Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-26-2013, 07:50 PM   #1
Lupines
Lupines never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Lupines never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Lupines never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Lupines never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Lupines never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Lupines never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Lupines never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Lupines never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Lupines never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Lupines never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Lupines never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G+Wifi
Lightbulb How to use a speech synthesizer on Kindle 3 (text-to-speech development)

I've been working on the last couple of days to get text-to-speech working for other languages other than English. So far I got this.

Using the gstreamer framework I was able to play MP3 and WAV files, I didn't try with other formats, but I believe it is doable. The Kindle uses the ALSA sound system.

-How to play mp3 files

# gst-launch filesrc location=your_sound_file.mp3 ! decodebin ! audioconvert ! audioresample ! alsasink

-How to play wav files

# gst-launch filesrc location=your_sound_file.wav ! wavparse ! alsasink

--------------------
For the text to speech part.

I used a software called mbrola. This is a speech synthesizer with support for many languages. They only provide the software in binary form. But an ARM binary is available here:

http://tcts.fpms.ac.be/synthesis/mbr...nux/mbrola.rar

In order to get mbrola working, a voice needs to be downloaded. There are several available here:

http://tcts.fpms.ac.be/synthesis/

I picked the one for Spanish called "es2"

[URL="http://tcts.fpms.ac.be/synthesis/mbrola/dba/es2/es2-989825.zip[/URL]

Inside the es2-989825.zip file you will find that there is the actual voice file called "es2"
and there is a TEST directory. To execute an example you must do:

# ./mbrola es2 TEST/example1.pho test.wav

This will execute the mbrola synthesizer, using the es2 spanish voice, using the phonetic example1 file,
and creating a test.wav file as output.

Now lets say that we want all these together, using mbrola for reading our example1.pho file and listening the output on the kindle speakers.
For this, you must combine both things, mbrola+gst-launch.

# ./mbrola es2 example1.pho test.wav | gst-launch filesrc location=test.wav ! wavparse ! alsasink

I am still working on getting a regular text file to its phonetic form. So please don't post questions asking how to configure this on the kindle to get it to read in other languages. I don't know yet. This is just a first step towards that. Everybody is welcome to help out on the effort.

Thanks,
Lupines.

Last edited by Lupines; 01-26-2013 at 11:12 PM.
Lupines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 08:02 PM   #2
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Tır
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
i was playing with this just last week. similar tech. massive.

excellent
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-26-2013, 09:12 PM   #3
skull43
Enthusiast
skull43 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.skull43 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.skull43 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.skull43 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.skull43 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.skull43 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.skull43 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.skull43 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.skull43 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.skull43 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.skull43 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Kindle Touch
Hello
Idea: Create a microphone in Kindle `s
In theory, reversing the operation of a speaker, a microphone is created .. I did it with a headset old and I think it is possible with a Kindle touch .. drivers only need to run the speaker in reverse, in theory.....

I I change the function of my headset with the audio settings panel of windows

Last edited by skull43; 01-26-2013 at 09:15 PM.
skull43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 09:34 PM   #4
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Some Kindles **have** microphones.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 09:55 PM   #5
skull43
Enthusiast
skull43 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.skull43 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.skull43 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.skull43 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.skull43 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.skull43 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.skull43 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.skull43 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.skull43 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.skull43 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.skull43 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Kindle Touch
Kindle touch have microphone ? (...) ¿Why? o.O
skull43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-26-2013, 11:43 PM   #6
Lupines
Lupines never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Lupines never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Lupines never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Lupines never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Lupines never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Lupines never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Lupines never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Lupines never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Lupines never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Lupines never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Lupines never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
i was playing with this just last week. similar tech. massive.

excellent
Thanks, I hope you are whiling to help out around with this. I just got flite compilled a few minutes ago. I still haven't played with it a lot, but it is doable from command line, I believe.

Lupines
Old 01-26-2013, 11:54 PM   #7
twobob
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Flite!!!
THAT was what I was using before It's now officially a small world!! : D

IIRC I ended up make a tmp text file "on-the-fly" as flite expects a file as an argument.

(I recall looking at http://festvox.org/ too for a little time, think flite can convert the voices from that)

Last edited by twobob; 01-27-2013 at 12:24 AM.
Old 01-27-2013, 02:50 PM   #8
twobob

My test [root@kindle root]# gst-launch filesrc location=/mnt/us/music/1351985926850497_song.mp3 ! decodebin ! alsasink

is a bit jumpy. will have to try it with the TTS. : )

EDIT: Only with certain mp3 rates... it's fine with many of them. thanks.

and yes I know to: decodebin ! audioconvert ! audioresample ! alsasink

Last edited by twobob; 01-27-2013 at 03:26 PM.
Old 01-27-2013, 11:18 PM   #9
Lupines

Flite

Quote:
Flite!!!
THAT was what I was using before It's now officially a small world!! : D

IIRC I ended up make a tmp text file "on-the-fly" as flite expects a file as an argument.

