Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 05-26-2008, 01:29 PM   #16
pepak
Guru
pepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T3, Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nergal View Post
For the inital question: I recommend to have a look at tesseract ocr - it is an opensource command line tool - with an amazing recognition rate (95-99.9 %, mostly at 98-99% for me).
I am afraid Tesseract is not for me. I need some additional languages, I'd like a better accuracy, and the most important, I need a reasonable layout detection - the software must, at least, be able to detect paragraphs and store each on one line. That alone is worth the price difference for me. Thanks for the suggestion, though.
pepak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 03:17 PM   #17
Nergal
eBuchReisender
Nergal doesn't litterNergal doesn't litterNergal doesn't litter

Device: Palm Tungsten-E, iLiad
The paragraph detection is tricky with tesseract but (!) not complete hopeless, if the paragraphs are seperated by a blank line it might be detected and would be parsable as two linebreaks. Though if I understand you correctly, you do not want something to tinker with, but a solution that actually solves a task ).

I just made a test with a book page I scanned today (Caesar - Civil War, German) - 2124 Signs, only 2 signs which stood together were read falsely, scanned at 300 dpi.
So that is a rate of 99.91% (better than my typing .

Recently I had the chance to see ReadIris (for free with an HP-All-in One Device) - its layout detection was really horrible - very distinct columns have been overlooked and a lot of simple misreadings.

I had some years ago AbbyyFineReader 8.0 Trial and must admit I was a bit disappointed at the automagical layout-detection, quite a lot of manual editing. Hopefully this works better by now.

IIRC they offer an educational discount ... - if I wasn't a Linux-addicted at that time I surely would have bought it because of its fantastic recognition rate, except for text written in italics.

a bt OT: Their language support was/is awesome on the other hand: scanned in a Russian article, parsed it through babelfish and got at least a vague idea what the author had written, whithout knowing much more than 'spassibo' of Russian language by myself

Good Luck!

Nergal
Nergal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 05:30 PM   #18
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Saw just today on Teleread: Cuneiform open-sourced their OCR:
http://www.cuneiform.ru/eng/index.html
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote