Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 01-24-2011, 11:11 AM   #46
Mortis
Canucklehead in Malaysia
Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Littermate View Post
Just to expand on my previous comment a little. Mostly Harmless.

HHGTTG is something that I find myself utterly unable to be objective about. It is ingrained into my psyche as deeply as any other formative experience from my childhood and teen years. I can quote whole sections of the thing almost verbatim, along with Monty Python and Faulty Towers. I woke one Sunday morning in bed and switched on the radio and found the very first episode of the very first radio series just about to begin. I was there at the beginning. I had never heard anything like it, ever, and I lay in bed laughing so much my mother banged on the wall. (I wish I'd listened to my mother - Why, what did she say? - I don't know; I didn't listen!) I bought the LP's, read the books, missed the TV shows because I was going to night classes, hated the movie, then started all over again back at the radio shows, over and again.

It was a phenomenon and I am glad I was there at its start because no one now will ever get it quite the same way they would have got it back then. Better than digital watches!
I think your experiences would be mirrored by anyone, with a sense of humour, in their late 40's or 50's. I honestly don't think I know a person who hasn't read HHGTTG, well yes perhaps I should get out more, but it's true, everyone of my friends has read it and everyone of them hated the movie.

Last edited by Mortis; 01-24-2011 at 11:11 AM. Reason: typo
Mortis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 11:24 AM   #47
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
I didn't "hate" the movie, not not it wasn't awesome. It has some funny parts... and it was nice to see how someone else imagined various aliens and characters would look.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-24-2011, 03:22 PM   #48
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
You caught me before I edited my post. 42 (base 10) = 33 ( base 13).

So I'm not sure of the significance of "6 x 9"? Did I miss something when I read the book?

As for the book itself, I found it very entertaining and plan on reading the rest in the series.
I see what you're saying. 33 is, of course, how 42 would be notated in a base 13 system, while I was referring to what 42 in a base 13 system represents in a base 10 system (54).

I won't spoil the ending of the first sequel for you, so I'll simply say along with Paul that it might have something to do with the question, "What do you get when you multiply six by nine?"

...or maybe not.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 03:33 PM   #49
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littermate View Post
Just to expand on my previous comment a little. Mostly Harmless.

HHGTTG is something that I find myself utterly unable to be objective about. It is ingrained into my psyche as deeply as any other formative experience from my childhood and teen years. I can quote whole sections of the thing almost verbatim, along with Monty Python and Faulty Towers. I woke one Sunday morning in bed and switched on the radio and found the very first episode of the very first radio series just about to begin. I was there at the beginning. I had never heard anything like it, ever, and I lay in bed laughing so much my mother banged on the wall. (I wish I'd listened to my mother - Why, what did she say? - I don't know; I didn't listen!) I bought the LP's, read the books, missed the TV shows because I was going to night classes, hated the movie, then started all over again back at the radio shows, over and again.

It was a phenomenon and I am glad I was there at its start because no one now will ever get it quite the same way they would have got it back then. Better than digital watches!
The radio shows and the books were the best, but the TV series wasn't bad, either; despite the super-hokey ultra-low-budget special effects. If you can find it, I'm sure you'll enjoy it. I have the VHS box set.
Old 01-24-2011, 03:45 PM   #50
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
I didn't "hate" the movie, not not it wasn't awesome. It has some funny parts... and it was nice to see how someone else imagined various aliens and characters would look.

BOb
I wouldn't say I hated it as much as I feel it would be hard to imagine a more disappointing adaption of a modern classic. It's sad to think that there are people walking around who, solely on the basis of having seen that mediocre movie, think that now they know what the fuss was all about.
Advert
Old 01-26-2011, 02:23 PM   #51
PitterPat
PitterPat has learned how to read e-booksPitterPat has learned how to read e-booksPitterPat has learned how to read e-booksPitterPat has learned how to read e-booksPitterPat has learned how to read e-booksPitterPat has learned how to read e-booksPitterPat has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle 3
I like the comparison of The Hitchhiker's Guide to Wikipedia and ereaders. Makes me want a Don't Panic logo on my Kindle cover.

I read Hitchhiker's guide and the next 2 books way back in the 80's. Also loved to play the Infocom game based on the book. Ahhhh...back in the day of text based games. You can download it from various places on the web. For those of you who don't remember text based games I highly suggest you check it out. Spent many, many hours playing those games. Yes, I am a nerd

I need to reread the books since it has been so long since my original read. I do remember the answer is 42. Also, I remember some about the Restaurant at the End of the Universe.

I have never heard the radio show nor seen the movie. Now if I can just get my 19 year old son to read the books. Of course he thinks anything mom thinks is funny must be lame.
PitterPat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 12:10 AM   #52
amo
Teaist
amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.