(I recall looking at http://festvox.org/ too for a little time, think flite can convert the voices from that)
I got flite cross compiled today. I am having a problem using the --with-audio=alsa option on ./configure. Did you come across this?

Even though I have libasound2-dev installed, it is complaining all over the place that it is missing. I did succeed in compiling it with oss support and doing the output to WAV files. Once I figure this one out I might bring it in another post.

Lupines.
Old 01-27-2013, 11:21 PM   #10
Lupines

MP3

Quote:
My test [root@kindle root]# gst-launch filesrc location=/mnt/us/music/1351985926850497_song.mp3 ! decodebin ! alsasink

is a bit jumpy. will have to try it with the TTS. : )

EDIT: Only with certain mp3 rates... it's fine with many of them. thanks.

and yes I know to: decodebin ! audioconvert ! audioresample ! alsasink
Another way to check this would be to put those same files you listen to in a jumpy way directly into the /music folder in the Kindle, and play them with the Kindle's Experimental mp3 player. Maybe it is like you said, they have a big rate and the Kindle can't handle them propperly. I didn't look into this.

Lupines.
Old 01-28-2013, 04:18 AM   #11
twobob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupines View Post

I am still working on getting a regular text file to its phonetic form. So please don't post questions asking how to configure this on the kindle to get it to read in other languages. I don't know yet. This is just a first step towards that. Everybody is welcome to help out on the effort.

Thanks,
Lupines.
http://tcts.fpms.ac.be/synthesis/mbr....html#phonetic

Looks promising

Looks interesting

http://archive.debian.net/lenny/armel/eflite/download

Looks very interesting.. EDIT: it was moderately so...

http://packages.debian.org/squeeze/a...speak/download

also going to have a look at that one...

Quote:
root@kindle:/# wget http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian/pool...03-2_armel.deb

root@kindle:/# dpkg --force-depends -i ./espeak_1.43.03-2_armel.deb

root@kindle:/# apt-get --no-install-recommends -f install
Yep - this one was the winner.

Will look to getting it native then...

root@kindle:/# espeak -X "I am the funkiest kindle in the world" 2> /dev/null
Spoiler:

Code:
Found: 'i am' [aIa#m]    0xc0000080/400
Found: 'the' [D@2]    0xc0000200/4
Translate 'funkiest'
  1	f        [f]

1	u        [V]

1	n        [n]
 22	nk       [Nk]

118	&) iest (_S3i  [@st]
 36	ie       [I]
  1	i        [I]

Translate 'funky'
  1	f        [f]

1	u        [V]

1	n        [n]
 22	nk       [Nk]

41	&) y (_  [I]
 20	C) y     [I]
  1	y        [j]
 22	y (_     [aI]

Translate 'kindle'
  1	k        [k]

93	k) in (dl [In]
 78	k) in (d [aIn]
  1	i        [I]

1	d        [d]

76	&) le (_ [l]
 95	&C) le (_ [@L]
  1	l        [l]

Found: 'in the' [InD@2]    0xc0000080/0
Translate 'world'
  1	w        [w]

57	w) or    [3:]
 36	or       [o@]
  1	o        [0]

1	l        [l]
 20	l (C     [l]

1	d        [d]

Code:
 aIa#m D@2 f'VNkI;@st k'Ind@L InD@2 w'3:ld
Okay. so that would work via debian.

I had trouble ripping the jack libs out of debian.

Probably a native build of that app (without jack and pulseaudio) would go a long to way to bridging the gap you described in the top post.

It exports the phoneme's to STDOUT as I have pictured via the -x option and --phonout="<filename>"
Quote:
Write output from -x -X commands, and mbrola phoneme data, to this file

And the realtime speech synth would doubtless meet the needs of the casual "make it do something cool!" user also.

That's my thoughts.

Last edited by twobob; 01-28-2013 at 02:24 PM.
Old 01-30-2013, 02:24 AM   #12
Lupines

Lightbulb Text to speech for the kindle keyboard

I was able to cross compile flite. flite is a text-to-speech software
that can be used in embedded software. I compiled it static so no
libraries are needed. There is a bug that makes flite not to run on the
first try. So for example if you run something like:

# ./flite -t "Hello world!"

You will hear nothing. But if you run it one more time, it works.
I must be doing something wrong, or the libraries, or the binary,
or the kindle. If you find out, please let everybody know on this post.

Have fun,
Lupines

---------------------------------------------------------

Here are all the binaries for the lazy.

