Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 11-11-2011, 12:37 AM   #1
pokee
Fanatic
pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.

Device: Kobo WiFi, Kobo Glo, Kobo Vox, Samsung Galaxy S4, Samsung Tab2
Netflix No Longer Working!!!!

I tried Netflix 1.5.0 several times this past week and it worked fine. After I installed Flash 11, it stopped working! I now get the message, "You must install the latest version of Netflix to continue"...but I know that version doesn't work. Anyone else have the same message?
pokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 01:26 AM   #2
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Try installing the new Netflix, pokee. It just might be that it would not work until the new Flash was installed and now all is well. I can't check as I don't get Netflix.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-11-2011, 02:26 AM   #3
mcrmama
Addict
mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.

Device: Kobo Aura One
I have the same issue. When it tried to update Netflix, it gets stuck at 100%. If you exit out, it will let you go back in, but is so laggy the picture does not match the speech at all so it probably does need the update. On the plus side, it will let me in with canadian account so hopefully this will get fixed and we will be good to go.
mcrmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 09:50 AM   #4
yoshid
yoshid began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Vox
yup, upgrade to flash 11 killed netflix on vox. you might have to rollback to previous version of flash and netflix 1.50
yoshid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 11:02 AM   #5
mcrmama
Addict
mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.

I tried rolling back flash and reinstalling netflix and that did not work. It will not let you use netflix without upgrading but the upgrade will not complete.
Advert
Old 11-11-2011, 11:19 AM   #6
yoshid
yoshid began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Vox
same here jodi, I did exactly same thing with exactly same results.
bummer, it was working really well...
yoshid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 03:47 PM   #7
jefftheworld
Groupie
jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.

Device: Kobo, Kobo Vox
I don't believe the Netflix app uses Flash, the update has to do with the fact that Netflix pushed a new version of the app out and has stopped supporting the old one.

Doing the update from within the app fails at 99%, so I'll try grabbing a copy of the newest version from my phone and I'll report back.
jefftheworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 07:54 PM   #8
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Pokee reported that the old app stopped working when the new flash 11 was installed.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 09:19 PM   #9
jefftheworld
Groupie
jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.

Device: Kobo, Kobo Vox
Sounds like a coincidence to me. Netflix does not require or use the flaah apk as far as I can tell. I've upgraded to the most recent version which installs and appears to work, even letting you open a movie and bringing you to the same spot. However, it seems unable to then stream anything.

I'll certainly be looking into a workaround fpr this, as I use Netflix a lot. I might be able to keep 1.5.0 from checking for updates, which has worked in the past with other apps.

Warning: Highly Technical Talk Below

Okay, so I've been able to disassemble the Netflix .dex file (which is the main dalvik executable) and I'm now pretty familiar with the code that checks for updates. However, I can't simply recompile the disassembled code so it's not as easy as just removing that update check code and being done with it. However, I might be able to build a fix that externally prevents the app from checking the server for new versions.

I'll keep you updated but if anyone has any thoughts on recompiling disassembled dalvik, I'd love to talk!

I've also found some settings for the vomp playback engine that the app uses which I can recompile into the apk (because it's outside of the .dex executable). It has a bunch of default settings as well as some settings that are device specific. I'll play around with this and see if perhaps changing some settings might get it working.

Last edited by jefftheworld; 11-11-2011 at 11:01 PM.
jefftheworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 11:06 PM   #10
pokee
Fanatic
pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.

Device: Kobo WiFi, Kobo Glo, Kobo Vox, Samsung Galaxy S4, Samsung Tab2
Haha Jeff...you kill me! I was almost afraid to read what you wrote underneath your text highlighted in red!

Thanks for looking into this...hope you have success!!!
pokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 08:37 PM   #11
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
I just installed Netflix 1.5.0 (after installing Flash FWIW). I got the must upgrade message and tapped OK where it then stalled at 0%. I tapped home and reopened the app and was able to sign in and start a video, but has a super low frame rate and in way out of sync. I assume this isn't how it was working for others earlier.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 11:40 PM   #12
mcrmama
Addict

Brian, I had the same experience as you. I now tried to install the new version on a fresh install (I had forgotten Jeff had tried this, maybe wishful thinking, lol) and it won't stream just as he experienced when he tried it. Hopefully, we'll get lucky and someone will work out a work around or an update that will work. We love netflix around here.