Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 04-17-2013, 08:50 AM   #1
Rhialto
Enthusiast
Rhialto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rhialto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rhialto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rhialto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rhialto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rhialto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rhialto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rhialto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rhialto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rhialto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rhialto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Google Glass as a mobile reading platform?

Google is now selling Glass to app developers and issuing guidelines.

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/0...ref=technology

Is it feasible to contemplate at some point in the future reading an e-book on such a wearable device? Perhaps in a half-lit room looking at a blank wall?
Rhialto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 09:02 AM   #2
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen, Kindle Touch
It's very possible that wearable displays could be used for book reading in the future. Right now, the technology isn't quite ready. It's hard to tell now if reading from a wearable display would be enjoyable. I could see problems if people were using it to read while driving!
QuantumIguana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 12:07 PM   #3
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
Not sure I'd want to read on a 2 inch screen.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 12:26 PM   #4
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen, Kindle Touch
Two inches directly in front of your eyes appears to be quite large. One company sells a wearable video display, and they claim it is the equivalent of watching a 92" TV set at a distance of 10 feet. http://itvgoggles.com/
QuantumIguana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 12:29 PM   #5
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucfgrad93 View Post
Your retinas are smaller than that and you read on those just fine!
Seriously, there's a lot of factors involved, and the physical size doesn't need to be the dominant one. If done right.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 12:31 PM   #6
Teknikal
Fanatic
Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, Note Pro 12.2, Honor 10
Doesn't work like that the display is only in a tiny corner of the glasses and doesn't fill your whole vision, I suspect this Google thing will seriously make a lot of people cross eyed.

Can't imagine even viewing a website on it let alone reading a book myself.
Teknikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 12:53 PM   #7
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknikal View Post
Doesn't work like that the display is only in a tiny corner of the glasses and doesn't fill your whole vision, I suspect this Google thing will seriously make a lot of people cross eyed.

Can't imagine even viewing a website on it let alone reading a book myself.
Depends on the apparent focus distance, resolution, transparency, etc. Heads-Up-Displays have been around for a while. Every reason to think advancing technology will keep making them better.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 05:45 PM   #8
AdelaideSandy
AdelaideSandy began at the beginning.

Device: None
Are we missing the point?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
Your retinas are smaller than that and you read on those just fine!
Seriously, there's a lot of factors involved, and the physical size doesn't need to be the dominant one. If done right.
I don't think the idea of text display will be the same as the Left to right top to bottom strategy we all use today. Won't it just flash at you on the screen at the speed you choose? Speed reading applications like Spreeder will be developing apps for GG I am certain. No eye movement necessary.
AdelaideSandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 09:25 PM   #9
Anthem
Guru
Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, OnePlus Nord
I suppose reading on wearable computing could be possible in the future, but that device will not be the Google Glass. It is just not suited for it. And the watches won't be, either.

So, there may be some sort of wearable reader... but I have no idea what it would look like.

Rubber band a Kindle to your shoulder?
Anthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 12:33 AM   #10
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
I suppose reading on wearable computing could be possible in the future, but that device will not be the Google Glass. It is just not suited for it. And the watches won't be, either.

So, there may be some sort of wearable reader... but I have no idea what it would look like.

Rubber band a Kindle to your shoulder?
Why isn't it suited for it, and how exactly is a rubber-banded Kindle "wearable computing" any more than the one held in my hand and stored in my pocket? Perhaps it too is wearable computing if I wrap the strap around the back of my hand.

The watches I agree, they're too small. But floating the text in your field of vision is perfectly reasonable, it's the concept behind a HUD.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 12:55 AM   #11
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil
doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD (R.I.P. After six years the USB socket died.) tolino shine 3
Waiting for Google Brain to flash the whole shebang right into my cortex.
doubleshuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 01:04 AM   #12
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleshuffle View Post
Waiting for Google Brain to flash the whole shebang right into my cortex.
That WOULD be awesome.

Reminds me of the BrainPal in John Scalzi's Old Man's War.
Old 11-12-2013, 01:32 AM   #13
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil
doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD (R.I.P. After six years the USB socket died.) tolino shine 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
That WOULD be awesome.

Reminds me of the BrainPal in John Scalzi's Old Man's War.
Have yet to read that. Bought it with the first Humble ebook bundle, but there's so much on my TBR pile.

Anyway, I've heard there are two versions of Google Brain in development: the sleek, small, expensive one that is just implanted on top of your biological brain, and the cheaper, bulkier version which you have to make room for by removing the wetware - which, however, will enable you to get a huge discount by trading the removed parts to Google Braaaiins.
doubleshuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 01:38 AM   #14
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

I'd like to suggest option 2 to a few people I know...

They could make useful organic robots once their useless brain goes. And it's relatively undetectable, too! Just gotta be careful they don't go on any planes...
Old 11-12-2013, 07:12 AM   #15
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucfgrad93 View Post
with one bad eye....
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote