Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-04-2010, 02:47 PM   #1
mapleleafs
mapleleafs began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Wifi
Converting from .epub to .mobi

Hi all,

I've been reading topics here and there on this forum, and have finally decided to become a member of this excellent community of avid readers.

Anyhow, I currently have a Kobo eReader, and was thinking of returning it in favor of getting the newly announced K3 (mostly because of the better screen contrast, and improved battery life).

However, I've seen it mentioned numerous places that people stay away from the Kindle simply because of there is no .epub compatibility. Why is this considered an issue? Can't you simply convert from .epub to .mobi? Is there some risk of formatting issues not carrying over?

-Jay
mapleleafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 02:50 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
To convert from a DRMed ePub, you have to first strip the DRM from the ePub and then use Calibre to convert.

Plus, you cannot borrow library eBooks with the Kindle.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-04-2010, 03:16 PM   #3
loveangel
Banned
loveangel began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
i was looking for the same procedure
loveangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 03:39 PM   #4
Sylver
Addict
Sylver began at the beginning.

Device: The Nook, iPad
like others have said, the issue is not converting .epub to .mobi - obviously there is always some uncertainty about the format when you do any conversion, but that is liveable. The real issue is you cannot convert library loaned .epub without hacking to remove DRM and Kindle still does not support library loans. If you don't intend reading library loaned books on the Kindle, then it's not a big deal for you. A lot of people stay away from the Kindle because it does not support library loans not because it does not support this or that format. I have a nook and it does not support .txt format, but I can always convert .txt to .epub as .txt does not have DRM issues. So you need to look your particular usage of the ereader before you switch. Amason still has the best ebook store, so I wouldnt worry if I am just reading purchased ebooks from Amazon or free .txt materials. But for books you already purchased from the borders or other bookstore and the ones you borrowed from the local library, it is a big issue to use on the kindle.
Sylver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 03:57 PM   #5
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
There are no risk, you still keep the original ePub file.

I think the real issue is people want one format to work across all devices, unfortunately ePUB is not that format.

Last edited by =X=; 08-04-2010 at 06:51 PM. Reason: typo, darn phone replaced not with boy
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-04-2010, 04:51 PM   #6
mapleleafs
mapleleafs began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Wifi
Ah I see.

Thanks for the prompt replies!
mapleleafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 10:01 AM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
There are no risk, you still keep the original ePub file.

I think the real issue is people want one format to work across all devices, unfortunately ePUB is not that format.
Thanks to Amazon for that problem.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 01:18 PM   #8
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I suspect that if Amazon were to switch to ePub, which does not look likely at the moment, that we would see a rapid decline in other proprietary formats. It probably would not be as dramatic or quick as when BluRay beat out HD DVD, but it would certainly push most of the mega ebook retailers into the ePub format, as far as the American market goes. Sony and B&N are already using ePub, so if Amazon switched to ePub that would be an industry changing moment. But each would no doubt use a different DRM scheme.
Old 08-07-2010, 01:57 PM   #9
6charlong
friendly lurker
6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, nook, Apple and Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
I suspect that if Amazon were to switch to ePub, which does not look likely at the moment, that we would see a rapid decline in other proprietary formats. It probably would not be as dramatic or quick as when BluRay beat out HD DVD, but it would certainly push most of the mega ebook retailers into the ePub format, as far as the American market goes. Sony and B&N are already using ePub, so if Amazon switched to ePub that would be an industry changing moment. But each would no doubt use a different DRM scheme.
I don't wish to start an argument but I think you've overlooked the Kobo reader, Borders reader, Jetbook and Jetbook Lite, EZ Reader and Pocket Pro to name a few eBook reading devices in the US market. All of the others are using the same Adept DRM. I think Jon's point was that Amazon is swimming upstream. Amazon seems to me to be tying to force everyone to buy their products exclusively while the rest of the eBook industry is forming around at least a standard for the books. There are also dozens of eBook stores selling Adapt encoded ePub with competition on prices and services, but there is no place to get AZW books except Amazon. It does seem a bit monopolistic.

Last edited by 6charlong; 08-07-2010 at 02:05 PM.
6charlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 02:39 PM   #10
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Actually I had B&N, Apple, and Adobe in mind.

But I will thank Amazon because with their solution I can read MOBI formats on, PC, Macs, BlackBerrys, Android, iPhone, Linux, and iPads.

With the ePUB it's the same list without BlackBerrys and Linux. Considering that I use Blackberrys and Linux, this is a failed format for me.

=X=
Old 08-07-2010, 02:55 PM   #11
=X=
Wizard

You aren't being argumentative, you bring up some good points.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6charlong View Post
... Amazon seems to me to be tying to force everyone to buy their products exclusively while the rest of the eBook industry is forming around at least a standard for the books. ...
Considering that there are three DRM solutions for ePUB, I would hardly consider this a standard. What is worse is every time a big player comes into this industry if the adopt ePUB it will come with their own DRM. And considering Adobe DRM a standard is not something I agree with either.

They are a proprietary solution and any criticism against Amazon for a single format is also applicable to Adobe DRM.

To say you have a choice of vendors/storefronts with ePUB reminds me of Henry Fords line. "You have choice of color, so long as it's black". Here its "You have a choice of vendors so long as they support "Adobe DRM".

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6charlong View Post
There are also dozens of eBook stores selling Adapt encoded ePub with competition on prices and services, but there is no place to get AZW books except Amazon. It does seem a bit monopolistic.
You can buy MOBI(AZW) books from Bean, SmashBooks, Oriely, and a few others, but their names escape me.

You can also get free books form Mobieread, FeedBooks, Project Guentgerg, (see their website for more free sites (more...))

They are not the only source of MOBI books.

=X=
Old 08-07-2010, 03:07 PM   #12
wacomme
Enthusiast
wacomme began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 arriving 1/12
I'm new to e-readers. With the new price drop, I'm planning to step into the ring with a Kindle 3. Not being able to read library books and the whole DMR issue behooves me. It seems to me that one can covert .epub files using Calibre as long as it doesn't have a DMR (???) attachment, which all library loan books seems to have. There's also an undercurrent discussion that one can strip the DMR label from .epub files. So, can library books be read on a Kindle or not? It seems like they can be read, but one has to go through several hoops to make the conversion. Is this correct?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylver View Post
like others have said, the issue is not converting .epub to .mobi - obviously there is always some uncertainty about the format when you do any conversion, but that is liveable. The real issue is you cannot convert library loaned .epub without hacking to remove DRM and Kindle still does not support library loans. If you don't intend reading library loaned books on the Kindle, then it's not a big deal for you. A lot of people stay away from the Kindle because it does not support library loans not because it does not support this or that format. I have a nook and it does not support .txt format, but I can always convert .txt to .epub as .txt does not have DRM issues. So you need to look your particular usage of the ereader before you switch. Amason still has the best ebook store, so I wouldnt worry if I am just reading purchased ebooks from Amazon or free .txt materials. But for books you already purchased from the borders or other bookstore and the ones you borrowed from the local library, it is a big issue to use on the kindle.
wacomme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 03:22 PM   #13
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by wacomme View Post
So, can library books be read on a Kindle or not? It seems like they can be read, but one has to go through several hoops to make the conversion. Is this correct?
Yes. You can strip Adobe DRM on library ebooks using the "inept" scripts (e.g. ineptepub.pyw). This is illegal in the US, even if you delete the DRM-free version within the checkout time limit. If you do delete the DRM-free ebook after reading it, it is hard to see anything ethically wrong with this approach.

If you can find a library offering MOBI ebooks, these can be used on your Kindle without removing the DRM. You still need to process the ebook with the kindlefix.py script though.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 04:20 PM   #14
RoboRay
Zealot
RoboRay has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RoboRay has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RoboRay has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: NookColor (CM7); OLPC XO (Ubuntu 8.10); HTC Thunderbolt (CM7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
If they're using different DRM schemes, as far as the average user is concerned, they're different formats.

Epub is a common format only in theory, not in practice.

Last edited by RoboRay; 08-07-2010 at 05:53 PM.
RoboRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 04:22 PM   #15
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Not just Amazon

Quote:

Sony and B&N epub books are NOT mutually compatible. We really need all the majors, Sony, B&N and Amazon, to all use the same format and DRM. Its irrelevant what that format is.

If 2 of the 3 majors get compatible with each other, the third will join in for sure.

Right now I can read all their ebooks on my PC but not in their devices. I price all eBooks on my Sony Wish List on an Excel spreadsheet by the 3 prices and the hard book pages.

Then I select the most pages per dollar and the cheapest of the three majors to buy my ebook. I keep over 50 eBooks in my spreadsheet and sort by the most pages per dollar.

All my eBooks are purchased. I never rent from libraries simply because my town's library has not yet purchased Overdrive. In addtion I read 2 books at one time and take months to finish one of them. I would never be able to read an eBook in 2 or 3 weeks required for library rentals.

Last edited by sirmaru; 08-07-2010 at 04:24 PM.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote