Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 06-29-2012, 09:34 AM   #76
paulsalter
Fanatic
paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD8
Quote:
Originally Posted by hpulley View Post

How is the standard Android Kobo app? Still won't show the graphic novels?
the android app is not too bad now, very similar to the Vox reader, unfortunately graphic novels are vox and ios only (not sure if just ipad version or all ios versions)

I am not in the market for a new machine yet, but this new google tablet does look good, would like to see if kobo bring out an updated vox at some point, compare them
paulsalter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 09:51 AM   #77
mr_nobody
Evangelist
mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: kobo mini, nexus 7 (2012), kobo vox
Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
There is no duty because it ships from Google Canada, in Toronto. I ordered one and that is what it says on the receipt.
That is great news. I do believe I may order one.
mr_nobody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 02:06 PM   #78
Reader Paradice
Getting Back To Reading!
Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox and Touch
Don't get caught up in the Nexus dust trail....lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_nobody View Post
That is great news. I do believe I may order one.
-------------------------------------------

Don't! Wait until around a month or two before this Xmas. Everybody is going to get caught with their pants down with the Nexus 7:

Reason: The reason that the Nexus 7 does not have a rear-facing camera, HDML, and all that Asus's MEMO 370T had when announced, is that....Asus is going to release it (their own original 7 inch) down the road just before the Xmas season. They made a deal with Google that the Nexus would not interfere with their release under the Asus brand. Probably the Asus MeMo 370T will start at $249.00, but who cares, when it will have the memory slot to boost it to whatever you need as well all the other originally announced features.

As far as I am concerned, The Nexus 7 tablet comes to you crippled. But, if those that have already laid down the coin do not care about that it is again a reader with added tablet functions, but not a full bore featured 7 inch format...then it is a good deal for them. For myself, I figured out what is Asus's game, and will wait for their full on and not chopped 370T!!!

If anybody thinks that Asus and their shareholders would not benefit from their own venture into the 7 inch format..and only under a dumbed down ghost-branded version of their hardware has not thought about it for long.

R.P.

Last edited by Reader Paradice; 06-29-2012 at 04:20 PM. Reason: ...added a comma where needed.
Reader Paradice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 03:24 PM   #79
mr_nobody
Evangelist
mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: kobo mini, nexus 7 (2012), kobo vox
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reader Paradice View Post

Don't! Wait until around a month or two before this Xmas. Everybody is going to get caught with their pants down with the Nexus 7:
R.P.
Source or is this just your opinion?
mr_nobody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 03:52 PM   #80
Reader Paradice
Getting Back To Reading!
Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_nobody View Post
Source or is this just your opinion?
Well...without compromising myself, let's just say that I work in the industry, I am paid to analyse trends, modus-operandi of competitors, etc.

I will just place this at your feet....

It was Asus that premiered the more-than-mock up concept hardware at the last show, Asus already had the model number and not code concept. Asus was approached after-the-fact by Google (tm) and negotiations for their ghost branding of the Google Nexus 7 was entered.

In my 40 years of trend following, and modus, I submit the reason that Asus did not release...[ please translate as delayed and/or deferred]...their consumer-conscious name-branded that is worth millions to Asus alone in that fact,...7 inch format that they do NOT have on the market,...and thus was the motive force behind the MeMo 370T,----is because they not only entered a very lucrative (Google) sub-supply manufacturing contract, but had every intention once the dust settled, and in heading into the most important marketing event (the holidays), that their own ORIGINAL product mapping would then proceed. They need a 7 inch format, and under their own innovative branding. What would make someone buy the later released Asus MeMo 370T over the Google Nexus 7? Simply....a fully featured and power tweaked offering in the 7 inch catagory that is only a few dollars more (in light of what it would offer for total feedom of experience). They will sell a ton...., and I will be waitng.

I can wait, because the Kobo guys n' gals gave us a real, and truly gold update for the Vox. I can easily wait for my next 7 inch format because of that.

I'll just leave you with that to ponder. Of course, what you do...and what you procure shall always be your business.

Cheers!

With respect,

R.P.