Device: Kobo WiFi, Kobo Aura ONE, Android cell phone
I thought the movie was okay- funny, even. It wasn't precisely a good illustration of the book- it's more like it took the book for an inspiration to make an equally weird movie which had a somewhat different feel and storyline. Have never experienced the radio plays or TV series; I suppose I'm too young and/or too recently arrived in English-speaking countries. But I read the books first, and then watched the movie, and enjoyed the lot. Especially Alan Rickman's voice as Marvin- and Martin Freeman was a great Arthur Dent, even though, again, he was different than I had pictured him. And Slartibartfast- who could not like Slartibartfast? "I said it's not important!"
Incidentally, didn't Douglas Adams have a hand in creating the film? He's credited as one of the scriptwriters; but I believe he died before the movie was finished (or maybe even before it was started).

Yeah, the Hitchhiker's Guide as world's first ereader- what an excellent concept.
amo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 06:04 AM   #53
dworth
Zealot
dworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle pc
The complete radio series is available on various formats from Amazon.co.uk (and probably the other outlets). I heartily recommend it. Peter Jones' narration as the voice of The Book is spot on, and Marvin is simply wonderful.

Somehow I've often felt that if we journeyed among the stars and met new life and new civilisations it would be more like H2G2 than Star Trek. At least I'd hope so.
dworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 05:07 AM   #54
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
I wouldn't say I hated it as much as I feel it would be hard to imagine a more disappointing adaption of a modern classic.
The film version of Philip Pullman's "His Dark Materials" would quality for that award, for me.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 04:12 PM   #55
tponzo
Addict
tponzo doesn't littertponzo doesn't littertponzo doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS 900(gave it to my sister); Sony PRS-T1; onyx book note air
couldn't agree more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe
I wouldn't say I hated it as much as I feel it would be hard to imagine a more disappointing adaption of a modern classic.

The film version of Philip Pullman's "His Dark Materials" would quality for that award, for me.
I liked Philip Pullman's trilogy but the first movie pretty much sucked.
tponzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 04:44 AM   #56
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
"I have an exceptionally large mind."

Would ladies consider that attractive?
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 05:23 AM   #57
CazMar
Book Geek
CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Asus MemPad 7" tablet, Nexus 5, Asus 10" tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
I wouldn't say I hated it as much as I feel it would be hard to imagine a more disappointing adaption of a modern classic. It's sad to think that there are people walking around who, solely on the basis of having seen that mediocre movie, think that now they know what the fuss was all about.
I only enjoyed the movie because I could relate it to the book and the radio series. Being brought up on the Goons and The Young Ones I love the humour! But Benny Hill just bores me.
Unfortunately one of my Douglas Adams books was "borrowed" and never returned. I'd love to buy them for my Kobo but unfortunately no ebook version available in Australia - in fact I couldn't find a legal epub version available anywhere. A pity as there are a lot of potential readers here on Mobile Read.
CazMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 06:12 AM   #58
iq6000
Enthusiast
iq6000 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!iq6000 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!iq6000 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!iq6000 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!iq6000 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!iq6000 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!iq6000 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!iq6000 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!iq6000 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!iq6000 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!iq6000 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: ECO Reader, iPhone
Have never read the book

I have never read the books, not sure if I want to.
The radio play is it for me. My sisters and I first heard it when FM (stereo!) radio was introduced to Australia and we used to sit on the floor next to the stereo with our giant headphones on to get the full effect. Modern technology was marvellous!!
I downloaded it for my iPod last year, and listened to it while travelling from Sydney to Brisbane on the train, just after Christmas - much more discreet!
The version I downloaded included interviews at the end - and I think this section was produced when they were about to make the movie and just before Douglas Adams' death.
I have videos of the TV series, which I believe had basically the same cast as the radio plays.
I am not really sure if I want to know the rest of the series either.
My daughter loves the series but was introduced to it by the movie so thinks my videos are a bit primitive. She has read the books but I haven't persuaded her to listen to the play yet.
I can highly recommend the radio plays anyway.

Angela
iq6000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 06:22 AM   #59
dworth
Zealot
dworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle pc
Might be worth mentioning, the BBC recently did a dramatisation of 'Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency' with Steven Mangan and Helen Baxendale. Still watchable here if you're in the UK:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00wqfl2

Not bad, though it was squashed into an hour.
dworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 09:48 AM   #60
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dworth View Post
Might be worth mentioning, the BBC recently did a dramatisation of 'Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency' with Steven Mangan and Helen Baxendale. Still watchable here if you're in the UK:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00wqfl2

Not bad, though it was squashed into an hour.
Got the old, "Not available in your area" message. Figured I would, but it was worth a shot. Thanks for the link, anyway. Now that I know it exists, I may try to find a copy that is accessible in the U.S.