Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 08-13-2008, 11:54 AM   #1
PsyDocJoanne
Loves her 505 and her Z4!
PsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enoughPsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enoughPsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enoughPsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enoughPsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enoughPsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-505
Format question: Sony 505--MOBI/eReader

Hi everyone,

I've been in the process of deciding on a reader. Right now I'm giving a workout to the Kindle, which I've had for a week, and the Sony 505, which I just got yesterday.

I know this is a ridiculously simple question...but I was browsing for the Sony over at Fictionwise, and I noticed that a lot of the books are available in secure Mobipocket or eReader formats, but not in Adobe PDF.

Is there a way to convert these files so I can read them on the Sony?

Thanks is advance!
Joanne
PsyDocJoanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 12:03 PM   #2
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by PsyDocJoanne View Post
I know this is a ridiculously simple question...but I was browsing for the Sony over at Fictionwise, and I noticed that a lot of the books are available in secure Mobipocket or eReader formats, but not in Adobe PDF.

Is there a way to convert these files so I can read them on the Sony?
Yes... but you would have to remove the DRM which is "technically" illegal in many countries. Most buy the LIT for this reason, since it is very easy to remove the DRM. Also, LIT is easy to convert to .LRF for the SOny using calibre.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 12:11 PM   #3
PsyDocJoanne
PsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enoughPsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enoughPsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enoughPsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enoughPsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enoughPsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enough

Hi Pilotbob...

First of all, thanks! I felt like kind of an idiot for asking

Since I'm still in the process of learning, let me just see if I'm understanding you correctly...

My impression is that removing DRM at all is illegal, yes? Now, I guess I feel slightly differently about removing DRM from products I've purchased for my own use, but that's a different thread. So, in theory, I would download files in .LIT format, right? And what is that "called" on Fictionwise (is that eReader, or something else?). Then, I would need to install Calibre on my PC, and it will convert the .LIT to .LRF?

My apologies for being naive about all this...and thanks for the help!!

Joanne
Old 08-13-2008, 01:22 PM   #4
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
My impression is that removing DRM at all is illegal, yes?
In the US the DMCA makes it illegal. However, there are exceptions and such. "I am not a lawyer buy Ricky Mavity is."

Quote:
So, in theory, I would download files in .LIT format, right? And what is that "called" on Fictionwise (is that eReader, or something else?). Then, I would need to install Calibre on my PC, and it will convert the .LIT to .LRF?
Yes, LIT is called MS Reader format. Here are the steps...

1. Download the LIT file.
2. Remove the DRM (google for convertLIT and search here for it)
3. Use calibre to conver the LIT file to .LRF

To do the above you need to download and register MS Reader on your PC. You will also need to download convertLIT and calibre. Once you have done the steps once or twice you will see it takes more time for me to type this message than to buy, remove DRM, convert, start reading.

BOb
Old 08-13-2008, 01:33 PM   #5
MerLock
Evangelist
MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Are eReader and MS Reader different formats? I get really confused with all these formats out there as well.
MerLock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 01:35 PM   #6
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MerLock View Post
Are eReader and MS Reader different formats? I get really confused with all these formats out there as well.
Yes.

BOb
Old 08-13-2008, 01:39 PM   #7
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by MerLock View Post
Are eReader and MS Reader different formats?
Yes. The DRM on both is crackable (use ereader2html to strip the DRM from eReader), but MS Reader (LIT, in a .lit file) is generally the better format for archiving and format shifting.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 02:39 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
In the US the DMCA makes it illegal. However, there are exceptions and such. "I am not a lawyer buy Ricky Mavity is."
In the USA the DMCA allows removing the DRM from MS Reader format since the read aloud feature has been disabled by the DRM. It's one of the xception to the DMCA that allows this.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 04:26 PM   #9
PsyDocJoanne

Thanks everyone!

OK, so I downloaded and activated MS Reader. That all went fine. Downloaded a test book from Fictionwise. Opened without a problem. Downloaded, unzipped convertLIT. Seemed to go swimmingly!

However, it all got frustrating when I went to look for the .lit file. Can't find it anywhere! I searched all hidden/files folders, etc! It won't let me specify a path for downloading, it just says its going to a temporary file, but when I look in the temp file, no .lit file!

Can anyone help?

Thanks,
Joanne

Last edited by PsyDocJoanne; 08-13-2008 at 04:27 PM. Reason: (edited to add that I'm running Vista, if that happens to matter!)
Old 08-13-2008, 04:38 PM   #10
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
However, it all got frustrating when I went to look for the .lit file. Can't find it anywhere! I searched all hidden/files folders, etc! It won't let me specify a path for downloading, it just says its going to a temporary file, but when I look in the temp file, no .lit file!
You probably ran the explode process of convertLit. Run the downconvert option. Run convertlit with any parameters and it will display help on using this option.

BOb
Old 08-13-2008, 04:39 PM   #11
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
OK, so I downloaded and activated MS Reader. That all went fine. Downloaded a test book from Fictionwise. Opened without a problem. Downloaded, unzipped convertLIT. Seemed to go swimmingly!
did you also follow the convertLIT readme to create your keys.txt file?

BOb
Old 08-13-2008, 05:07 PM   #12
PsyDocJoanne

Oh, sorry...I think my post was unclear. I never actually got to use convertlit...well, at least not yet.

I was referring to trying to browse my hard drive for the .lit file I had downloaded from Fictionwise, not the output from the convertlit program.
Old 08-13-2008, 05:09 PM   #13
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Oh, sorry...I think my post was unclear. I never actually got to use convertlit...well, at least not yet.

I was referring to trying to browse my hard drive for the .lit file I had downloaded from Fictionwise, not the output from the convertlit program.
Oh... its in something like My Documents\ebooks or My eBooks.

BOb
Old 08-13-2008, 05:33 PM   #14
sianon
Addict
sianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony 500, Bebook, Kindle, Eco reader Drs and soon the Archos 9
Look in your "my documents" folder for a folder called "my library".

did you also follow the convertLIT readme to create your keys.txt file?
Bob, what do you mean by this. I use convert lit but the only way it will work for me is to extract the contents, then I can access the HTML file and convert this to RTF. This works well enough, but I am finding some files contain multiple HTML files for each chapter and I am not prepared to spend the time compiling these into a readable book.

Karen
sianon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 05:58 PM   #15
PsyDocJoanne

It's not in my documents, my library, or my ebooks folders. It's also not in temp, temporary internet files, or any other folder as far as I can tell.

Regular search of all of hard drive found nothing, and after changing permissions to see all hidden files and folders, still nothing.

Frustrating, I tell you