Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-04-2009, 06:28 PM   #31
mdb1
mdb1 began at the beginning.

Device: IREX DR800SG
The UPS guy delivered a shiny new PRS-600BC (the black one) today - my very first e-ink device. I must admit that I'm a lot less impressed than I hoped I'd be. I'm a heavy Tablet PC user, so that's definitely raised my expectations for what I should be able to do with a pen and a screen. Still, I was simply hoping for a more portable solution for PDF reading and annotation, but this brand-new device feels like it's 10 years old (like a thinner version of my beloved old Sony Magic Link, but with an uglier OS). I knew there'd pros and cons with this display tech, but I'm not sure the Reader is any more comfortable to read the 12" SVGA+ LCD on my convertible tablet. Since the Reader won't fit in a pocket any better than my Thinkpad, I'm not sure the (significant) weight savings translates into significantly better portability. I'll give it the weekend to win me over, but I may have to suck up the 15% restocking fee and put this particular purchase back on hold until somebody someday releases an e-ink device that's suitable for in-class notetaking and serious academic/technical reading.
mdb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 06:42 PM   #32
tracyeo
Connoisseur
tracyeo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracyeo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracyeo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracyeo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracyeo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracyeo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracyeo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracyeo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracyeo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracyeo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracyeo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505;PRS-600;Sony PRS-350;Kobo Mini;Kobo Clara HD
Just got home and my silver 600 from Crutchfield.com is here. I am charging it now. Sonystyle is still supposed to deliver my cover today. Fedex tracking says it is on the truck for delivery today.

I did a quick tour of the page swipe and dictionary function and I'm really impressed.

Contrast is fine, not as good as my 505 but certainly readable.
tracyeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-04-2009, 07:02 PM   #33
sminarovich
Connoisseur
sminarovich could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sminarovich could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sminarovich could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sminarovich could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sminarovich could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sminarovich could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sminarovich could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sminarovich could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sminarovich could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sminarovich could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sminarovich could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: sony ereader 500 & 600
I enjoy reading my 500 in the tub, how does a wet finger affect the touchscreen does anyone know?
sminarovich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 08:13 PM   #34
cozworth
gadget crazy
cozworth began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 505/900
Mine came via overnight UPS from ABT electronics today! I knew I would like the touch screen but I was surprised how much more I like the menu than my 505!
cozworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 02:16 AM   #35
Murphy_Beer
Murphy_Beer began at the beginning.

Device: SONY PRS-600
Mine arrived yesterday, from an online store called Bol.com in the Netherlands. Glad to have it, eReaders where a very underdeveloped area in the Netherlands, so I am glad I got one finally.

Travel a lot so am glad to have a new gadget that gives the opportunity to bring more than one book on a trip.
Murphy_Beer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-05-2009, 10:39 AM   #36
wallflower75
Groupie
wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage/iPhone 6 Plus/iPad mini
Well, after reading all the reviews and going through yet another reboot with my PRS-505, I gave up fighting the devil sitting on my right shoulder and ordered a PRS-600 from ABT. The glare/reflection issue (whatever you want to call it) won't bother me at all, because I got used to that with my old eBookwise-1150. And I'm looking forward to having a touchscreen again!

So now I'm waiting eagerly for the weekend to be over so I can find out when my reader will arrive...since I live in Illinois, I figure I should have it sometime next week!
wallflower75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 11:43 AM   #37
mfusion
mfusion began at the beginning.

Device: sony PRS-600
Paying for content at 9.99 per book and newspaper/magazine functionality

Day 2 with the reader. Will likely use for reading pdf journal articles. My concern is that my public library does not have many of the ebook titles I would like to read and 9.99/book will get expensive. I also wish there was a way to load my reader with my digital magazine and newspaper subscriptions which will come with the Daily. My store did not have silver so I went with black. My concern is that the black border will get tiresome after a while. Also felt 299 + tax was a bit steep considering you could get a netbook for that price. Also, in a few months, as usual there will be better readers to buy.. gadgets always expire the second after you buy them...
Despite all this, it is a gorgeous technology and will save me from carrying loads of printed articles and hardcover books.
mfusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 01:38 PM   #38
spirit_wolf
_^^~
spirit_wolf is on a distinguished road

Device: iPad 2, PRS-505, PRS-600
A PRS-600BC was waiting on my Welcome mat when I got home.
It was delivered from ABT last week--a couple days before I got back from vacation.

