Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-26-2010, 02:50 AM   #1
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Firmware updating question

Hi All,

As some may have seen on other threads I am looking for a second reader. The Kobo is one of the readers I am considering. Where my question lies is; How does one update the firmware if they do not have a Windows/OSX machine? I ask as I am a Linux-only user.

I'm not particularly inclined to repartition my machine to install Windows just to perform a firmware update. Have Kobo made a .bin available to update via SD?

Now being an Aussies, and hypothetically say I am forced to find a Windows machine. Can I use either the A&R app or Borders app for the firmware update? Is the firmware unique in anyway to either store? What if I used the offical Kobo app and later installed the Borders app to sync up purchased books, work?
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 02:57 AM   #2
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solicitous View Post
I'm not particularly inclined to repartition my machine to install Windows just to perform a firmware update. Have Kobo made a .bin available to update via SD?
the question has been asked many times but Kobo support staff seem most reluctant to discuss the possibility of an SD card image being provided.

I asked staff at A&R over the phone today and they have simply suggested contacting Kobo technical help. This certainly does not instill me with any degree of confidence, though I did send an email.

I am truly not keen to go down the USB path with the increased risk of bricking my investment. The firmware updates I have done in the past were all simple files and not via USB.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-26-2010, 06:50 AM   #3
zoran
himself
zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabredog View Post
the question has been asked many times but Kobo support staff seem most reluctant to discuss the possibility of an SD card image being provided.

I am truly not keen to go down the USB path with the increased risk of bricking my investment. The firmware updates I have done in the past were all simple files and not via USB.
As in every dangerous situation ,there must be a spark
of sanity. I think we should ask dodo bird for answer.
zoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 07:24 AM   #4
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabredog View Post

I asked staff at A&R over the phone today and they have simply suggested contacting Kobo technical help. This certainly does not instill me with any degree of confidence, though I did send an email.

Thanks for the response. It does seem rather strange, and given that some people who have experienced failed upgrades/issue have been sent a SD card to reflash their Kobo proves they certainly have the procedures in place.

I too do not like the idea of requiring the use of USB to perform an update, and I especially do not like the idea of the software being required to do it (we all know how many times a piece of software can crash for no apparent reason).

Perhaps the underlying reasoning for forcing people to update via USB/software is so Kobo can control the firmware update procedure ie: Updates more of an incremental update resulting in the inability to reflash back to a previous firmware. Who knows, perhaps I have been spoilt by my reader which allows me to flash any firmware version at any time (and even from other vendors). I am still interested in the Kobo (the price is damn attractive), but if as a Linux user I am unable to perform maintenance on a Linux-based device.....kind of ironic
Old 07-26-2010, 11:44 AM   #5
zero10
zero10 began at the beginning.

The purpose of the USB update is likely to present a minor inconvenience thereby discouraging people from reverse-engineering the firmware and providing modified versions.

That said, the USB update went horribly wrong for me. I have to ask the people at Kobo, what is better, having no customers because you repeatedly brick their devices with firmware updates, or having a lack of publisher backing because your device is too open? I caution that you have stepped a bit too far on the former side of this.

I wish somebody would have posted the SD card image or contents as that would have saved me many hours of frustration.
zero10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-26-2010, 04:22 PM   #6
kingduct
Enthusiast
kingduct doesn't litterkingduct doesn't litterkingduct doesn't litter

Device: none
I'm in the same situation. I recently sent a message to the Kobo representative on this board asking as well how to update with Linux, but have yet to get a reply. Any help would be appreciated!
kingduct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 08:08 PM   #7
JPenguin
Connoisseur
JPenguin began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo EReader, Kobo for Palm Pre
Does the latest version of the Kobo desktop for linux not offer to update the device when syncing? I installed the Kobo software on my Windows 7 work machine to perform the upgrade and since use it only with the Kobo desktop on Ubuntu 10.04.

