Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 02-07-2012, 08:28 PM   #121
LuBiB
Banned
LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: jetBook, iPhone, JETBOOK COLOR!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProDigit View Post
I've written them on several occasions already,but haven't yet bought the device, which I hope to do as soon as a black version becomes available!
I think I'll leave gregg alone for a while,so he can focus on getting more in production,so my black one will arrive sooner! :-)
lol. let us know when the black ones will be available!
LuBiB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 08:30 PM   #122
LuBiB
Banned
LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
Just got mine today (ordered on Feb. 3) - there's a sticker on the box: "Make sure to update your device on March 1st & April 1st for even more cool features and functions." No clue as to what's coming then.

to everyone so far for posting so much information - since the actual manual still appears to be in Russian, and only a 4 page quick start pamphlet available in English.

I'll post more after I have time to play with it.
Congrats!! Let us know your thoughts. I'm gonna post this new feature i discovered by accident today in a few minutes
Advert
Old 02-07-2012, 08:31 PM   #123
LuBiB
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by netboy View Post
Man I am still waiting on mine ordered Jan 5. :S
Write to them and make sure you actually purchased it and not gone into the checkout screen and then x'd it out by accident --- i know from personal experience about this....never got my item bc of it lol
Old 02-07-2012, 08:35 PM   #124
LuBiB
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by X read X View Post
I was trolling the ectaco forums and found this post about speed thought I'd share http://www.ectaco.com/posts/list/77639.page

I would think the response time has something to do with the screen size? I remember my small tube tv booted up in a second but my flat screen takes like 30 seconds.
Hmmmm, thats interesting, it still would be great if there was a little speed modification in an update though. It's fine now, but i wonder if it's possible to tweak it further....
Old 02-07-2012, 08:35 PM   #125
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
I just received my jetBook Color!
It has the same sticker on the box: "Make sure to update your device on March 1st & April 1st for even more cool features and functions."
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-07-2012, 08:36 PM   #126
LuBiB
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris777 View Post
I just received my jetBook Color!
It has the same sticker on the box: "Make sure to update your device on March 1st & April 1st for even more cool features and functions.
Congrats to you too Kris!! Def share your thoughts when you get a chance to play with it more.
Old 02-07-2012, 09:33 PM   #127
LuBiB
Banned

I was originally going to take credit to this myself but I have to hand it to my sister who actually discovered this while using the Geometry textbook which I personally loaded for her!

It's a sub-menu accessed by double clicking on the right side of the screen. I'll go through the steps below with pictures:

Open to a page in a PDF (I've checked with the books in FB2 they loaded and it works there too, if anyone else has any other formats let me know):

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0168.jpg
Views:	413
Size:	609.4 KB
ID:	82302

Lightly double tap on the right side of the screen and this menu pops up!:

Name:	IMG_0169.jpg
Views:	408
Size:	622.9 KB
ID:	82303

Now, the bold number at the bottom represents what page you're on. You can jump to any of those numbers by clicking on them (they range 4 numbers before and 4 numbers after the page you're on) or you can use the "+10" and "-10" buttons to add to the list of pages to jump to.

Above that are pages that you've already visited - i jumped around so as you can see my recent page visits are jumbled in numbers.

Now there are 3 pictures at the top right, in descending order i'll describe them below:

The 1st one (and the coolest) is the Table of Contents:

Name:	IMG_0172.jpg
Views:	380
Size:	549.7 KB
ID:	82305

It breaks down chapters with chapter titles so you can jump from one to another. Pretty convenient when a teacher might say "Now class, go to chapter 4."

The 2nd one is bookmarks. Now i only bookmarked one page to show the function, but you can probably do this to however many pages you like. What's interesting is that a virtual keyboard popped up and let me title the bookmark itself. Since the page was about line segments, i titled it "Line Segment." (When i did this in FB2, it gave me the page number followed by the first words on that page), and this is how the lonely 1 bookmark looks:

Name:	photo.jpg
Views:	342
Size:	520.9 KB
ID:	82308

The 3rd function is a "Page Jump" feature where a block of numbers pops up on the screen and you input what page you want to jump to:

