Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 11-29-2008, 10:13 PM   #1
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Sherlock Holmes Omnibus

Having read _The Hound of the Baskervilles_ in less than a weeks time and thoroughly enjoying it I would like to continue and read all the stories. There don't seem to be many.

I have downloaded the Omnibus put together by HarryT... and I thank him for it.

Now, my basic question is, what order should I read it in. Should I just read the stories in the order that they are in the omnibus? Or, should I read them in chronological orders based on the dates in the TOC? I assume those dates are the publish dates.

Thanks for helping me navigate through these. I don't know what too me so long to read them... I have always loved mysteries having read most if not all of the Christie books as a teenager.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 04:14 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I would recommend reading them in order of publication date (which I think the omnibus lists).
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-30-2008, 08:35 PM   #3
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie
bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: iPad, MotoXStyle, OnePlusOne
I've started going through it by Chronological order, and am enjoying it so far.

It's the first time in ten years I've picked up one of his books, and am quiet surprised by how much I'm enjoying it.

While some of it does seem dated, as you would expect I'm surprised on how much of its influence I can now spot in more modern writings.

And It's really nice contrast to Agatha Christie Work, especially as I've just started watching Season 1 of the Poirot ITV series.

When Reading some of Holmes Dialogue and explanation, I can just about hear Hercule Poirot's Dismissive comments
bbusybookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 12:41 AM   #4
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I would recommend reading them in order of publication date (which I think the omnibus lists).
Thanks. Would be nice to have the omnibus in this order. (hint hint).

BOb
Old 12-01-2008, 10:56 AM   #5
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
A long time ago, I had a p-book that had been annoteated by a bunch of people who really need jobs. Or at least, that would seem the case, since there were long passages about how they arrived at the actual dates that the stories had taken place. Anyway, it was presented as taking place in the "correct" chronological order, thereby clearing up some of the strange things Conan Doyle did with Dr Watson's love life. If they were not damaged in some freakish accident or other, I will try to dig them up and put the list on line here as yet another way of reading "the Canon" as the authors put it.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-01-2008, 02:39 PM   #6
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
There isn't a definitive internal chronology, but lots of people have produced versions.

The one at

http://www.sherlockpeoria.net/Who_is...kTimeline.html

is very good - it has links to the reasoning behind the dates assigned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pshrynk View Post
A long time ago, I had a p-book that had been annoteated by a bunch of people who really need jobs. Or at least, that would seem the case, since there were long passages about how they arrived at the actual dates that the stories had taken place. Anyway, it was presented as taking place in the "correct" chronological order, thereby clearing up some of the strange things Conan Doyle did with Dr Watson's love life. If they were not damaged in some freakish accident or other, I will try to dig them up and put the list on line here as yet another way of reading "the Canon" as the authors put it.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 02:46 PM   #7
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Anyone read this?

Sherlock Holmes Was Wrong: Reopening the Case of the Hound of the Baskervilles

BOb
Old 12-01-2008, 05:42 PM   #8
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
That sounds rather interesting - I shall keep that premise in mind as I'm just about to start Hound!
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote