Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-17-2013, 07:46 AM   #16
Markismus
Guru
Markismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicing

Device: Cracked HiSenseA5ProCC, Cracked OnyxNotePro, Note5, Kobo Glo, Aura
So I just got home buying a 32GB Adata MicroSDHC class 10, UHS-I card. Then found time to read this thread....
...so it works at least..
...rather good even..
I will test the internal 4GB versus the 32GB Adata SDHC in Crystaldisk, what can only give me an impression, since I didn't open up my case yet.

32GB Adata MicroSDHC class 10, UHS-I card versus 4GB Internal Kobo card
Sequential Read : 16.315 MB/s versus 16.302 MB/s
Sequential Write : 7.078 MB/s versus 6.546 MB/s
Random Read 512KB : 16.323 MB/s versus 16.313 MB/s
Random Write 512KB : 12.158 MB/s versus 14.810 MB/s
Random Read 4KB (QD=1) : 2.039 MB/s versus 2.039 MB/s
Random Write 4KB (QD=1) : 2.038 MB/s versus 2.037 MB/s
Random Read 4KB (QD=32) : 2.039 MB/s versus 1.585 MB/s
Random Write 4KB (QD=32) : 2.038 MB/s versus 2.038 MB/s

Test : 100 MB [30.1 GB)] (x9)
As my pdf's are typically 8-17MB the random read values of 512KB (200 reads of 512KB equals 100MB with an average speed op 16.3 MB/s) it seems it doesn't really matter whether I put a pdf-file on the internal of the external card.
I am quite honestly a bit surprised that the 32GB performs the same (in windows over USB) as the 4GB card!!

Would the earlier post imply you get a significant increase in speed in the Aura HD with a class 4 card the internal bay?

Last edited by Markismus; 07-17-2013 at 08:21 AM.
Markismus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 08:03 AM   #17
ewphoenix123
Addict
ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: Kobo: Glo, Aura , Aura H2O, Aura ONE, Forma, Elipsa
Sandisk Mobile Ultra Class 10 UHS-1 have good random r/w values and work well with kobos.

I have used 8, 16, and 32gb variants all are faster then the class 4 sandisk kobo stock uses.
That being said the stock SD in the GLOs and AURAs at least, are already some of the better available cards.
ewphoenix123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-17-2013, 08:52 AM   #18
Markismus
Guru
Markismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicing

It works, but I keep getting the message: "We don't recognize your Micro-SD. Reformat and try again."

They might not recognize, but it still works. Anyone knows how to get rid of the message?
Old 07-17-2013, 11:52 AM   #19
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markismus View Post
It works, but I keep getting the message: "We don't recognize your Micro-SD. Reformat and try again."

They might not recognize, but it still works. Anyone knows how to get rid of the message?
To continue this hijack of my thread, where are you getting that message?

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 01:08 PM   #20
Markismus
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
To continue this hijack of my thread, where are you getting that message?
My apologies Ken.

Your pictures are appreciated in Holland, though. Can't this thread be separated by moderators?

Continuing, I get the message after every reboot. I get it as a pop-up that can be tapped away by pressing OK. In the shell you can see that the internal SD cart is mounted read-write, while the external is mounted read-only:

[root@(none) ~]# df
Filesystem 1K-blocks Used Available Use% Mounted on
/dev/root 253871 130322 123549 51% /
none 16384 4 16380 0% /tmp
none 256952 12 256940 0% /dev
none 16 4 12 25% /var/lib
none 16 0 16 0% /var/log
none 128 20 108 16% /var/run
/dev/mmcblk0p3 3331728 358720 2973008 11% /mnt/onboard

/dev/mmcblk1p1 31539360 12773824 18765536 41% /mnt/sd

[root@(none) ~]# mount
rootfs on / type rootfs (rw)
/dev/root on / type ext4 (rw,noatime,nodiratime,barrier=1,data=ordered)
none on /proc type proc (rw,relatime)
none on /tmp type tmpfs (rw,relatime,size=16384k)
none on /dev type tmpfs (rw,relatime)
none on /var/lib type tmpfs (rw,relatime,size=16k)
none on /var/log type tmpfs (rw,relatime,size=16k)
none on /var/run type tmpfs (rw,relatime,size=128k)
none on /sys type sysfs (rw,relatime)
/dev/mmcblk0p3 on /mnt/onboard type vfat (rw,noatime,nodiratime,fmask=0022,dmask=0022,codep age=cp437,iocharset=iso8859-1,shortname=mixed,utf8,errors=remount-ro)
devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,relatime,mode=600)

/dev/mmcblk1p1 on /mnt/sd type vfat (ro,relatime,fmask=0022,dmask=0022,codepage=cp437, iocharset=iso8859-1,shortname=mixed,errors=remount-ro)

Last edited by Markismus; 07-18-2013 at 08:43 AM. Reason: Added info from shell commands
Advert
Old 07-17-2013, 01:28 PM   #21
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
My apologies Ken.

