Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-20-2010, 02:25 PM   #1
ltr
Addict
ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.

Device: Kindle PW-2
Kobo wi-fi pre-order

I'd love to play with the new Kobo e-reader, but I'm still waiting for delivery after pre-ordering well over a week ago.

I thought the idea of pre-ordering was to receive the reader quickly? I could have gone to my local Chapters and picked it up two days ago. Not much advantage in pre-ordering.

Has anyone who pre-ordered it actually received it, and when did you put your order in?

It would be great if Kobo would let people know what's happening...

ltr
ltr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 02:41 PM   #2
JexMcByte
Enthusiast
JexMcByte began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Wifi, New Kindle Paperwhite
I'm also confused. Usually you pre-order before it being available anywhere. As many people here alreayd bought I had the impression that the site was stating it as pre-order for Nov 10th by mistake.
Why it's pre-order on site and available on stores ? Stock size ? Like just a few units on each store and main delivery due to Nov 10th ?
JexMcByte is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-20-2010, 03:51 PM   #3
ZombWii
Enthusiast
ZombWii began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
I followed the order tracking link supplied to me in my confirmation email.
On Monday it said "Order picked up...In Transit....At Processing..." etc...
On Tuesday afternoon it said "...Delivered Successfully!"...so I ran down to my local Chapters and it was waiting at their order desk for me.

If you opted for home delivery, well the processing (Canada post) might take a little longer for individual orders vs. store bulk orders...or Canada Post might be doing the whole trying to deliver 3 times thing and you don't know anything about it until you get the notice that you've missed them 3 times and now have to wait until the next day so that you can pick it up at Shoppers Drug Mart or whatever...

Sorry, I know that's not real helpful. I did however notice that my pre-order reciept said delivery may take 4-6 days after shipping. So you couldn't say you haven't been warned.
ZombWii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 04:08 PM   #4
Panda988
Panda988 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo WiFi
I preordered mine a day or two after it was announced, and I received it yesterday. I wasn't home when they attempted to deliver it, so I did have to go to my local Canada Post outlet and sign for it.
Panda988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 05:20 AM   #5
Achan
Recently Kobofied
Achan has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kobo wifi
They called me yesterday (Tuesday) because of an apparent double order that was supposed to have been already fixed so I canceled both pre-orders since I was also disappointed how long it takes to receive the pre-ordered item. Went to a chapters and picked one up. Even though it was supposed to start selling on monday, i went to a chapters on the weekend and they said they had already started selling it...but i didnt know i was going to cancel then...oh well. I treat it as a lesson to never pre-order.
Achan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-21-2010, 10:08 AM   #6
JCKobo
Kobo Product Guy
JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: Kobo Vox
Quote:
Originally Posted by JexMcByte View Post
Usually you pre-order before it being available anywhere.
That was the original plan, but due to some delays in shipping, the devices arrived at Chapters/Indigo stores before they were at the central warehouse for shipping, so the stores were able to start selling before all the pre-orders went out.

Pre-order customers were still the only ones able to get the 2 free books though - if you bought in store, you didn't get them.
JCKobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 01:38 PM   #7
ltr
Addict
ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCKobo View Post
.....Pre-order customers were still the only ones able to get the 2 free books though - if you bought in store, you didn't get them.
Fair enough, but ordering the Kobo on-line from Chapters this week offered 15% off all regular priced covers.

The pre-order from Kobo has been a real disappointment for me as I'm still waiting for my unit(s) and no word from Kobo about the holdup.

Customers that put their money down for a pre-order, reasonably expect they will be the first to receive their merchandise. If customers off the street can pick up the device before the pre-orders have been honoured, they should at least expect an e-mail as to the reason why, and perhaps an apology.

Also, in my experience with on-line ordering there should be an e-mail sent to the customer showing the status of the order changing from processing to ready to be shipped. This is not the case. The processing status implies it's awaiting approval of some sort.

Kobo, has something to learn about on-line ordering, in my opinion. So far, I'm an unsatisfied customer.

ltr
Old 10-21-2010, 01:42 PM   #8
JCKobo
Kobo Product Guy
JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltr View Post
Also, in my experience with on-line ordering there should be an e-mail sent to the customer showing the status of the order changing from processing to ready to be shipped. This is not the case. The processing status implies it's awaiting approval of some sort.
You should have received these emails - I got mine today. PM me your email address or order # and I can check on the status for you. Our customer service team can do the same.
Old 10-21-2010, 06:20 PM   #9
ltr
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCKobo View Post
You should have received these emails - I got mine today. PM me your email address or order # and I can check on the status for you. Our customer service team can do the same.
Thanks for the reply.

I already phoned the customer service team yesterday and since they have no access to order or customer information they could do nothing but take down all my particulars and send an e-mail to level 2 support with the promise they would contact me. Makes me wonder what the level 1 support actual does?

The level 2 support has not contacted me since.

I did receive an e-mail this afternoon from Kobo e-reader Sales that contains a shipping # and a tracking #, but fails to inform me where I am to use this tracking number. I searched and plugged it into Purolator, UPS and Canada Post, but they all fail to recognize the number.

It sure would have been easier to simply buy it from the Chapters store.

ltr
Old 10-21-2010, 08:59 PM   #10
Dorian_Gray
Dorian_Gray began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Reminds me of the Seinfeld episode where Jerry has reserved a rental car.

They knew how to take the reservation, but not how to keep the reservation.

They knew how to take the pre-order, but not how to deliver the pre-order.

When I pre-order, I expect to receive the item in question prior to it hitting the shelves, not one or two weeks after.

I'm making due with my original Kobo, patched blue button and all, for now.

Patience is a virtue I guess.
Dorian_Gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 12:56 PM   #11
dfarrell
dfarrell began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo eReader
Hi ltr,

My name is David and I work for Kobo.

If you'd like to send me your name via a Private message I can search for your order for you and send you a tracking number. The majority of the Kobo WiFi were sent out yesterday.

Regards,
David
dfarrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 04:35 PM   #12
ltr
Addict

Thanks David. Yep, my order just showed up. Better late than never.

It would be nice if the e-mail shipping confirmations stated which company the tracking number was associated with, or perhaps a link that would jump to the tracking software. Just supplying someone a tracking number is a bit confusing.

Anyway, thanks for the interest - I have finally got my device.

ltr
Old 10-24-2010, 02:29 PM   #13
JCKobo
Kobo Product Guy

Glad you got it, ltr. I'll give our fulfillment team your feedback. This isn't an excuse, but Google is pretty good at figuring out which company tracking codes are for if you just Google them