Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 02-05-2012, 12:35 PM   #76
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuBiB View Post
I personally believe that it's better to introduce a product to market first and then work out the kinks rather than waiting and waiting and waiting (...energizer bunny...) for the perfect version.
100% agree with LuBiB.
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 12:42 PM   #77
PF4Mobile
Guru
PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nook Touch, EEE 800 Note, Entourage PE, finally M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuBiB View Post
I personally believe that it's better to introduce a product to market first and then work out the kinks rather than waiting and waiting and waiting (...energizer bunny...) for the perfect version.
I subscribe to that if the manufacturer does not change the hardware as they did with M90. M92 seems to be an improvement but the new OS doesn't seem to work on M90!!

Quote:
The jetBook Color is not a perfect device, but it is perfect for me and my grad school papers.

I would walk to class with about 50 pages of new PDF's every class - not to mention printing costs and ink and etc.

This is a solution for me and i'm sure i'm not the only one out there that needs something like this - so it all depends on what you plan on using it for.
So other than for reading how does the JBC help you with your study?
The andyh2000 doesn't seem to agree with you regarding the PDF annotations (highlighting exporting and saving). If you have more info I would appreciate if you can review this and use a small PDF that you could upload here to give us an idea about how and where the highlighted text is stored

thanks
PF
PF4Mobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-05-2012, 12:59 PM   #78
LuBiB
Banned
LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: jetBook, iPhone, JETBOOK COLOR!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by PF4Mobile View Post

LuBiB says something else. According to him something gets saved in a txt file and something in the original (?) pdf.
Now ...this is somehow confusing and this is why I am asking for a sample file
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...1&postcount=36
So, i've figured out how the HIGHLIGHTING works - this is actually much cooler than i expected so i'll give a step by step crash course.

I remember i promised to use one of my sister's textbooks, here is her "Essentials of Geometry" - a 4.63MB PDF file - and as a note....it truly is beautiful to see it on the jetBook Color::::without further adieu:::

Open the book:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0135.JPG
Views:	504
Size:	1.46 MB
ID:	82177

Preface:

Name:	IMG_0136.jpg
Views:	814
Size:	616.5 KB
ID:	82178

Table of Contents (extends throughout a few pages):

Name:	IMG_0137.jpg
Views:	387
Size:	588.3 KB
ID:	82179

Chapter 1:

Name:	IMG_0138.jpg
Views:	448
Size:	589.7 KB
ID:	82180

A few pages:

Name:	IMG_0139.jpg
Views:	751
Size:	566.7 KB
ID:	82181 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0140.jpg
Views:	416
Size:	513.6 KB
ID:	82182

And now the highlighting begins by dragging the stylus across the sentence or entire paragraph and an on-screen "Menu" button pops up:

Name:	IMG_0141.jpg
Views:	493
Size:	588.9 KB
ID:	82183

Click on the "Menu" pop up, select "Mark For Summary":

Name:	IMG_0142.jpg
Views:	433
Size:	634.5 KB
ID:	82184

Now it's marked for the summary, click the hard "Menu" key at the bottom of the device and another "Menu" screen will pop up where you select "Show Summary":

Name:	IMG_0143.jpg
Views:	415
Size:	572.8 KB
ID:	82185

It will give you the:
1) The text you highlighted
2) The location file where you highlighted the text
3) The title of the book from which the text was taken
4) And a few other notes

Name:	IMG_0144.jpg
Views:	459
Size:	512.0 KB
ID:	82186

Now to find it on your computer:
1) Connect the jetBook Color via miniUSB
2) Open it as an external storage device
3) Go into: My Books -> .Summaries

Name:	IMG_0145.jpg
Views:	464
Size:	969.6 KB
ID:	82187

And there you have it saved in a txt file!!:

Name:	IMG_0146.jpg
Views:	435
Size:	805.2 KB
ID:	82188
LuBiB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 01:42 PM   #79
PF4Mobile
Guru
PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.

Ok now it is indeed clear. The selected text is stored in a separate file.
Thanks a lot for this. Now I have to understand if the resolution is indeed good for B&W :-) or how far is it from the declared 1800x1600
M92 is just 1200 x 825 ....

Last edited by PF4Mobile; 02-05-2012 at 07:56 PM.
Old 02-05-2012, 02:56 PM   #80
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
A slight side bar:

Great job with the newest photos! Would you say that the photos are a closer match
for the color you see in person now?

Could you give us a quick description of how you got the color corrected?

