Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 05-11-2013, 09:02 AM   #16531
LovesMacs
Fanatic
LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephjk View Post
Thanks for the advice, I'm off to investigate the best one for me!
Please tell us which translation you pick and why. Thank you and happy reading!
LovesMacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 09:16 AM   #16532
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
This is not a what-I-am-reading post, but a what-am-I-going-to-read one. I hope it's still the right place.

I have four Jo Nesbø books on my TBR pile: The Snowman (#7), The Redbreast (#3), Nemesis (#4) and The Devil's Star(#5).
Do you know if the order is important? Can I start with The Redbreast or should I go for #1, whatever this one is?

Thank you!
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 09:53 AM   #16533
bfisher
Wizard
bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Galaxy (Aldiko, Kobo app)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pulpmeister View Post
I'm currently re-reading
The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich, William L Shirer. (1960)

I read this more or less non-stop back around 1965, in the Pan Paperback edition, which I still have, much battered about but still, amazingly, holding together despite being over 1400 pages!

Shirer was a US newspaper correspondent based in Berlin until 1940, and who had access to the vast captured German files after the war. He could easily read German, and so didn't have to wait for translations.

This was the first general history of Nazism and the 3rd Reich, and still the easiest to read; Shirer's journalism skill showing through. It is a monumental bit of research.

If you want the whole appalling story in one book, which is not a dry-as-dust historians' approach, and you don't mind that Shirer's justified indignation tends to give it flavour, this is it.

I'd hate to make an e-book out of it. There are well over 1300 source reference in the text, and probably close to 1,000 footnotes. It would be a nightmare sorting that lot out.
Shirer also wrote Berlin Diary, a day-by-day of his experiences in Germany from 1934 to 1941. He does acknowledge that he wrote it with the intention to eventually publish it, so you do have to wonder how much editing he was doing as he went along. Still, an interesting outsider's view of Nazi Germany. In the pre-war period.
bfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 10:26 AM   #16534
bfisher
Wizard
bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I recently finished Michael Dibdin's The last Sherlock Holmes Story - an interesting twist, but an unconvincing ending.

I am halfway through Douglas Lindsay's The Long Midnight of Barney Thomson. It is hilarious. It feels like the novel of a Mel Brooks script about a serial killer.
Old 05-11-2013, 10:29 AM   #16535
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by samhy View Post
This is not a what-I-am-reading post, but a what-am-I-going-to-read one. I hope it's still the right place.

I have four Jo Nesbø books on my TBR pile: The Snowman (#7), The Redbreast (#3), Nemesis (#4) and The Devil's Star(#5).
Do you know if the order is important? Can I start with The Redbreast or should I go for #1, whatever this one is?

Thank you!
The Bat is #1 and it is set in Australia. I started with The Redbreast since it's the first of the Oslo Trilogy (The Redbreast, Nemesis, and The Devil's Star) and The Bat hadn't been released in English yet (it's available now). I'll probably go back and read The Bat next, but I'm not sure it matters that much what order you read the books in.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 10:52 AM   #16536
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synamon View Post
The Bat is #1 and it is set in Australia. I started with The Redbreast since it's the first of the Oslo Trilogy (The Redbreast, Nemesis, and The Devil's Star) and The Bat hadn't been released in English yet (it's available now). I'll probably go back and read The Bat next, but I'm not sure it matters that much what order you read the books in.
Thank you Synamon
I have the same trilogy (bought today with a 30% discount ) and I think I'll start with The Redbreast too.
I have always read Agatha Christie's books as I found them, no special order, and it was never an issue.
Old 05-11-2013, 11:31 AM   #16537
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
I have always read Agatha Christie's books as I found them, no special order, and it was never an issue.
There are quite a few cases where both Poirot and Miss Marple refer to early cases, so you could encounter "spoilers" by reading in the wrong order.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 11:55 AM   #16538
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
There are quite a few cases where both Poirot and Miss Marple refer to early cases, so you could encounter "spoilers" by reading in the wrong order.
That is right. Some of the Poirot novels I've read make references to previous cases which is why l prefer reading them in chronological order.
Gazella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 12:16 PM   #16539
samhy
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Thank you for pointing this. I guess I haven't read enough to encounter those cases. Or it was so spread through the years that I have forgotten
Old 05-11-2013, 07:03 PM   #16540
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
I will start Swift Brutal Retaliation by Meghan McCarron on my way home today.

I have a long flight tomorrow and will probably start The Short Victorious War by David Weber (Honor Harrington 3) for the trip.
I finished Swift Brutal Retaliation on April 22nd, but didn't have time to post then. It really wasn't my type of read, but since it was nominated for a Nebula Award I wanted to try it.

I am really enjoying the Honor Harrington books and will definitely be back to this series relatively soon. I didn't get a chance to even start the HH book until 5/7 due to our schedule (and flying with two kids who needed entertained).

For now I am going to read the May book club selection The Big Sleep by Raymond Chandler, the first of the Philip Marlowe mysteries.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 10:27 PM   #16541
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
If it's even half as good as the 1946 Bogart/Bacall movie, it will be a great read! That was as much a classic as 'The African Queen!'

Stitchawl
Almost 70 pages in and I'm enjoying The Big Sleep.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 10:31 PM   #16542
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:

Thank you!
The first book in the series is The Bat. I would go at this series in order. It's quite possible for there to be spoilers in later books for earlier books. Also, character development doesn't flow as well.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 11:20 AM   #16543
bfisher
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfisher View Post
I recently finished Michael Dibdin's The last Sherlock Holmes Story - an interesting twist, but an unconvincing ending.

I am halfway through Douglas Lindsay's The Long Midnight of Barney Thomson. It is hilarious. It feels like the novel of a Mel Brooks script about a serial killer.
I enjoyed The Long Midnight of Barney Thomson so much that I had to get the complete set.

I'm trying to eke it out by reading other books on my TBR. I've just started Laurence Ree's Hitler's Charisma.
Old 05-12-2013, 12:05 PM   #16544
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Finished Darkover Landfall, the precursor to Marion Zimmer Bradley's Darkover books. I'm going to start working my way through them again. I mostly read these as they were released, and never revisited. But now that I have many as eBooks (and the rest available to scan if I feel motivated), it's time read them again. It really was a remarkable "series" of books, and some were truly excellent, at least if my memory has any vailidity. Landfall was good, not great, but what I expected for when it was written and what it had to do.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 04:53 AM   #16545
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Next up: Analog Science Fiction Science Fact, July/August 2013. I'm also reading the serial from the last three issues (conclusion in this issue).
The serial was OK, but I found the initial plan implausible at best. Given the problem, I could think of many much better solutions than the one chosen.

Onto the rest of the current issue...
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote