Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-11-2012, 07:12 PM   #1
evergamer
Enthusiast
evergamer began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4
Kindle 4NT Will Not Boot

So, from another thread I posted in:

Quote:
Under the advice of a friend, I followed the instructions in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWvbaN-3q6I

I'm using a K4, non-touch, that came with special offers but I paid the $30 to remove them. I was under the impression that it was the same device once they were paid for. Well, 3 problems.

-The custom screensavers do not work
-The area in the original screensavers, and main menu, that used to say 'please connect to get special offers' are back.
-The device will not update, and gets error u006
Since then, I have followed the noob guide located here: https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/K4_Index under the de-bricking section.

Now it won't even boot. It sits at a screen that is partially filled with black. It just looks like a few streaks. Hard to explain. I can post a pic if needed.

I can still fastboot it, and I can run putty commands. Beyond that, i'm stuck.

If anyone could offer some assistance I would be greatly appreciative. I just want to flash it back to stock, and never, ever try this again.

Thanks in advance for any help!
evergamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 07:24 PM   #2
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
It sounds like diags mode with a discharged battery. A photo would confirm that (or not). Please post one.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-11-2012, 07:32 PM   #3
evergamer
Enthusiast

Here you go:

Old 07-11-2012, 10:01 PM   #4
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I saw that before. It is the boy under the tree in main 608x800 resolution, displayed on a diags 600x800 screen. There are two known causes. Either your battery is not charged enough to finish booting into diags. Or your diags kernel does not match your diags partition version.

Charge it on a wall charger for a few hours, then use MfgTool to boot to fastboot mode and charge in attached to the computer for several more hours. If it does not boot diags to the menu, then use fastboot mode to flash matching versions of diags and diags kernel.
Old 07-12-2012, 01:11 AM   #5
evergamer
Enthusiast

ok, charged with wall charger for about 3 hours. plugged it in to my PC, held the power off button until the light turned off, then held down, and let go of power. then used MfgTool to fastboot. MfgTool says it was successful, but nothing changed on the kindle.

What kernal and diags should I use? I used the one in the noob walkthrough. The kindle had 4.0.1 on it before all of this.

Thanks again, so much, for the help.
Advert
Old 07-12-2012, 01:41 AM   #6
Aleyst
Zealot
Aleyst plays well with othersAleyst plays well with othersAleyst plays well with othersAleyst plays well with othersAleyst plays well with othersAleyst plays well with othersAleyst plays well with othersAleyst plays well with othersAleyst plays well with othersAleyst plays well with othersAleyst plays well with others

Device: PW (7th Gen), PW (10th Gen)
Use the 4.0.0 images, they worked for me, a few people had trouble with the 4.0.1 images
Aleyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 01:42 AM   #7
evergamer
Enthusiast

Ok, will do. I'll try finding them.
Old 07-12-2012, 01:42 AM   #8
Aleyst
Zealot
Aleyst plays well with othersAleyst plays well with othersAleyst plays well with othersAleyst plays well with othersAleyst plays well with othersAleyst plays well with othersAleyst plays well with othersAleyst plays well with othersAleyst plays well with othersAleyst plays well with othersAleyst plays well with others

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
I saw that before. It is the boy under the tree in main 608x800 resolution, displayed on a diags 600x800 screen. There are two known causes. Either your battery is not charged enough to finish booting into diags.
That was the image I had when mine wasn't working... The more you know.

You will find them in the simple debricking thread.
Old 07-12-2012, 01:51 AM   #9
evergamer
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleyst View Post
You will find them in the simple debricking thread.
Ah, found them. Going to give it a shot. I can just run the same commands that are in the noob guide, with the new file names right?
Old 07-12-2012, 02:06 AM   #10
evergamer
Enthusiast

So, I flashed the 4.0 kernel and diag, and upon running the fastboot reboot command i get nothing but a black screen. So I ran the 4.0.1 kernal and diag, and i get the same thing.
Old 07-12-2012, 02:22 AM   #11
evergamer
Enthusiast

Ok, sorry for the triple posting. It seems the only functional kernel/diag is the 5.0 set. I'm attempting to install the 4.0.1 img now.

Edit:

Installed the 4.0.1 img, rebooted it, got the same screen as in the pic. Flashed the matching kernel/diag(4.0.1), rebooted, now it's all black again.

Edit 2:

Flashed back to the 5.0 Kernel/Diag and I can get into diag again. Though when I try to boot, it's still getting the above screen.

Last edited by evergamer; 07-12-2012 at 02:36 AM.
Old 07-12-2012, 03:04 AM   #12
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Err, 5.0? On a K4?
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 03:14 AM   #13
Aleyst
Zealot

If you can plug the kindle charger into usb/ac adaptor, let it charge for a good while, I left mine overnight, Charging by usb/computer didn't work very well when I tried.

As for using the commands, by the end of it I just used the tool to boot into diags and just did the ssh commands and then instead of rebooting via ssh I used the tools to set it back to main, it worked eventually for me.
Old 07-12-2012, 06:27 AM   #14
geekmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by evergamer View Post
So, I flashed the 4.0 kernel and diag, and upon running the fastboot reboot command i get nothing but a black screen. So I ran the 4.0.1 kernal and diag, and i get the same thing.
Fastboot mode does not write to the eink screen. As documented in many places, it only changes the USB VID/PID. Just let it sit there and charge when the battery is low. Or use fastboot to flash images or change idme vars. Ignore the eink screen in fastboot mode. Somehow, you must have missed that information (many times) in your reading...
Old 07-12-2012, 10:22 AM   #15
evergamer
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Err, 5.0? On a K4?
Yea, it's the only one that works. I tried the kernel and diag files for 4.0 and 4.0.1 and I get nothing but a black screen when booting into diagnostics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleyst View Post
If you can plug the kindle charger into usb/ac adaptor, let it charge for a good while, I left mine overnight, Charging by usb/computer didn't work very well when I tried.

As for using the commands, by the end of it I just used the tool to boot into diags and just did the ssh commands and then instead of rebooting via ssh I used the tools to set it back to main, it worked eventually for me.
It was plugged in for a few hours on a wall outlet last night, but i've got it plugged in again right now. I'll leave it for the day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
Fastboot mode does not write to the eink screen. As documented in many places, it only changes the USB VID/PID. Just let it sit there and charge when the battery is low. Or use fastboot to flash images or change idme vars. Ignore the eink screen in fastboot mode. Somehow, you must have missed that information (many times) in your reading...
I didn't miss it, I just thought I had charged it enough, and I don't fully understand all of this. Sorry to be a pain. I am thankful for the help, though.

Edit: It's plugged in and at the screen above. Should it charge in this state?

Last edited by evergamer; 07-12-2012 at 10:26 AM.