Although I appreciate quick delivery, I let ABT know I wasn't happy about the package sitting on my doorstep when I was still out of town. Needless to say, it was a relief to see it was still there.

Apparently vendors are increasingly using a delivery option that leaves it to the driver's discretion as to whether it's safe to leave a package when no one is there to receive it. I can understand ABT's explanation that this option is in response to customer complaints of packages being delivered when no one is home and getting sent back after 3 attempts. However, vendors should be clear when the discretionary option is used and make it easy to change during the online order process. ABT says customers have to call to ask for signature required mode. Aside from being inconvenient, it doesn't help if you didn't even realize discretionary mode was used by default!

By the way, if a package gets stolen under these circumstances, delivery will be delayed for weeks while they "put a tracer on it" (investigate). A simple solution would be an option for the package to be held for will-call pickup. Lacking that option, I usually ask for delivery to work address or wait for first home delivery attempt then call and specify hold for will-call.
spirit_wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 01:58 PM   #39
spirit_wolf
_^^~
spirit_wolf is on a distinguished road

Device: iPad 2, PRS-505, PRS-600
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdb1 View Post
The UPS guy delivered a shiny new PRS-600BC (the black one) today - my very first e-ink device. I must admit that I'm a lot less impressed than I hoped I'd be. ...this brand-new device feels like it's 10 years old... I'll give it the weekend to win me over, but I may have to suck up the 15% restocking fee and put this particular purchase back on hold until somebody someday releases an e-ink device that's suitable for in-class notetaking and serious academic/technical reading.
Welcome to mobileread! I share your sentiments about limitations of the 600's note taking/annotation features. However, I think it was designed more for casual reading and annotation. You'll probably have to look at some of the larger, more expensive e-readers for in-class notetaking and serious academic/technical reading. Have you already seen The famous eBook Reader Matrix? https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/E-book_Reader_Matrix
spirit_wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 02:15 PM   #40
DougFNJ
Avid Reader
DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature, 2TB iPad Pro 11”
Wow....you said a lot here......

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfusion View Post
Day 2 with the reader. Will likely use for reading pdf journal articles. My concern is that my public library does not have many of the ebook titles I would like to read and 9.99/book will get expensive.
Be patient......and don't forget, Public Domain books are free Also still cheaper than buying a New Release Hardcover in a bookstore.

Quote:
I also wish there was a way to load my reader with my digital magazine and newspaper subscriptions which will come with the Daily.
I'm pretty sure they will have that ability....just instead of getting it wirelessly we would have to plug it in which I am quite ok with....Wireless eats battery.

Quote:
My store did not have silver so I went with black. My concern is that the black border will get tiresome after a while.
How so?

Quote:
Also felt 299 + tax was a bit steep considering you could get a netbook for that price.
Whole different technology here, like an iPod one spends $300 for, I didn't buy it to be a netbook, I bought it to listen to music, I bought my Reader to read books

Quote:
Also, in a few months, as usual there will be better readers to buy.. gadgets always expire the second after you buy them...
Despite all this, it is a gorgeous technology and will save me from carrying loads of printed articles and hardcover books.
If it does what you bought it to do, and does it well, does that mean because a newer version of it released it is now worthless? Besides Sony updates these once a year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spirit_wolf View Post
A PRS-600BC was waiting on my Welcome mat when I got home.

Although I appreciate quick delivery, I let ABT know I wasn't happy about the package sitting on my doorstep when I was still out of town. Needless to say, it was a relief to see it was still there.
It's funny, I usually think the complete opposite. If I pay the extra for the quicker shipping, I don't want to come home to a note saying 1st attempt, that defeats the purpose of paying extra for quicker shipping, no?