Your pictures are appreciated in Holland, though. Can't this thread be separated by moderators?

Continuing, I get the message after every reboot. I get it as a pop-up that can be tapped away by pressing OK.
Not to worry, I don't mind, its not like I never had a post of mine have that effect.

So, something Nickel is doing. I remember reading a post that mentioned where the mounting of the SD cards took place. Commenting that out and adding it to the launching of Koreader might accomplish the isolation from Nickel's processing of the external card and prevent the message. Of course the message may come from the Linux OS itself and that would just move where/when you see the message. The reference I saw was probably in the thread about booting from the external SD card.

PeterT has a thread Hacking the SD Card File System, with some good info.

Luck;
Ken

Last edited by Ken Maltby; 07-17-2013 at 02:42 PM.
Old 07-17-2013, 01:53 PM   #22
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
So I just got home buying a 32GB Adata MicroSDHC class 10, UHS-I card. Then found time to read this thread....
...so it works at least..
...rather good even..
I am quite honestly a bit surprised that the 32GB performs the same (in windows over USB) as the 4GB card!!

Would the earlier post imply you get a significant increase in speed in the Aura HD with a class 4 card the internal bay?
The earlier discussion was that some SD cards had excellent large block performance and atrocious small block performance. In your case, the performance looks pretty good for both large and small block. In the case of the cards I tested, the SanDisk 4GB class 4 cards had excellent small block performance while Kingston and Patriot class 10 cards had very bad small block performance. Going by memory here, but I seem to remember the SanDisk small block writes were in the 1.8MB/sec range while the Kingston and Patriot cards were in the 20-50KB/sec range. The SanDisk also had about 50% faster small block reads than the Patriot.

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 07:40 PM   #23
parkher
Evangelist
parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BL Alita/Mimas/Ares, OB Note2/Note, KA One/H2O/HD, S PRS T2/T1, PB 902
I have 32 GB Kingston class 10 and 32 GB Samsung Pro UHS-I class 10 cards.
So I can forget Kingston. Maybe Samsung is good enough. It is intended for tablets, it seems. But not for smartphones. Hm. What is the difference?
But I wonder if Aura HD supports UHS-I. Even without its advantage Samsung is probably faster.

As to the hatch.
I have the official Kobo sleep cover - it is like the second bottom of the case, so I guess my hatch does not even have to have a lid on it. It can be left open. Maybe I can make a hatch almost of the size of the whole bottom, just leaving a narrow frame around - to reduce the weight of the device. Because of the cover I now have two layers of plastic at the bottom. One is enough.
parkher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 10:01 AM   #24
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Here are some pictures of a hatch I made that allows access to the internal uSD card of my AuraHD.
Interesting mod.

If you don't want to punch a hole in the back, maybe it would be possible to use a cable?
http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/48...ion_Cable.html
http://www.diytrade.com/china/pd/977...r_Adaptor.html
It would have to be extremely thin though I guess, if you still want to be able to close the case...

Last edited by frostschutz; 09-21-2013 at 10:11 AM.
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 10:38 AM   #25
Ken Maltby
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostschutz View Post
Interesting mod.

If you don't want to punch a hole in the back, maybe it would be possible to use a cable?
http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/48...ion_Cable.html
http://www.diytrade.com/china/pd/977...r_Adaptor.html
It would have to be extremely thin though I guess, if you still want to be able to close the case...
You could probably mount it so that you could have two external uSD, one being your system drive on the cable. But finding the cable for sale as a single item might be hard to do, the links you posted are for those looking to purchase them in the thousands or tens of thousands.

Luck;
Ken
Old 09-21-2013, 11:59 AM   #26
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
You could probably mount it so that you could have two external uSD, one being your system drive on the cable. But finding the cable for sale as a single item might be hard to do, the links you posted are for those looking to purchase them in the thousands or tens of thousands.
Some companies are quite willing to send you samples. You used to need a nice looking letterhead but now a formal looking email address works quite well. That is, ken.maltby@companyname.ca might work but bitching.modder@yahoo.com is unlikely to work.

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 12:17 PM   #27
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:

Luck;
Ken
Check eBay. (Oh... I msut be an ebay employee too suggesting that).
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 12:32 PM   #28
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I initially found it on Ebay, although the price was a bit steep (15.90€). I found a 20-pack for $130 (comes down to $5 each plus $30 shipping) but I don't need 20 of the things, so...

Punching a hole in the back (or just popping it open whenever) is definitely the cheaper solution.
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote