Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 06-29-2022, 04:33 PM   #1
ajkessel
Connoisseur
ajkessel began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3rd Generation
Email to Kindle randomly rejecting EPUB attachments

I wrote a procmail filter that converts certain HTML emails into EPUB books via the Calibre CLI and then forwards them as attachments to my Kindle email address. Usually, this works fine, but every once in a while the transmission is rejected with an email response "There was a problem with the document(s) you sent to Kindle." I'm definitely not exceeding the size limitations (the EPUB files are always less than 1MB), and I'm not using any unusual calibre convert options -- I've tried both --epub-version 2 and --epub-version 3, and both occasionally generate this rejection error.

Does anyone have any ideas for isolating what the cause of the occasional rejection might be? The Amazon email itself gives no detail as to why it thinks the attached EPUB is noncompliant.
ajkessel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 04:51 PM   #2
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...&postcount=212
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 10:46 PM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
There is an entry in the calibre FAQ about it

https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/faq...-of-mobi-files
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 12:08 PM   #4
ajkessel
Connoisseur

Thanks for the pointers. One workaround is converting from EPUB to MOBI to EPUB. But since I'm starting with HTML, should it work just as well to convert HTML->MOBI->EPUB? (I'm testing now but the problem is not entirely reproducible so just looking for any wisdom from people who have gone down this road.)
Old 06-30-2022, 06:35 PM   #5
ajkessel
Connoisseur

Alternatively, I wonder if just removing the Table of Contents would make the file more palatable to Amazon? Is there a way to do this from the command-line? I'm not seeing any applicable option in the ebook-convert manpage.

Tags
email, epub, kindle