Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 04-22-2010, 09:53 AM   #1
Magnesus
Connoisseur
Magnesus is on a distinguished road

Device: Bebook Neo
Macro photos of Vizplex E Ink

I made some macro shots of E Ink Vizplex (4 gray levels) display. Maybe someone will find them interesting:

Full size:
http://s.wieze.org/wieza/gfx/makro.jpg
http://s.wieze.org/wieza/gfx/makroeclicto.jpg

As you see the white background is not exactly white. Shows some dark speckles.

Photo camera used: Olympus E-520 with macro lens and additional macro converter. No flash, so it was very hard to keep still (and above photos are two of the 50 or so bad ones ).

Last edited by Magnesus; 04-22-2010 at 09:57 AM.
Magnesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 10:58 AM   #2
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnesus View Post
As you see the white background is not exactly white. Shows some dark speckles.
And the black has some white speckles. This can also be appreciated with the naked eye, I guess it's due to "defects" in the screen, the proportion of which does not greatly impact the readability (manufacturing a defect-less screen, if possible, would probably be much more expensive).
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-23-2010, 08:06 AM   #3
Magnesus
Connoisseur
Magnesus is on a distinguished road

Device: Bebook Neo
Maybe defects. I'll have to check if they move - because they could be left by not ideal refresh of the screen (not all white/black moved to the top/bottom).
Magnesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 02:51 PM   #4
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
And the black has some white speckles. This can also be appreciated with the naked eye, I guess it's due to "defects" in the screen, the proportion of which does not greatly impact the readability (manufacturing a defect-less screen, if possible, would probably be much more expensive).
If you make a picture of an average pocket page, you'll see that those aren't perfect either. For me, the imperfections make it more realistic somehow... Must be a remnant of my pbook reading time
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 03:04 PM   #5
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
I've looked at mine through a 60x mini-microscope (of this variety but lots of ebay sellers have them-- nice toy for the price) and you can just make out the individual cells of the display (not the pixels-- much smaller than that.) It looks much like the close-up appearance of styrofoam.
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert