Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-14-2009, 05:30 PM   #46
schmolch
Connoisseur
schmolch knows what time it isschmolch knows what time it isschmolch knows what time it isschmolch knows what time it isschmolch knows what time it isschmolch knows what time it isschmolch knows what time it isschmolch knows what time it isschmolch knows what time it isschmolch knows what time it isschmolch knows what time it is

Device: Kindle
I have a question to the prs-600 owners, this might actually be important for me:

Can the PRS-600 trim the page-margins of a pdf?

800 pixels would suffice with trimmed page-margins but without trimming im not so sure it's enough.
Because otherwise i would have to zoom-in, pan around, zoom-out, and only then would i be able to go to the next page. Is that correct?

Thanks!
oh and sorry for being offtopic again.
schmolch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 05:53 PM   #47
DougFNJ
Avid Reader
DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature, 2TB iPad Pro 11”
Quote:
Originally Posted by schmolch View Post
Do you mean because of the contrast between a mostly white book and the enormous blackness of the bezel?
If so, i was wondering about that myself.

Is a black or red bezel distracting?
Maybe even tiresome?
Should i get the silver version because of it?

Since i have never seen anyone talking about that i assume the color of the device is not relevant to the reading-comfort.
I was wondering the same thing about the tiresome comment, I had the dark blue PRS-500, the Dark Blue PRS-505 and found no issue with the contrast between the dark bezels and light screens. I always prefer dark colors over light colors when available in any device I hunt down.
DougFNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-14-2009, 06:26 PM   #48
emphyrio
emphyrio began at the beginning.

Device: prs-600R
Received a prs-600R on saturday, and I'm very happy to have one.
Compared to either an 12 or 9 inch notebook the reader is much more comfortable, both on the eyes and in portability. (btw: the red does not distract)
Compared to paper I still find paper books more comfortable (or maybe I'm just getting old fashioned ), but definetly prefer the reader to A4 printouts, despite the better contrast and size of the latter.
What I really like is the 'feel' of the device which is highly undevice-like; it's clearly not a book, but when reading on it I don't feel like I'm using a gadget.
The downsides: the white on the screen isn't, this means that I need more light (as compared to normal books) when reading.
When using the pen it is quite slow in refreshing the screen and drawing with it seems a good way to drain the battery. (reader is a very appropriate name for the device)
Accessing date&time; is there some easy way to have them displayed? so far I've only gotten them with home->More->settings. I would really like to have it at the bottom of the screen (with, say, a five-minute refresh).
emphyrio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 07:28 PM   #49
BeccaAnn
Groupie
BeccaAnn will become famous soon enoughBeccaAnn will become famous soon enoughBeccaAnn will become famous soon enoughBeccaAnn will become famous soon enoughBeccaAnn will become famous soon enoughBeccaAnn will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Accessing date&time; is there some easy way to have them displayed? so far I've only gotten them with home->More->settings. I would really like to have it at the bottom of the screen (with, say, a five-minute refresh).
Sony encrypted the 300/600. So, right now there is no hack that will display the time at the bottom of the page, like what has been developed for the 500/505/700. Give it a month or two and maybe someone on this forum will have developed it.
Congrats on getting the 600. I would like one but can't justify the cost since my 505 is less than a year old and not even half full.
BeccaAnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 07:32 PM   #50
rlaskey
rlaskey began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-600
So first off, I am new to these forums, though I got my PRS-600 last Thursday and have been really, really happy with it. I ordered the red version from B&H ( http://bhphotovideo.com/ ) which had v. fast shipping. They're a great vendor, have bought a lot of other equipment from them with no issues.

I also grabbed up the M-Edge PRS-505 Excutive case when it was still $15 which is working out quite well. It does push on the volume button at the bottom right edge, but I haven't had any problems with that so far. It also gets in the way of the power switch a bit at the top left, though not in a bad way. It's rather bulky and is quite secure and well padded.

As to the below, no, I have found that you cannot trim the edges off of the PDFs, sadly. This means it's pretty hard to read in certain files, though if you have the orientation in landscape then it helps a fair amount. Each page is then two pages, and while the fonts are rather small and the margins are pretty large even at this point, it's been doing the job for me lately.