I suspect the reason why the USB update is the only official end-user authorized method is done for support reasons, it seems to work for most people and it is easier to a single update method than provide several different methods for computer-illiterate users, novice PC users and power users. Since Kobo's support people are going to the extra effort of mailing SD cards to people or having Kobo units shipped in that the effort involved in formatting and transferring the update to the SD card is not insignificant.

If you're using Linux and don't have access to a Windows machine then I think the easiest solution is to simply go into a Chapters/Indigo and have the update done there (assuming the Kobo desktop app doesn't perform the update). Also if there is a problem with the update they may be able to do more to help you.
JPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 08:25 PM   #8
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPenguin View Post
If you're using Linux and don't have access to a Windows machine then I think the easiest solution is to simply go into a Chapters/Indigo and have the update done there (assuming the Kobo desktop app doesn't perform the update). Also if there is a problem with the update they may be able to do more to help you.
Certainly fine for those who can do that. But there is no possibility of that if you are an Australian owner of the Kobo. Both Borders AND A&R have no policy in place to update firmware instore via SD card.

This is why many of us are asking for that option.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 09:05 PM   #9
dafrizz
Ultimate Player
dafrizz will become famous soon enoughdafrizz will become famous soon enoughdafrizz will become famous soon enoughdafrizz will become famous soon enoughdafrizz will become famous soon enoughdafrizz will become famous soon enough

Device: Kobo 1, Kobo Touch
The latest linux kobo desktop app lets you upgrade the firmware. No need for windows.

Here and here.
dafrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 12:15 AM   #10
Solicitous
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by dafrizz View Post
The latest linux kobo desktop app lets you upgrade the firmware. No need for windows.

Here and here.
Thanks. Do you know if the Linux app is going to continue to be supported?

Now when it comes to apps (I ask as my father is considering one and he is a Windows user), could he install the Kobo, BordersAU and Angus and Robertson apps, buy ebooks from each of the bookstores using their app and then sync to the Kobo without affecting the other books?

ie: He has 3 books bought through the Kobo app, can he load the Borders app and buy a book without affecting his purchased books from Kobo? Or is this beyond the realms of reality and he'd be better off just running ADE?
Old 07-30-2010, 12:57 AM   #11
dafrizz
Ultimate Player
dafrizz will become famous soon enoughdafrizz will become famous soon enoughdafrizz will become famous soon enoughdafrizz will become famous soon enoughdafrizz will become famous soon enoughdafrizz will become famous soon enough

Device: Kobo 1, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Thanks. Do you know if the Linux app is going to continue to be supported? ?
No idea. Given the interest in the linux app shown on this forum and kob's support so far I would think they continue to support it. But that's just a guess. Maybe a kobo rep can comment ?

Quote:
ie: He has 3 books bought through the Kobo app, can he load the Borders app and buy a book without affecting his purchased books from Kobo? Or is this beyond the realms of reality and he'd be better off just running ADE?
Again, I don't know, haven't tried, but I think it would work. I have loaded books using the kobo app and calibre. Syncing with the kobo app had no effect on the books loaded through calibre. I would imagine it's the same when using the borders/a&r/kobo app simultaneously. But only a trial can confirm that.

However, I think you're best of buying from wherever you want (eg borders etc.), but instead of syncing through the app download it directly through ADE, strip DRM, sync with calibre.
More control over the book you purchased, less likely to have issues in the future, eg when buying a new computer etc.
dafrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 01:09 AM   #12
zoran
himself
zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Quote:
Thanks. Do you know if the Linux app is going to continue to be supported?
In fact, having more than one method to do something
takes time and effort. Staff becomes tired. Users are not
happy neither.
If possible, I'd suggest to simplify upgrade. Why, for God's
sake, developing at least 4 separated ways to do one thing?
Once again, SD card never failed and everybody could use
it.
My 2 cents (or less).
zoran is offline   Reply With Quote