Last edited by Reader Paradice; 06-29-2012 at 04:10 PM. Reason: typo
Old 06-29-2012, 04:58 PM   #81
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
$50 makes a difference to me. Some people, including me, would rather have a device that does not have an interface that some other company has laid on top of the GUI that Google creates.The lack of an SD card does not cripple a device, from my perspective. Believe it or not, some people have no desire to take pictures with a 7 inch tablet.

I am sure you have a wonderful job that gives you amazing insight into the future of technology. I wish you well and much happiness with whatever device you decide to buy in the future.

I do wonder why you bought a Vox. Didn't your knowledge of the industry suggest another choice might be superior to it back then?
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 07:36 PM   #82
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
The front facing camera is more usable to me on a tablet that a rear facing one. My phone which is always with me is good enough for taking quick shots (3.2MP), and I have a camera for better pictures.

While it would be nice to have the SD card port it isn't that big of a deal to me, I can load my SD card up on my phone and then transfer VIA BlueTooth when I want to watch a movie. Or just load a movie onto it when I want to watch it, I don't need an entire library worth of movies. And most people shouldn't have most of the movies that they want to put on their device, all of my movies are DVD's that I ripped.

I Pre-Ordered the Nexus 7 this morning.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 11:04 PM   #83
Reader Paradice
Getting Back To Reading!

(snip)

Double posted below....sorry.

Last edited by Reader Paradice; 06-29-2012 at 11:09 PM. Reason: created a double post...
Old 06-29-2012, 11:08 PM   #84
Reader Paradice
Getting Back To Reading!

Quote:
$50 makes a difference to me. Some people, including me, would rather have a device that does not have an interface that some other company has laid on top of the GUI that Google creates.The lack of an SD card does not cripple a device, from my perspective. Believe it or not, some people have no desire to take pictures with a 7 inch tablet.

I am sure you have a wonderful job that gives you amazing insight into the future of technology. I wish you well and much happiness with whatever device you decide to buy in the future.

Thank you. We all hope that our purchases are sound ones (large smile!)

I do wonder why you bought a Vox. Didn't your knowledge of the industry suggest another choice might be superior to it back then?
----------------------------------------------

Taking pictures with an amazing lens system, in a 7 inch format, and then being able to process that image right on site, and wherever you are...and then be able to gmail.com it to a friend or family in live-time from your vacation, is only one of the ultimate reasons to have a 7 inch format. The form can be easily manipulated as any digital camera, can be put into most pockets, can give the most incredible HD display, and on and on. Having an S.D. slot to bring your system up to what you want, rather than be sold as is, is also a strong suit for another 50 bucks. Human nature is, that if you have the storage cpacity, you will use it and smile in doing so. Pictures, movies, music files, books, video-books, etc. That is the beauty of a 7 inch format.... the ease of handling, and having all the fire-power of 10 plus inch format and up. I could not think of not having a rear- facing HD camera on my 7 inch! Neither it seems can Asus...as per their released MeMo 370T show spec's.

Also, I bought a Vox, because that was truly the only book culture in-house 7 inch that after purview, made sense for the price, and so, could later pay my scheckles for a full bore 7 inch tablet. As we Vox owners all know, the Vox is an eReader foremost, with a side order of Tablet. The Asus MeMo 370T will be a 7 inch powerhouse that can do......it all! Read, cruise the Net, movies, and PICTURES to shoot, enjoy, add to emails-on-the-fly. Yes...I'll wait. It's around the corner....

The reason I feel, that most persons do not end up fully taking advantage of the rear camera, is that on a 10 or greater inch unit, it is simply to unwieldy and also some might feel a little out of place in doing so. Hold up a 7 inch format, and it would be no bigger truly than a high end digital SLR body.

But as I stated earlier, each will choose to purchase what they best feel meets their needs.

R.P.

Last edited by Reader Paradice; 06-29-2012 at 11:31 PM. Reason: typo
Old 06-29-2012, 11:16 PM   #85
Reader Paradice
Getting Back To Reading!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Terminator View Post
The front facing camera is more usable to me on a tablet that a rear facing one. My phone which is always with me is good enough for taking quick shots (3.2MP), and I have a camera for better pictures.