Last edited by DougFNJ; 09-14-2009 at 03:13 PM.
DougFNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 02:52 PM   #41
Riocaz
Fulfilled but not by iRex
Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Far too many
I got mine, at Canary Wharf, Waterstones.

I'm mildly amused that they phoned me today to tell me my reader was in stock (I picked it up on Thursday)
Riocaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 03:08 PM   #42
evenstr
Enthusiast
evenstr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evenstr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evenstr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evenstr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evenstr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evenstr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evenstr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evenstr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evenstr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evenstr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evenstr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Still waiting on a red one from Crutchfield. The website still says preorder for red...*sigh*. All I can do is keep saying it'll get here eventually.
evenstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 04:11 PM   #43
AlexC
Connoisseur
AlexC will become famous soon enoughAlexC will become famous soon enoughAlexC will become famous soon enoughAlexC will become famous soon enoughAlexC will become famous soon enoughAlexC will become famous soon enoughAlexC will become famous soon enough

Device: Apple iPad; iRex iLiad
A black one is in transit from B&H and is due to arrive on Wednesday. Does that count?

If anyone is interested, I've been mulling over the idea of doing a photo/video head-to-head between the PRS-600, an iLiad, and an OLPC XO, mainly to assess usability for scientific reading (e.g., articles and textbooks) and note taking.
AlexC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 05:15 PM   #44
schmolch
Connoisseur
schmolch knows what time it isschmolch knows what time it isschmolch knows what time it isschmolch knows what time it isschmolch knows what time it isschmolch knows what time it isschmolch knows what time it isschmolch knows what time it isschmolch knows what time it isschmolch knows what time it isschmolch knows what time it is

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdb1 View Post
The UPS guy delivered a shiny new PRS-600BC (the black one) today - my very first e-ink device. I must admit that I'm a lot less impressed than I hoped I'd be. I'm a heavy Tablet PC user, so that's definitely raised my expectations for what I should be able to do with a pen and a screen. Still, I was simply hoping for a more portable solution for PDF reading and annotation, but this brand-new device feels like it's 10 years old (like a thinner version of my beloved old Sony Magic Link, but with an uglier OS). I knew there'd pros and cons with this display tech, but I'm not sure the Reader is any more comfortable to read the 12" SVGA+ LCD on my convertible tablet. Since the Reader won't fit in a pocket any better than my Thinkpad, I'm not sure the (significant) weight savings translates into significantly better portability. I'll give it the weekend to win me over, but I may have to suck up the 15% restocking fee and put this particular purchase back on hold until somebody someday releases an e-ink device that's suitable for in-class notetaking and serious academic/technical reading.
Hi!

I have the same Tablet-PC (lenovo x60t with sxga+ screen) and plan to get a prs-600 next month when it becomes available here in germany.

Have you decided yet if you will keep your prs-600?

I dont have any expectations regarding the annotation-feature, just some simple markings and maybe a general use as a notepad.
I primarily hope that i can read many of my PDFs from it (i already checked if its possible to fit them on a 800x600 area and it is sufficient) and that i can have it with me whereever i go.

I have never seen a e-ink display, how do you like it?

@others
sorry for going off topic here
schmolch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 05:22 PM   #45
schmolch
Connoisseur
schmolch knows what time it isschmolch knows what time it isschmolch knows what time it isschmolch knows what time it isschmolch knows what time it isschmolch knows what time it isschmolch knows what time it isschmolch knows what time it isschmolch knows what time it isschmolch knows what time it isschmolch knows what time it is

Device: Kindle
Quote:
My store did not have silver so I went with black. My concern is that the black border will get tiresome after a while.
Do you mean because of the contrast between a mostly white book and the enormous blackness of the bezel?
If so, i was wondering about that myself.

Is a black or red bezel distracting?
Maybe even tiresome?
Should i get the silver version because of it?

Since i have never seen anyone talking about that i assume the color of the device is not relevant to the reading-comfort.
schmolch is offline   Reply With Quote