Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 08-31-2008, 01:38 PM   #46
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
What's the problem with the .oeb.zip books?

As for folder organization, there are an infinite number of ways to do this. Back when I was first designing the GUI I used to keep my books in folders too, but I found a rigid, hierarchical tagging system (which is what folders are) to be to limited for my needs, which is why I wrote the GUI to browse my book collection. That said, adding support for different folder organizations is not too difficult, but it's not something I personally have any motivation for.
My personal preference would be one of two, or even both...

1. You have the ability to create folders in the GUI and the files duplicate that structure. Or... you can "export" the files to that folder structure.

2. You have the ability to tag each book with one or more tags... and you can navigate the tags, stacking them of course. Author name's would become tags automatically too. Finally, be able to "export" the files based on the currently selected tags making each tag a folder.

If you provide the "export" feature then calibre can store the files in the most efficient manor... yet allowing to specify the "export" folder layout would support readers that support folders or be used for archival purposes of whatever.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 01:42 PM   #47
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
All those features are already in the GUI.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-31-2008, 01:57 PM   #48
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
All those features are already in the GUI.
Hmm.... you must have made alot of changes then since I last used it. I'll d/l it and take a look.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 02:02 PM   #49
JeffElkins
Guru
JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kobo Clara 2E/HD, Kindle PW
Quote:
What's the problem with the .oeb.zip books?
Mine are .oebzip not oeb.zip. Calibre does not like this extension.
JeffElkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 02:02 PM   #50
JayCeeEll
Connoisseur
JayCeeEll doesn't litterJayCeeEll doesn't litterJayCeeEll doesn't litter

Device: PRS-300
Quote:
Just to be clear, you did not have an old installation of calibre before installing the beta?
That is right, no previous version of either calibre or libprs500 installed on that VM.
JayCeeEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-31-2008, 02:09 PM   #51
JeffElkins
Guru
JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.

Quote:
As for folder organization, there are an infinite number of ways to do this.
True. I'll keep working with the current method...it may grow on me
Old 08-31-2008, 02:14 PM   #52
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffElkins View Post
Mine are .oebzip not oeb.zip. Calibre does not like this extension.
renaming to oeb.zip should do the trick.
Old 08-31-2008, 02:26 PM   #53
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCeeEll View Post
That is right, no previous version of either calibre or libprs500 installed on that VM.
That bug will be fixed in the next release.
Old 08-31-2008, 03:17 PM   #54
JeffElkins
Guru

Quote:
renaming to oeb.zip should do the trick.
Yes, but unfortunately fbreader no longer recognizes the file as an oeb archive.
Old 08-31-2008, 03:30 PM   #55
wheels2040
wheels2040 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505 Reader
on OSX, if I choose to have my data stored on a windows share, i get an error that the database is locked. I have all rights on the windows share.
wheels2040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 03:50 PM   #56
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheels2040 View Post
on OSX, if I choose to have my data stored on a windows share, i get an error that the database is locked. I have all rights on the windows share.
The database uses fcntl based file locking (this is not supported by all methods of sharing disks between computers). The only one that I know it works with is an sshfs based mount.
Old 08-31-2008, 04:20 PM   #57
coljoe
coljoe began at the beginning.

Device: Clie NX73
doesn't work here
WindowsXP SP3 german, working Calibre 0.4.83
Quote:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "debug.py", line 10, in <module>
File "calibre\__init__.pyo", line 375, in <module>
File "calibre\utils\config.pyo", line 561, in migrate
File "calibre\utils\config.pyo", line 434, in set
File "calibre\utils\config.pyo", line 383, in set
UnicodeEncodeError: 'ascii' codec can't encode character u'\xfc' in position 104
: ordinal not in range(128)
coljoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 05:40 PM   #58
astrodad
Guru
astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Paperwhite 1, iPad, iPhone
This is what I get when I attempt to change the author for a book:

[Errno 78] Function not implemented
Detailed traceback:
File "calibre/gui2/library.pyo", line 434, in setData
File "calibre/library/database.pyo", line 1084, in set
File "calibre/library/database2.pyo", line 397, in set_authors
File "calibre/library/database2.pyo", line 249, in set_path
OSError: [Errno 78] Function not implemented

It goes ahead and creates the new folder for the author, but does not copy the files. The files remain in the original author's folder.

This is on Mac OS X 10.5 on a brand new database.
astrodad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 05:41 PM   #59
astrodad
Guru
astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I get a similar error changing the book image:

[Errno 78] Function not implemented
Detailed traceback:
File "calibre/gui2/dialogs/metadata_single.pyo", line 325, in accept
File "calibre/library/database2.pyo", line 403, in set_title
File "calibre/library/database2.pyo", line 249, in set_path
OSError: [Errno 78] Function not implemented
Old 08-31-2008, 05:44 PM   #60
astrodad
Guru

I should note that my database is located on a remote file system mounted through ssh. When I change metadata on a local file system I don't get the errors.