Luck;
Ken

Last edited by Ken Maltby; 02-05-2012 at 02:59 PM.
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-05-2012, 07:27 PM   #81
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
Thanks Lubib!
It exceeded my expectations!
However, I meant to read dual pages in landscape not in portrait. (same with the flower image; is there a way to tilt images? I surely hope so!).
Nevertheless, it seems like the device has exceeded my expectations resolution wise!
It seems good enough to display nearly all pdf books I own, and has zoom levels to compensate for extreme books (that use extreme large white borders).

However, I have heard some negative reviews about color intensity,
If someone could compare the Jetbook Color to the Jetbook / Jetbook mini, or first generation e-ink devices like the Sony PRS505?

Now continuing to read up, and hopefully someone could tell us the avg page flip time! :-)

Last edited by ProDigit; 02-05-2012 at 07:55 PM.
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 07:56 PM   #82
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
I'd also love if they have a black version of this one available!
I'm not too fond of white borders (apple lookalikes), in fact I find white borders distracting!
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 09:34 PM   #83
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProDigit View Post
I'd also love if they have a black version of this one available!
I'm not too fond of white borders (apple lookalikes), in fact I find white borders distracting!
I see the picture of black version on Eink website:
http://www.eink.com/customer_showcas...ook_color.html
I think both colors will be available soon but I can't wait...
Old 02-05-2012, 11:31 PM   #84
TheEngineer
TheEngineer doesn't litterTheEngineer doesn't litterTheEngineer doesn't litter

Device: Jetbook color
Thank you very much LuBiB for the through review.

I just got my Jetbook color and the pdf are unreadable because of the white margins and small fonts. Also, there is a problem with the zoom function, you can't turn pages while zooming, you must go back to original view and then turn the page.

Quote:
I reformat the PDFs on my comp to fit them to screen in the size i want so they look better for what i want in a PDF, usually takes about 2 minutes to do it i'll list the steps if anyones interested.
could you please elaborate on this, I'm desperate for any advice to make pdf's readable.
TheEngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 11:51 PM   #85
PF4Mobile
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEngineer View Post
Thank you very much LuBiB for the through review.

I just got my Jetbook color and the pdf are unreadable because of the white margins and small fonts. Also, there is a problem with the zoom function, you can't turn pages while zooming, you must go back to original view and then turn the page.

could you please elaborate on this, I'm desperate for any advice to make pdf's readable.
Does this happen with any pdf or just with yours? Have you tried downloading a PDF from internet and open it on the jetbook?
Are your PDFs scanned PDFs ? would you mind uploading a smaller one here so we can see what you are talking about? I would like to test in on my other ereaders and look at it on PC perhaps I can see what is so specific about them
Old 02-06-2012, 12:26 AM   #86
TheEngineer

This happens with all my pdf's (none of which is scanned).
Here's an example of two pdf's that I've tried
http://www.mediafire.com/?mp5adj1jn1ykjte
Old 02-06-2012, 12:48 AM   #87
PF4Mobile
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEngineer View Post
This happens with all my pdf's (none of which is scanned).
Here's an example of two pdf's that I've tried
http://www.mediafire.com/?mp5adj1jn1ykjte
Hmm they are regular files....
Not sure what you are missing at your end but these should have no problems I would say
I have cropped one of them for you It could be cropped more but I was affraid not to cut out content. Please confirm if this has improved the rendering ...

Looking at your file I do realize that having no scribbling or free hand drawing in PDF files is a big impediment for actively reading such files... I might face the same problems. Putting marks on the doc with a pen when you have such formulae I guess it is a must...please let us know how you plan to deal with that....
Attached Files
File Type: pdf signalscropped.PDF (694.3 KB, 317 views)

Last edited by PF4Mobile; 02-06-2012 at 12:51 AM.
Old 02-06-2012, 01:26 AM   #88
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProDigit View Post
However, I have heard some negative reviews about color intensity,
If someone could compare the Jetbook Color to the Jetbook / Jetbook mini, or first generation e-ink devices like the Sony PRS505?
The jetbook Color has very very much greater color intensity, than the
black and white devices you mention.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 01:49 AM   #89
TheEngineer

PF4Mobile,

Except for the last line being cropped a bit, the readability is orders of magnitude better now. Could you please guide me to the steps of processing the pdf ?

Regarding the highlight and scribbling, you're right. It's extremely important for such books and I currently don't have any plans to deal with this problem except to wait for an update.

I definitely know that the device supports all of that as seen in the following video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TmTV0JT6NYk) but I have no idea why Jetbook colors comes with the firmware that it currently has.
Old 02-06-2012, 01:54 AM   #90
Kris777
Banned

Lubib, can you check the attached files on jetBook Color?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ZS 36-12-13.jpg
Views:	400
Size:	550.4 KB
ID:	82201   Click image for larger version

Name:	ZS 36-12-27.jpg
Views:	385
Size:	597.6 KB
ID:	82202  

Tags