Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 03-15-2013, 11:16 AM   #1
RZetlin
Addict
RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura HD (RIP)
Kobo Glo, Metadata and Converting (CBR/CBZ/CBT/EPUB)

There are some metadata (Publisher, Summary, Publisher Date) that shows in Calibre, but not on the Kobo Glo.

CBR/CBZ/CBT
Author shows "Unknown Author"
Under Details, Publisher show the date, not the publishing company
Synopsis states "No synopsis available for this item"

EPUB conversion
When converting the comic book format to epub, the Kobo template is only for the 800 x 600 resolution. Kobo Glo has a resolution of 1024x758. So comic books converted to epubs are in smaller scale on the Kobo Glo screen.
I end up having to use the Kindle Paperwhite template to convert any comic books to epub format.

PDF
Same issue like with CBR/CBZ/CBT files.

Open EPUB
In non-Kobo Epub books, publisher field is blank.
Synopsis and Author name loads okay

I do not know if this the limitation on the Kobo Glo or with Calibre.

Is there a way to upload the proper metadata onto the Kobo Glo?

Last edited by RZetlin; 03-15-2013 at 11:22 AM.
RZetlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 01:49 AM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by RZetlin View Post
There are some metadata (Publisher, Summary, Publisher Date) that shows in Calibre, but not on the Kobo Glo.
Before I answer the rest, I think a little information on how the driver and the Kobo devices handle sideloaded books is in order.

When you sideload a book onto a Kobo device, it is processed when the device is disconnected. The processing adds the book into an internal database with whatever metadata the device can extract from the book format. The device uses this database to display the library lists. This happens whether you you use calibre, ADE or manually copy the book to the device.

When calibre sees the connected Kobo device, the driver reads the database and works out which book in the database match which book in the calibre library. A file is also created on the device to help to do this.

When you send a book from calibre to a device, the books metadata and cover are updated and the file is copied to the device. For a Kobo device, unless the book is already in the devices database, no changes are made to the database except for shelf information. This means that any metadata changes made will not be reflected on the device. If the book is already on the device, the driver will update the filesize that is recorded in the database. If you have the series option set for the driver, when the device is connected the driver will check and update the series information for any book in the devices database.

Quote:
CBR/CBZ/CBT
That is a deficiency of the formats. There isn't a way to store the metadata in the file.
Quote:
EPUB conversion
When converting the comic book format to epub, the Kobo template is only for the 800 x 600 resolution. Kobo Glo has a resolution of 1024x758. So comic books converted to epubs are in smaller scale on the Kobo Glo screen.
I end up having to use the Kindle Paperwhite template to convert any comic books to epub format.
Yes, I haven't added a Glo specific template. While the resolution is 1024*758, I am not sure that is the best size to use. I have a feeling that a little smaller than this is better, but I haven't done any experiments. For the few comics I have tried on the Glo, I used the Tablet template. This doesn't resize the images during the generation. The Glo does the resizing if needed and you can use the zoom on the device as needed.
Quote:
PDF
Same issue like with CBR/CBZ/CBT files.
I think that's a deficiency of the PDF. Or maybe the format. I was thinking that if the PDF had a synopsis, it would be read by the Kobo device. But, a quick look at some PDFs I have, and there isn't a place to store a synopsis. The missing author is because it isn't in the PDF. I think the same goes for the publisher.
Quote:
Open EPUB
In non-Kobo Epub books, publisher field is blank.
Synopsis and Author name loads okay
That is deficiency of the device. These fields, plus ISBN, aren't read from sideloaded epubs. The date was read in earlier firmware, but they stopped doing that a little while ago. I have complained to Kobo, but have no idea whether they will fix it.
Quote:
I do not know if this the limitation on the Kobo Glo or with Calibre.

Is there a way to upload the proper metadata onto the Kobo Glo?
At the moment, no. I hope Kobo will fix the reading for at least epubs, but I am not holding my breath. I am developing a plugin that will update the metadata, but, I am not ready to release it.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-17-2013, 01:11 AM   #3
RZetlin
Addict
RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura HD (RIP)
Thanks for the update, I hope we will see improvements between Calibre and Kobo Glo soon.
RZetlin is offline   Reply With Quote