You cannot keep the zoom, so each page you'll have to re-zoom in. For some files, the re-flow (Medium, Large, etc. fonts) does work rather well, though in others it's not quite as great: I have a couple PDFs that preserve line breaks, so you get crazy ragged edges (i.e., every other line is about three words). In all cases w/ PDFs, page breaks are always preserved, which is rather annoying: that is to say that even when there is just one paragraph/sentence/word that goes into the next page turn due to re-flow, the rest of the page is blank, so you have to turn the page again to start the the next page in the PDF.

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmolch View Post
I have a question to the prs-600 owners, this might actually be important for me:

Can the PRS-600 trim the page-margins of a pdf?

800 pixels would suffice with trimmed page-margins but without trimming im not so sure it's enough.
Because otherwise i would have to zoom-in, pan around, zoom-out, and only then would i be able to go to the next page. Is that correct?

Thanks!
oh and sorry for being offtopic again.
rlaskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-14-2009, 10:14 PM   #51
spirit_wolf
_^^~
spirit_wolf is on a distinguished road

Device: iPad 2, PRS-505, PRS-600
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougFNJ View Post
It's funny, I usually think the complete opposite. If I pay the extra for the quicker shipping, I don't want to come home to a note saying 1st attempt, that defeats the purpose of paying extra for quicker shipping, no?
Since I didn't pay extra for quicker shipping that wouldn't be relevent in this case, no?
spirit_wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 10:56 PM   #52
shrktank
Connoisseur
shrktank has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony 650,Nook Color and iPad
I got a Silver 600 last on the 10th, a day after my birthday. Ordered from ABT and I must admit they had fast shipping and wonderful customer service.

I bought 2 cases. I purchase the MEdge 505 case and also a Sony premium case. This far I like the Sony case the best as it lays flatter. Also not too excited about the straps holding the reader on the MEdge. I hope they come out with a hinged based case. Both cases are brown, but thinking of getting a black one, if the leather has a more pebbled look to it.

Thus far I am extremely happy with my purchase. I am even more pleased with this forum and the amount of shared knowledge and experiences which assisted me in my purchase
shrktank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 10:57 PM   #53
shrktank
Connoisseur
shrktank has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony 650,Nook Color and iPad
I am finding the turn pages to be excellent, especially after I found out I could change the motion to go from right to left.
shrktank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 11:09 PM   #54
wachuko
eBook Worm
wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/ Sony PRS-505/PRS-600 Silver/PRS-T1
I have had it now for a week... two books later and I am still reading from it... I promised I would not go back to the 505 to give the 600 and fair chance. Got to tell you, the quality of the 505 stills calls my name... but the use of the dictionary is keeping me using the 600.

Pretty sure I will not be going back to the 505... my wife already took ownership of it.
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 10:07 AM   #55
wallflower75
Groupie
wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage/iPhone 6 Plus/iPad mini
So far, after a week's use, I'm loving the 600. I was pleased to discover that I don't have to press down as hard on the touchscreen as I feared I would to turn pages. What I love most about it is how much faster the page turns are! Now I have to get used to not turning the page before I'm actually done reading it--I got into a rhythm with the 505 since I knew how long it would take to respond.

Yeah, the screen clarity isn't as good as with the 505, but I knew that would be the case when I bought it. It's not as horrible as it was on the 700 (which I considered buying until I got a good look at it in the store last year).

So overall--for the speed of the processor, the dictionary and the touchscreen, I'm glad I got it.
wallflower75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 11:00 AM   #56
Journier
Groupie
Journier has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Journier has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Journier has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Journier has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Journier has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle Oasis
I received mine yesterday from abt. It is silver.
Journier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 12:32 AM   #57
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Me, me, me!

(forgot to chime in last week when I actually bought it...)
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 12:40 AM   #58
windylim
windylim began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600 prospective
I have one... just from this week Monday. Happy with it so far.
windylim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 02:17 AM   #59
Journier
Groupie
Journier has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Journier has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Journier has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Journier has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Journier has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Hey FizzyWatter (How come I suddenly got a yen for bathtub gin?), noticed you have a 505. How do you like your 600 compared to the other?
Journier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 02:28 AM   #60
Filark
Armed with a smile :)
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage eDGe & Pocket eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
Got my silver 600 from Bestbuy.com. It arrived yesterday. Also got the m-edge case from Amazon. So far so good! My first dedicated eReader, so I have little to compare.
My biggest question is how to protect the screen? (I posted a separate thread asking for advice on screen protectors.)
MobileRead is an excellent forum, and the Wiki (above) has good info on libraries, etc.!
Fi
Filark is offline   Reply With Quote