Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-04-2010, 03:06 PM   #1
vaughnmr
Ebook Reader
vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, HTC Evo, HTC View
Massive hacking of iTunes accounts happening right now!

Someone is evidently hacking the iTunes accounts at this time, and many, many people have reported having anywhere from $100 to $600 stolen from their credit or debit cards. You would be advised to immediately check your account and change password if you are an itunes member!

see Engadget:

http://www.engadget.com/2010/07/04/i...onnected-to-i/

Also:

http://www.indepthwithtech.com/news/...re-hacked.html

More:

http://www.macstories.net/news/itune...ese-developer/

Also reported elsewhere, but Apple is not saying anything at this time...

Last edited by vaughnmr; 07-04-2010 at 03:29 PM.
vaughnmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 03:08 PM   #2
vaughnmr
Ebook Reader
vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Also see news on Twitter...

http://twitter.com/search?q=itunes%20hacked
Advert
Old 07-04-2010, 03:15 PM   #3
SameOldStory
My True Self
SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab 2 7.0
"The other half of this story has to do with a claimed rise in iTunes account hacking, with a number of people reporting up to hundreds of dollars being spent unwillingly from their account to these specific books."

So someone is hacking into iTunes to "buy" ebooks? I don't thing that Apple is going to keep this money.

Am I the only one that has a debit card just for internet purchases? I only keep 1 or 2 hundred in the account. More is added only when I'm about to make a bigger purchase. There is NO overdraft on this account.

The question is what customer info was taken.
SameOldStory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 03:19 PM   #4
vaughnmr
Ebook Reader

I'm seeing reports now that this is worldwide, and has been going on for over a week. There are multiple posts from people who are reporting resistance from Apple support on this, and they are having to deal directly with Paypal and their own banks. This involves the ebook section of itunes, I believe.
Old 07-04-2010, 03:26 PM   #5
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Uh-oh.

You see? You see what happens when....
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-04-2010, 03:42 PM   #6
Dellaster
本の虫
Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle3, DXG, Fire · iPad, iPod
Thanks for the warning post. It seems a bit unclear how much of danger this is but it certainly doesn't hurt to change the password. Which I did even though I have no recent purchases shown in my account.

My iTunes app was getting reset frequently as I did what I needed to do. I'm guessing the word has spread and Apple is getting hammered by legitimate users logging into their account this time, not hackers.

- Ted
Dellaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 04:28 PM   #7
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
As I mentioned on a duplicate thread: Don't we get e-mail receipts with each iTunes or iBook purchase? (Unless hackers change our e-mail addresses.)

I keep a separate credit card for online purchases, so I can easily track and shut down, as needed. I use a credit card, not a debit card, because most credit cards have fraud protection, and many debit cards don't.
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 04:34 PM   #8
vaughnmr
Ebook Reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie Leung View Post
As I mentioned on a duplicate thread: Don't we get e-mail receipts with each iTunes or iBook purchase? (Unless hackers change our e-mail addresses.)

I keep a separate credit card for online purchases, so I can easily track and shut down, as needed. I use a credit card, not a debit card, because most credit cards have fraud protection, and many debit cards don't.
I just read a post that said their email, user name, password, and password secret question were all changed. I don't know how widespread this is, but I'd definitely look into it if you are using the Apple app store. It all looks like legitimate news to me, but I'm not a part of the Apple world (I can't get into the ibook store).
Old 07-04-2010, 04:42 PM   #9
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughnmr View Post
I just read a post that said their email, user name, password, and password secret question were all changed. I don't know how widespread this is, but I'd definitely look into it if you are using the Apple app store. It all looks like legitimate news to me, but I'm not a part of the Apple world (I can't get into the ibook store).
Thanks.

Checked. Nothing funky with my account so far.
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 04:56 PM   #10
vaughnmr
Ebook Reader

Here's a Youtube video from a guy that said he heard about it, had no problem, he was secure, etc., then he gets a call from Wells Fargo, who said they had tons of accounts hacked... He was taken for $600. This was 2 hrs ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0IEbVhi6lDs
Old 07-04-2010, 05:01 PM   #11
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
This is the kind of hack that can destroy customer confidence for a long time. I don't believe this was done just for the money.
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 05:10 PM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Given that payment for apps and books isn't made instantly (it's a monthly payment by Apple to the developer/author), if there really have been fraudulent purchases made, all that's going to happen is that the money will be refunded - the hacker is extremely unlikely to actually get anything. Just goes to prove the old rule - never, EVER, use a password that's vulnerable to a dictionary attack.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 05:18 PM   #13
vaughnmr
Ebook Reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Given that payment for apps and books isn't made instantly (it's a monthly payment by Apple to the developer/author), if there really have been fraudulent purchases made, all that's going to happen is that the money will be refunded - the hacker is extremely unlikely to actually get anything. Just goes to prove the old rule - never, EVER, use a password that's vulnerable to a dictionary attack.
Yea, that guy in the youtube video was bragging about how secure his password was, yada-yada, right up to the point when the bank called him about the fraudulent charges on his iTunes account...
Old 07-04-2010, 05:21 PM   #14
steph_g
Book Lover
steph_g doesn't littersteph_g doesn't litter

Device: iPad, iPhone 3GS
Hope this is enough

Just changed my password and removed CC info from iTunes. I have about $80 credit on my account which I would hate to lose. I hope this is enough! So far no suspicious activity.
steph_g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 05:31 PM   #15
vaughnmr
Ebook Reader

Here's info from another tech site:

"What used to be a sole developer hacking iTunes accounts has now sprung into 2 or more developer slash hackers. Thuat Nguyen began hacking accounts to buy his apps numerous times as evidenced by the image above.

Reports are coming in that fraud charges amount anywhere from $100 to above $600. Note that this isn’t AppStore country centralized as users from outside the US are also reporting the incident.

How To Protect Your Account

1.Login to iTunes
2.Change your password to alphanumeric and preferably something above 10 characters
3.Go to My Account > Edit Payment Information
4.Set payment option to NONE

If You’ve Been Hacked Already

1.Email support@iTunes.com
2.Try and recover your password: http://iForgot.Apple.com

I suggest you do the following steps immediately as if you wait around, fireworks aren’t the only ones lighting up tonight."

I personally don't use Apple products, so I can't verify the soundness of his recommendations. I'm hearing that Bank of America and Wells Fargo are reporting the fraud so far.