Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-07-2013, 07:57 AM   #1
Bruinbaard
Bruinbaard can name that song in three notesBruinbaard can name that song in three notesBruinbaard can name that song in three notesBruinbaard can name that song in three notesBruinbaard can name that song in three notesBruinbaard can name that song in three notesBruinbaard can name that song in three notesBruinbaard can name that song in three notesBruinbaard can name that song in three notesBruinbaard can name that song in three notesBruinbaard can name that song in three notes

Device: Kobo Touch
Kobo Touch frozen

Hello,

After updating the firmware of my kobo Touch to 2.5.0 (I think maybe higher? auto-update trough kobo desktop) It decided to freeze sometimes. I've had to restart the kobo two times because it didn't respond to the touchscreen or the home button anymore.
The third time even restarting won't help. Now I am stuck with a blank screen with some faded letters on it.

The led on top does still work, it turns green when I plug it in, sometimes flashes blue when I try to turn it on or do a reset through the paperclip hole. And when I do a factory reset by holding the home button while attempting to start it sometimes it flashes red two times.
But it never truly starts to work.

I have fully charged it, connected it to my pc but nothing seems to work.
It is 1 year and 2 months old now so I guess i won't get any help from the amazing customer service kobo offers...(altough i did ask, so lets wait..)

Now I am trying to connect it to my pc to try whether I can do some firmware downgrade or something to fix it. However as you need to push the connect button on the splash green that usually appears when you connect you kobo to a pc (which obviously i cannot do without a working screen..) before your kobo allows your pc to see it as a data storage device. My pc shows no sign of recognition of a data storage device or response to the usb at all, it only charges it..

Is there any way to connect to the kobo without it working? The developers must have some means to do so you'd think?
Bruinbaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 08:12 AM   #2
Willa
Davidfor's friend 😊
Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libra 2
Perhaps try this until one of the guys comes along. Hold the power button alone for 25-30 seconds first to make sure it's off, then hold the power switch while pushing the home button, hold both for about ten seconds, the blue light on the top next to the power slider should start flashing like a strobe. That may unfreeze it.
Willa is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-07-2013, 09:47 AM   #3
Bruinbaard
Bruinbaard can name that song in three notesBruinbaard can name that song in three notesBruinbaard can name that song in three notesBruinbaard can name that song in three notesBruinbaard can name that song in three notesBruinbaard can name that song in three notesBruinbaard can name that song in three notesBruinbaard can name that song in three notesBruinbaard can name that song in three notesBruinbaard can name that song in three notesBruinbaard can name that song in three notes

Thanks for your answer, I did a factory reset already and just did it again as your description says;
-Held the power slider for 30 seconds
-held home + power slider together for then seconds (first pressing home, then power slider and releasing power slider before releasing home)

But most of times nothing happens. When it is connected to a power supply it sometimes blinks red two times between the green from being connected to the power supply.
When it try it without power it sometimes flashes blue once very short, but almost directly after touching the power slider..
Old 07-07-2013, 02:44 PM   #4
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruinbaard View Post
Thanks for your answer, I did a factory reset already and just did it again as your description says;
-Held the power slider for 30 seconds
-held home + power slider together for then seconds (first pressing home, then power slider and releasing power slider before releasing home)

But most of times nothing happens. When it is connected to a power supply it sometimes blinks red two times between the green from being connected to the power supply.
When it try it without power it sometimes flashes blue once very short, but almost directly after touching the power slider..
Did you you try a reset with a paper clip? Press and hold the home button, insert the paper clip in the hole at the back, press until you feel a click (still holding home button) and see a flashing light next to the power button. Remove paper clip, and still hold home button until you see "restoring", then let go... Good luck!
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 03:33 PM   #5
Bruinbaard

Yes i tried that and more, however I never get the flashing lights. only one short blue pulse or two short red pulses.

I even opened it up and disconnected the battery for a while...

Still anyone knows how to get to the storage of the kobo on your pc without the screen reacting??
Advert
Old 07-08-2013, 01:42 AM   #6
Corpsegoddess
Groupie
Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Not sure if this will help, but you never know.

I had a bit of an issue with my Kobo randomly freezing, and I found that for a while, the only thing that knocked it out of freeze mode was to plug it in to my PC. Apparently whatever it needs to do to connect to the computer managed to override the freeze.

Just a thought.
Corpsegoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 11:53 AM   #7
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruinbaard View Post
Yes i tried that and more, however I never get the flashing lights. only one short blue pulse or two short red pulses.

I even opened it up and disconnected the battery for a while...

Still anyone knows how to get to the storage of the kobo on your pc without the screen reacting??
if its a bad image. You could remove the internal storage card seeing as you already know how to open it up. And using the developers forum you could copy a touch image file over. Or even take the time to change the internal memory card to a larger size if the original card is defective( or same size, or just because you want more memory) you can go all the way up to 32 gigs for the main memory and still have a 32 gig card for the external memory boosting your touch to a total of 64 gigs. The only draw back here is some of the older touch devices do not have a removable memory card.

regards

Jack
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 06:04 AM   #8
Bruinbaard

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackastor View Post
if its a bad image. You could remove the internal storage card seeing as you already know how to open it up. And using the developers forum you could copy a touch image file over. Or even take the time to change the internal memory card to a larger size if the original card is defective( or same size, or just because you want more memory) you can go all the way up to 32 gigs for the main memory and still have a 32 gig card for the external memory boosting your touch to a total of 64 gigs. The only draw back here is some of the older touch devices do not have a removable memory card.

regards

Jack
Thank you for your answer, unfortunately I have a N905 version without removable storage
I don't see a way to connect to this type of storage without the kobo up and running to be able to push the connect button... Is there?

I am afraid I am dealing with a broken screen, is that possible? I haven't dropped it or something like it. It just froze while I was reading, but this doesn't seem to be uncommon.
I have included a picture to show you what it looks like.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-07-09 00.20.03.jpg
Views:	787
Size:	785.8 KB
ID:	108312  
Old 07-17-2013, 06:37 AM   #9
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
Turn off or cover reflecting light causing glare for much better picture.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 07:19 AM   #10
Bruinbaard

Quote:
Originally Posted by filmo View Post
Turn off or cover reflecting light causing glare for much better picture.
Haha thnx for the tip.
This was just a quick shot to show the screen at which the kobo is stuck.
Kind of blank but you can still see the page I was reading( faded).
The screen NEVER changes no matter what I do.
Old 07-17-2013, 08:15 AM   #11
ewphoenix123
Addict
ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: Kobo: Glo, Aura , Aura H2O, Aura ONE, Forma, Elipsa
It doesn't look like a typical broken screen atm. If it did break you would have one part of the screen showing the page you read and visible "fracture line" unde which the screen is blank or distorted.
ewphoenix123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 08:42 AM   #12
Bruinbaard

I just recharged the kobo ereader again and tried another factory reset.
I now actually got a blue flashing led that keeps flashing. It has been doing so for about 15 minutes now and no action on the screen...
Never got the blue led to keep flashing but doesn't seem to do anything useful so far...
Old 08-13-2013, 02:13 AM   #13
Bruinbaard

Kobo actually replaced my kobo touch with a refurbished ( looks brand new though) Touch!
They actually sent the new one in before i sent my broken touch to them.
This new one seems to be of the same generation model N905, but so far the newest update works fine on it.
The great customer support team from kobo told me that some hardware models failed due to a fault in the update, which made them replace my kobo even after the 1 year mark.

So thank you Kobo!