Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 09-14-2012, 12:15 PM   #391
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by holymadness View Post
You seem to have trouble understanding very basic concepts.
Why is it you seem to have your head firmly planted up the butt of Apple?
Old 09-14-2012, 12:16 PM   #392
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Care to make a bet? Winner gets the ebook of his choice when Apple declares its sales figures at its next quarterly earnings report.
I have no doubt that it will sell well, once the supply chain is filled up. I'm still waiting for your proof that supply is better than it's ever been, because you have it, don't you? I would never expect you to make things up...
Advert
Old 09-14-2012, 12:18 PM   #393
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Surely whether or not it "should be upgraded" depends on the requirements of the individual user, doesn't it? I'm not going to upgrade my iPhone 4 because it does everything I need a smartphone to do.
The 3G is way too slow and doesn't work well. The 3GS is going to be seriously crippled with iOS 6. So why keep using them when they won't work all that well?

I did say before the iPhone 4. Yours is an iPhone 4 and your keeping it. So I was right.
Old 09-14-2012, 12:20 PM   #394
holymadness
Guru
holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
I have no doubt that it will sell well, once the supply chain is filled up. I'm still waiting for your proof that supply is better than it's ever been, because you have it, don't you? I would never expect you to make things up...
Ah, so you won't put your money where your mouth is. Pity, but unsurprising.

Incidentally, which is it: Apple is artificially constraining the supply of iPhones to increase hype, or Sharp has trouble delivering screens and therefore the supply is reduced? I get a bit confused by all the different conspiracy theories.
Old 09-14-2012, 12:21 PM   #395
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Disappointing indeed.

Source

Apple had that AD about "can your phone do this" while showing a voice and data call simultaneously. Well, guess what? The AD on youtube is now private and you can't see it, wonder why?
AT&T allowed voice and data. It was Verizon that did not.
Advert
Old 09-14-2012, 12:26 PM   #396
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

Incidentally, which is it: Apple is artificially constraining the supply of iPhones to increase hype, or Sharp has trouble delivering screens and therefore the supply is reduced? I get a bit confused by all the different conspiracy theories.
So you won't back up your frivolous claims without proof? Pity, but yet again, unsurprising.
Old 09-14-2012, 12:28 PM   #397
holymadness
Guru
holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
So you won't back up your claims without proof? Pity, but yet again, unsurprising.
Like I said, the proof will come out during the Q4 earnings call. Mark your calendar. You bluster but you're afraid of losing a friendly wager. Real tough guy.

BTW all the evidence of Apple artificially constraining launch-day supply to increase hype and lines is very convincing.
Old 09-14-2012, 12:31 PM   #398
afv011
Captain Penguin

Quote:
I never claimed it would not sell well. I questioned your claim that supply was higher than ever before, given Sharp's production issues. Nice try to avoid the question, but we're not that dumb around here and we can see through you.
Old 09-14-2012, 12:40 PM   #399
holymadness
Guru

Quote:
I never claimed it would not sell well. I questioned your claim that supply was higher than ever before, given Sharp's production issues. Nice try to avoid the question, but we're not that dumb around here and we can see through you.
LOL

Apple releases preorder figures for every iPhone model very soon after launch. In 2010, the iPhone 4 sold 600,000 units before supply dried up. In 2011, Apple sold over 1,000,000 units in the first 24 hours. In a very short while, we will have preorder sales figures for the iPhone 5, which will undoubtedly top those of its predecessors.

If you think Apple went to market with massive supply shortages, you know nothing either about business or Apple. The company is run by very intelligent people. Much smarter than you. They will have spent the last 12 months ensuring that their supply is proportionate to expected demand. Which is huge.

But we already knew that.
Old 09-14-2012, 12:41 PM   #400
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Yes, that is unfortunate. If you'd been following allowing, you'd have noticed I pointed out my consternation about this on page 3 or thereabouts.

I don't know how to explain the lack of simultaneous voice & data on CDMA models. I am more or less certain the blame lies with squarely with with non-standard North American technologies as the GSM models do not have this problem.

I do wish the phone had been sold as a single model, though. At least global 3G roaming still works without a hitch.
The single antenna seems to be the reason most people believe in. It makes the phone useless if you are tethering and for example using a laptop at the same time as you get a call.
Old 09-14-2012, 12:44 PM   #401
afv011
Captain Penguin

Quote:
Apple releases preorder figures for every iPhone model very soon after launch.
Pre-order figures do not equal available stock at launch. You can pre-order and have it shipped in 2 weeks or more, it does not mean "supply is higher than ever".
Old 09-14-2012, 12:52 PM   #402
afv011
Captain Penguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
The single antenna seems to be the reason most people believe in. It makes the phone useless if you are tethering and for example using a laptop at the same time as you get a call.
It is indeed the single antenna. Makes you wonder what those "people smarter than me" were doing for 12 months. Oh yes, of course, they took that long to figure out how to add 0.5" and hype it up!

You know, if people wanted to use both voice and data on Verizon, they could always buy an S3. For people who only copy and never innovate anything, Samsung still managed to pull this one off...

Last edited by afv011; 09-14-2012 at 02:06 PM.
Old 09-14-2012, 01:01 PM   #403
5thWiggle
Benevolent Evil Lord
5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 8.0, Galaxy Note, iPad Mini, PocketEdge(retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Don't forget EarPods
Apparently the word NosePods was already taken.

Old 09-14-2012, 02:48 PM   #404
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by din155 View Post
Where was this? Did they seriously put it in the press release?

Phil Shiller said it on stage during the 'launch event'
Old 09-14-2012, 02:57 PM   #405
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
Quote:

I don't know how to explain the lack of simultaneous voice & data on CDMA models. I am more or less certain the blame lies with squarely with with non-standard North American technologies as the GSM models do not have this problem.

I do wish the phone had been sold as a single model, though. At least global 3G roaming still works without a hitch.

CDMA does not allow for simultaneous voice and data. However other current LTE phones on Verizon et al use the CDMA for voice and the LTE for data so that both can be done at the same time. To do this they add an antenna.

Apple chose not to add an antenna to allow for this. they talked up how their antenna is able to switch back and forth between radios as if that was a plus and then mentioned not wanting to complicate the phones so they can have just one model for all carriers.

The GSM phones btw will also not be able to run Data on the LTE while using the telephony. In order to do both they will jump down to using 3g for the data and voice.

So adding the extra antenna to ALL models would have allowed for LTE data while talking on the phone for ALL carriers. but that would have effected their margin apparently more than they felt the need to add that capability.
Closed Thread