You have to put all this into /mnt/us/ and it will work.

https://mega.co.nz/#!vN8D2IoL!JucwYkjUNUCrBk5mT6Tk9HBRvvpaKA6Hth0O4hi H2M4

KEY: JucwYkjUNUCrBk5mT6Tk9HBRvvpaKA6Hth0O4hiH2M4

BUT!!! You only need this binary in order for it to work:

https://mega.co.nz/#!HNFAELIa!eq019nC4U3F68dehDKufX1zjpphaATOrOmlDDyk T0Ug

KEY: eq019nC4U3F68dehDKufX1zjpphaATOrOmlDDykT0Ug

Mirror for both files -> ge.tt/86zHm1X

Please refer to the flite instructions on how to
use it here:

http://www.speech.cs.cmu.edu/flite/doc/flite_7.html

----------------------------------------------------------
Now, if you are REALLY brave and want to compile it from scratch
here are the instructions on how to build it from source.

INSTRUCTIONS FOR THE CROSS COMPILER

I got the cross compiler instructions for ARM from here:

http://wiki.debian.org/BuildingCrossCompilers#Installing_a_Cross_Compiler

----------------------------------------------------------

COMPILING INSTRUCTIONS FOR alsa-lib

Since the Kindle works under ALSA for audio, you must have a cross compiled
version of alsa-lib-1.0.13. I believe a newer version of the ALSA libs
could be used. I just tried this one and it works (sorta, read the end of
the post)

# wget http://gd.tuwien.ac.at/opsys/linux/a...1.0.13.tar.bz2

# bunzip2 alsa-lib-1.0.13.tar.bz2 ; tar -xvf alsa-lib-1.0.13.tar

# cd alsa-lib-1.0.13

# ./configure --with-audio=alsa --prefix=/usr/local/arm-linux --host=arm-linux CC=arm-linux-gnueabi-gcc \
GCC=arm-linux-gnueabi-g++ CFLAGS=-DEMBEDDED CFLAGS="-I/usr/local/arm-linux/include" \
LDFLAGS="-L/usr/local/arm-linux/lib" LD_LIBRARY_PATH="/usr/local/arm-linux/lib"

# make

# make install

-----------------------------------------------------------

COMPILING INSTRUCTIONS FOR flite

First, you have to get flite-1.4.tar.gz

# wget http://www.speech.cs.cmu.edu/flite/p...elease.tar.bz2

# bunzip2 flite-1.4-release.tar.bz2 ; tar -xvf flite-1.4-release.tar

# cd flite-1.4-release

First the /configure file needs to be changed. All the options for the
different audio drivers must be removed. I just erased all of them and
left this one:

AUDIODRIVER="alsa"
AUDIODEFS=-DCST_AUDIO_ALSA
AUDIOLIBS=-lasound

Using --with-audio=alsa didn't work for me. But I included in the
./configure anyways.

These are the options I used for cross compiling flite:

# ./configure --with-audio=alsa --prefix=/usr/local/arm-linux --host=arm-linux CC=arm-linux-gnueabi-gcc \
GCC=arm-linux-gnueabi-g++ CFLAGS=-DEMBEDDED CFLAGS="-I/usr/local/arm-linux/include" \
LDFLAGS="-L/usr/local/arm-linux/lib/alsa-lib" LD_LIBRARY_PATH="/usr/local/arm-linux/lib/alsa-lib" \
LDFLAGS="-L/usr/local/arm-linux/lib" LD_LIBRARY_PATH="-L/usr/local/arm-linux/lib"

Run make (remember that this must be gnu make or gmake)

# make

This make will fail, and these are the instructions to fix it.

---------------
Some of the files on flite need to be modified in order to get this to compile.

# cd tools

And change the Makefile inside /tools

this:
$(CC) $(CFLAGS) -o $@ find_sts_main.o $(FLITELIBFLAGS) $(LDFLAGS)
for this:
$(CC) -L/usr/local/arm-linux/lib $(CFLAGS) -o $@ find_sts_main.o $(FLITELIBFLAGS) $(LDFLAGS)

and also,

this:
$(CC) $(CFLAGS) -o $@ flite_sort_main.o $(FLITELIBFLAGS) $(LDFLAGS)
for this:
$(CC) -L/usr/local/arm-linux/lib $(CFLAGS) -o $@ flite_sort_main.o $(FLITELIBFLAGS) $(LDFLAGS)
---------------
Then you have to change the Makefile inside /main

this:
$(CC) $(CFLAGS) -o $@ flite_main.o flite_voice_list.o $(flite_LIBS_flags) $(LDFLAGS)
for:
$(CC) -L/usr/local/arm-linux/lib $(CFLAGS) -o $@ flite_main.o flite_voice_list.o $(flite_LIBS_flags) $(LDFLAGS)