While it would be nice to have the SD card port it isn't that big of a deal to me, I can load my SD card up on my phone and then transfer VIA BlueTooth when I want to watch a movie. Or just load a movie onto it when I want to watch it, I don't need an entire library worth of movies. And most people shouldn't have most of the movies that they want to put on their device, all of my movies are DVD's that I ripped.

I Pre-Ordered the Nexus 7 this morning.
---------------------------------------------------------------

Then as I stated, the Nexus met your requirements. I don't anticipate using much of my 7 inch to hold movies...more a vast assorment of books, magazines, calibre stuff, pictures, and music. If you are into listening to music as you cruise the Net...then having very ample space allows you much greater choice in the field. But these are my wishes for use, and of course not everybody will follow.
Old 06-30-2012, 08:09 AM   #86
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

My phone has NFC and so does the Nexus 7. I can "bump" the two devices which will transfer the pictures (beam) I take on my phone to the tablet. I don't know how often I will do it, but it's a bonus.

We all use our kit differently. And our needs/wants seem to change over time. When I bought the Vox, I used it in ways that were in keeping with its capabilities and I was fine with that. Somehow, when we got Play and I ran onto limitations having to do with the version of Android, and a few things that maybe were Vox only issues, I started to want something different. Who knew?

Last edited by taming; 06-30-2012 at 08:14 AM.
Old 06-30-2012, 08:50 AM   #87
Atilla
Addict
Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle 3 3G, Kobo Touch, Playbook, Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
----------------------------------------------

Taking pictures with an amazing lens system,
I LOL'd just a little bit.

But I agree that the skill of the photographer is what matters. Not the mediocre lens system on a tablet
Atilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 12:54 PM   #88
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
Quote:
---------------------------------------------------------------

Then as I stated, the Nexus met your requirements. I don't anticipate using much of my 7 inch to hold movies...more a vast assorment of books, magazines, calibre stuff, pictures, and music. If you are into listening to music as you cruise the Net...then having very ample space allows you much greater choice in the field. But these are my wishes for use, and of course not everybody will follow.
My music Library is pretty small too, under 200MB.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 04:23 PM   #89
taming
Trying for calm & polite

Quote:

Reason: The reason that the Nexus 7 does not have a rear-facing camera, HDML, and all that Asus's MEMO 370T had when announced, is that....Asus is going to release it (their own original 7 inch) down the road just before the Xmas season. They made a deal with Google that the Nexus would not interfere with their release under the Asus brand. Probably the Asus MeMo 370T will start at $249.00,
R.P. You may want to look at this thread on XDA: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1740163

And this: http://www.theverge.com/2012/6/28/31...-google-nvidia

The last line:
Quote:
But if Asus, Nvidia, and Google hadn't made it a priority to challenge Amazon's Kindle Fire, the ME370T could have been just another outdated Android tablet on the pile.
I wonder what's really up?
Old 07-01-2012, 11:13 PM   #90
Reader Paradice
Getting Back To Reading!

Quote:
R.P. You may want to look at this thread on XDA: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1740163

And this: http://www.theverge.com/2012/6/28/31...-google-nvidia

The last line:

I wonder what's really up?
--------------------------------------------------------

Hi Taming,

Yes, everybody knew that the mostly designed MeMo370T was released to Google as a scaled-back-to-spec-price-point offering. But, that is not the MeM0370T that ASUS will be delivering to market. That one will be what the Verge article articulated as the later spec announced. Yes, the new Google Nexus 7 is a 'rendition' of the general design parameter known as the MeMo37T. But as I stated....NOTspec's as Asus will later release. In other words, Taming, they are simply, as I stated in my other posts, going to release the ORIGINAL version (their Asus branded version) of the MeMo370T. It will include all that was revealed in the later spec. So, hang on...and enjoy. This tablet will be far from obsolete in the 7 inch playground!

Last edited by Reader Paradice; 07-01-2012 at 11:15 PM.