Name:	IMG_0170.jpg
Views:	375
Size:	567.8 KB
ID:	82304

If anyone else finds anything make sure to post! There's not a lot of info on the functionality of the device yet so i'm interested in seeing what other features they've locked up in here
Old 02-07-2012, 09:45 PM   #128
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by X read X View Post
I would think the response time has something to do with the screen size? I remember my small tube tv booted up in a second but my flat screen takes like 30 seconds.
I guess,
Screen size, and added software (a larger OS) account for slower booting time.
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 09:59 PM   #129
read365
Enthusiast
read365 is a marvel to beholdread365 is a marvel to beholdread365 is a marvel to beholdread365 is a marvel to beholdread365 is a marvel to beholdread365 is a marvel to beholdread365 is a marvel to beholdread365 is a marvel to beholdread365 is a marvel to beholdread365 is a marvel to beholdread365 is a marvel to behold

Device: pocketbook pro 902, Jetbook Color 1
anyone read djvu file on JBC??

i'm hesitant to buy JBC...
read365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 10:01 PM   #130
PF4Mobile
Guru
PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nook Touch, EEE 800 Note, Entourage PE, finally M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuBiB View Post
I was originally going to take credit to this myself but I have to hand it to my sister who actually discovered this while using the Geometry textbook which I personally loaded for her!
Ask your sister to find out how to use free hand drawing/scribbling in PDFs please
PF4Mobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 10:35 PM   #131
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
I would really like to know if and/or how well the .pdb eReader formats are supported.
I've still got thousands of them.

I wonder if the feature you/your sister discovered is covered in the manual.

It has got to be somewhat embarrassing that a company so involved in the translation
and language study arena, couldn't provide an English language User's Manual.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 10:56 PM   #132
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
I would really like to know if and/or how well the .pdb eReader formats are supported.
I've still got thousands of them.

I wonder if the feature you/your sister discovered is covered in the manual.

It has got to be somewhat embarrassing that a company so involved in the translation
and language study arena, couldn't provide an English language User's Manual.

Luck;
Ken
Yes, English manual will be helpful
I started to read quick start but decided it will be nice to find all features without any instructions.
Old 02-07-2012, 11:14 PM   #133
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyh2000 View Post
Oh believe me, I'd far rather have a matte textured black surround - good contrast with the screen and no reflections. But everything has to be shiny and glossy nowadays, it's the law.

Andrew
You can get very nice Carbon Fiber films that add strength as well as texture
to the things they get applied to. (Google Carbon Fiber Skinning) It's a little
harder to find a flat/matte finish but there are some out there, some with a
Kevlar and carbon fiber mix.

There is also a 3M vinyl sticker sheet made to look and feel just like carbon fiber,
but it's a lot cheaper and easier to apply.

Luck;
Ken

Last edited by Ken Maltby; 02-07-2012 at 11:59 PM.
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 12:20 AM   #134
Kris777
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuBiB View Post
Congrats to you too Kris!! Def share your thoughts when you get a chance to play with it more.
I connected jetBook Color to Overdrive library and downloaded 2 books via ADE. One book in EPUB and 2nd books in PDF format. Both books look nice on jetBook Color screen in Fit Page mode. I checked Oxford dictionary and TTS, will keep checking other features.
Old 02-08-2012, 12:34 AM   #135
PF4Mobile
Guru
PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nook Touch, EEE 800 Note, Entourage PE, finally M92
@LuBiB

Thanks for the karma :-)
Is the annotations file plain text or beside the highlighted text there is info like position in the document ?
Does the text stay selected after highlighted? By that I mean that I would expect the text to show as highlighted after I close and open the document back to the same page.

I am a little bit concerned about exporting my notes to desktop. Having the notes in a separated file is both good and bad. Good because I do not have to eexport, bad because I can not resume the processing of the document on the desktop, after reading I need to go farther with creating some bookmarks from the text that was selected on the ereader. Not having the text at least highlighted in the exported document does not help me in that sense.

It would be interesting to see if the work is transferable from one ereder to another. By that I mean that you should be able to take an annotated PDF test file together with its annotations, send it to someone else with the same ereder and the receiver should be able to see what you worked on...

We know that the device is Windows CE. Is there any way to get to the OS ("root it" as the community did with Nook Android for example) ?

thanks
PF

Last edited by PF4Mobile; 02-08-2012 at 12:39 AM.
PF4Mobile is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ectaco, jetbook color, jetbook color review