this:
$(CC) $(CFLAGS) -o $@ flite_time_main.o $(flite_time_LIBS_flags) $(FLITELIBFLAGS) $(LDFLAGS)
for:
$(CC) -L/usr/local/arm-linux/lib $(CFLAGS) -o $@ flite_time_main.o $(flite_time_LIBS_flags) $(FLITELIBFLAGS) $(LDFLAGS)

this:
$(CC) $(CFLAGS) -o $@ t2p_main.o $(flite_LIBS_flags) $(LDFLAGS)
for:
$(CC) -L/usr/local/arm-linux/lib $(CFLAGS) -o $@ t2p_main.o $(flite_LIBS_flags) $(LDFLAGS)

this:
$(CC) $(CFLAGS) -o $@ compile_regexes.o $(FLITELIBFLAGS) $(LDFLAGS)
for:
$(CC) -L/usr/local/arm-linux/lib $(CFLAGS) -o $@ compile_regexes.o $(FLITELIBFLAGS) $(LDFLAGS)

this:
$(CC) $(CFLAGS) -o $@ flite_main.o flite_voice_list.o $(flite_LIBS_flags) $(LDFLAGS)
for:
$(CC) -L/usr/local/arm-linux/lib $(CFLAGS) -o $@ flite_main.o flite_voice_list.o $(flite_LIBS_flags) $(LDFLAGS)

And finally...

# sudo make install
----------------------------------------------

Last edited by Lupines; 01-31-2013 at 01:02 AM.
Old 01-30-2013, 02:33 AM   #13
Lupines

text-to-speech, flite

Quote:
http://tcts.fpms.ac.be/synthesis/mbr....html#phonetic

Looks promising

Looks interesting

http://archive.debian.net/lenny/armel/eflite/download

Looks very interesting.. EDIT: it was moderately so...

http://packages.debian.org/squeeze/a...speak/download

also going to have a look at that one...

Yep - this one was the winner.

Will look to getting it native then...

root@kindle:/# espeak -X "I am the funkiest kindle in the world" 2> /dev/null
Spoiler:

Code:
Found: 'i am' [aIa#m]    0xc0000080/400
Found: 'the' [D@2]    0xc0000200/4
Translate 'funkiest'
  1	f        [f]

1	u        [V]

1	n        [n]
 22	nk       [Nk]

118	&) iest (_S3i  [@st]
 36	ie       [I]
  1	i        [I]

Translate 'funky'
  1	f        [f]

1	u        [V]

1	n        [n]
 22	nk       [Nk]

41	&) y (_  [I]
 20	C) y     [I]
  1	y        [j]
 22	y (_     [aI]

Translate 'kindle'
  1	k        [k]

93	k) in (dl [In]
 78	k) in (d [aIn]
  1	i        [I]

1	d        [d]

76	&) le (_ [l]
 95	&C) le (_ [@L]
  1	l        [l]

Found: 'in the' [InD@2]    0xc0000080/0
Translate 'world'
  1	w        [w]

57	w) or    [3:]
 36	or       [o@]
  1	o        [0]

1	l        [l]
 20	l (C     [l]

1	d        [d]

Code:
 aIa#m D@2 f'VNkI;@st k'Ind@L InD@2 w'3:ld
Okay. so that would work via debian.

I had trouble ripping the jack libs out of debian.

Probably a native build of that app (without jack and pulseaudio) would go a long to way to bridging the gap you described in the top post.

It exports the phoneme's to STDOUT as I have pictured via the -x option and --phonout="<filename>"

And the realtime speech synth would doubtless meet the needs of the casual "make it do something cool!" user also.

That's my thoughts.
You can check this out https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=204275

I got it to work.
Lupines.
Old 01-30-2013, 06:35 AM   #14
twobob

The bug. That makes it not work the first time... It's probably the soundcard taking it's sweet time to respond. And probably not your fault. I seem to recall some horrible workaround I came up with.... erm... aplay ./10msSilence.wav; ./doNextThing.sh seems to ring a bell. I also seem to recall we possibly located a kernel level bug that was probably at fault. It would all be in the original Audio Thread I think

I can't seem to grab those mega files. Links okay? I am not getting a "Download files" or "Enter decryption key" page. Just the home page. Would like to play with them : D

(Text to speech options in KUAL? maybe... would be nice to have some accessibility on the devices that can support it.)

Once I can I will give this a full testing out. Great work. thanks.

Last edited by twobob; 01-30-2013 at 07:35 AM.
Old 01-30-2013, 07:45 AM   #15
dsmid
Linux devotee
dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle 4B, Kindle PW2
Do you plan to create a ttsd replacement ?
Two years ago I started to work on it but then discovered a TTS voice suitable for the built-in TTS engine and lost my interest.
All I have is a stub listening on DBus.
dsmid is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
speech;text;flite, text;speech;wav;mp3