Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 09-30-2012, 01:02 PM   #1
Mixx
Zealot
Mixx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mixx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mixx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mixx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 3
Catalog error on creation

Hi,

I am experiencing the following error upon an attempt to create a catalog. It must have to do with specific books, not the size of the catalog, because I can create much bigger catalogs that this one (some 300 books only). I ascertained that the problem lies within these 331 books. If I exclude them, then I do not get an error.

How do I figure out which book is the culprit?

Thanxx for any help,

Mixx

Here is the trace:
Spoiler:

calibre, version 0.9.0 (win32, isfrozen: True)
Conversion Error: Failed: Generate catalog

Generate catalog
Failed to initialize plugin: u'C:\\Users\\Mixx\\AppData\\Roaming\\calibre\\plug ins\\Amazon German.zip'
Sections: Authors, Titles, Genres, Descriptions
Catalog_EPUB_MOBI(): Generating mobi for kindle in GUI environment
connected_device: 'None'
book count: 331
opts:
author_clip: 60
catalog_title: u'Katalog'
connected_kindle: False
creator: u'Sonntag, September 30, 2012'
description_clip: 100
exclude_genre: u'\\[.+\\]'
exclusion_rules: ()
fmt: u'mobi'
header_note_source_field: ''
merge_comments_rule: '::True'
output_profile: 'kindle'
prefix_rules: ()
search_text: None
sort_by: None
sort_descriptions_by_author: True
sync: False
thumb_width: u'1.00'
use_existing_cover: False
Thumbnails:
DPI = 168; thumbnail dimensions: 84 x 112
existing thumb cache at C:\Users\Mixx\AppData\Roaming\calibre\caches\catal og\thumbs.zip, cached_thumb_width: 1.00"
Begin catalog source generation
unhandled exception in catalog generator
Python function terminated unexpectedly
need a single Unicode character as parameter (Error Code: 1)
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site.py", line 132, in main
File "site.py", line 109, in run_entry_point
File "site-packages\calibre\utils\ipc\worker.py", line 186, in main
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\convert\gui_conversion.py", line 68, in gui_catalog
File "site-packages\calibre\library\catalogs\epub_mobi.py", line 335, in run
File "site-packages\calibre\library\catalogs\epub_mobi_builde r.py", line 270, in build_sources
File "site-packages\calibre\library\catalogs\epub_mobi_builde r.py", line 1317, in generate_html_by_author
File "site-packages\calibre\library\catalogs\epub_mobi_builde r.py", line 4249, in generate_unicode_name
TypeError: need a single Unicode character as parameter

Last edited by Mixx; 09-30-2012 at 01:06 PM.
Mixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 02:06 PM   #2
GRiker
Comparer of the Ephemeris
GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I just fixed a similar bug under OS X 10.6.8. It was caused by curly apostrophes in author names and book titles instead of regular straight apostrophes.

Which version of windows are you running?

G
GRiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 04:05 PM   #3
Mixx
Zealot
Mixx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mixx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mixx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mixx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Hi GRiker,

I am running Vista 32bit (latest everything).

Thank you for looking at this,

Mixx
Old 09-30-2012, 04:52 PM   #4
GRiker
GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You'll need to create a ticket and upload your metadata.db file so I can try to duplicate the problem. Go to the calibre bug tracker to create a new bug report. You will need to create an account.

After creating the bug report, click the 'Add attachment or patch' button at the bottom, locate the metadata.db file in your calibre library folder and upload it. Once you've done that, I'll try to recreate the problem.
Old 10-07-2012, 02:46 PM   #5
Mixx
Zealot

Thanks a million GRiker, I have done that.

Using bisection, I cut down the library to just two books, both of them seems to have the issue.

Regards, Mixx
Old 01-02-2013, 08:15 AM   #6
Mixx
Zealot

Sorry, I need to come back to this issue.

I have migrated onto a new workstation (W7, 64bit, plenty of RAM) and are running the latest calibre 64-bit version.

Now I'd like ti regenerate some of the calatogs but am getting this old problem again.

Previously, the ticket got closed and I am not finding it on launchpad anymore. What do I do? Open a new ticket?

I have now a small libraray of just two books that produces this unicode error.

Thanxx for any help,

Mixx
Old 01-02-2013, 08:57 AM   #7
GRiker

Create a new library with the two books causing the problem.

Create a new ticket, attach the metadata.db file from the new library.

G
Old 01-11-2013, 02:52 PM   #8
Mixx
Zealot

Thumbs up

Dear GRiker,

this is to confirm that with today's release (0.9.14) this problem has been fixed for me. I am a very happy camper now, thanks a million! Much appreciated!

Cheers, Mixx
Old 01-11-2013, 03:54 PM   #9
GRiker

Thanks for the followup, I'm glad it's working properly now for you.

G