ETD to pdf

Hi all,
Lately I have read lots of free ebooks. Most of them were in pdf format.
As I really enjoyed it, I was thinking about buying a smartphone, enabling me to read during transport (I need a new phone too ).

Yesterday I bought an ebook for the first time. I was aware of some protected format like .lit or some encrypted pdf files, but I did not know about the adobe digital edition .ETD format.
For the time being all I tried to turn it in .pdf failed. So I am very disapointed since I planned to buy more books on this website (vault.com) in order to read them in my future smartphone in transports!

Please help me if there is any trick.

ps: I apologize for my weird english. It's not my mother tongue

Last edited by Douill'; 05-26-2008 at 05:34 PM. Reason: it's ETD and not EBX...
Douill' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 10:37 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Such books can only be read on a PC.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-25-2008, 01:58 PM   #3
Douill'

yeah but...

Well, this is what I thought first, but as it is possible to print it, I guess that it might exist a trick to turn it into pdf (you know, with a virtual printer able to crack the encription).
What do you think?
Old 05-25-2008, 04:35 PM   #4
Peter Sorotokin
speaking for myself
Peter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it is

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douill' View Post
Hi all,
Yesterday I bought an ebook for the first time. I was aware of some protected format like .lit or some encrypted pdf files, but I did not know about the adobe digital edition .EBX format.
For the time being all I tried to turn it in .pdf failed. So I am very disapointed since I planned to buy more books on this website (vault.com) in order to read them in my future smartphone in transports!
EBX is not an ebook format, it is a sort of electronic receipt that can be used by various readers to download the actual book and its decryption key. You need to install Adobe Digital Editions software and then open the EBX file that you have with it. Adobe Reader 7 (but not 8) would work as well, but I would advise against using that unless you absolutely have to.
Peter Sorotokin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 02:16 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douill' View Post
Well, this is what I thought first, but as it is possible to print it, I guess that it might exist a trick to turn it into pdf (you know, with a virtual printer able to crack the encription).
What do you think?
I think that if you wanted a portable eBook, this was not a good format to buy a book in. MobiPocket or Microsoft Reader format gives you a lot more flexibility.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-26-2008, 03:41 PM   #6
Douill'

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I think that if you wanted a portable eBook, this was not a good format to buy a book in. MobiPocket or Microsoft Reader format gives you a lot more flexibility.
Well on the website they said "Buy PDF version", so I didn't thnik that it would be this kind of "online" format
Well I won't do the same mistake next time, and I will carefully read about the format available
Old 05-26-2008, 05:33 PM   #7
Douill'

Lightbulb capture

I have just thought about taking screen captures and then convert the image to text... that would be a long process, but it's the only solution I can see here