Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-15-2011, 09:37 PM   #1
Aemma
Aemma began at the beginning.

Device: kobo touch
Can anybody here guide me re: issues with my Kobo Touch

Since I cannot get any help from Kobo's Help Centre, I am wondering if anybody here can point me in the right direction as to getting some assistance with my recent difficulties with my Kobo Touch?

I'm very close to returning it to my nearest Chapters bookstore and asking for my money back.
Aemma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 10:20 PM   #2
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
Well, if you're not able to get help from their help centre, and I'm assuming you've called their 1800 number, so why not state your problem here. Lots of people willing to help.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-15-2011, 10:47 PM   #3
HarleyB
Fanatic
HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (RIP), iPad, iPhone 4, Kobo Touch x2, Kobo Glo
Perhaps you should post your issues on the Kobo forum? I've often found the answers to my questions there.
HarleyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 01:40 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
We have forums to separate topics by subject area. Kobo questions belong in the Kobo forum. I'm moving this thread there.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 02:59 AM   #5
Aemma
Aemma began at the beginning.

Device: kobo touch
The long and the short of it is that the update doesn't work and nor does the syncing via my desktop. I have tried syncing my entire library via wifi and it doesn't work. Since I was told to perform a factory reset, it has taken me the better part of 5 hours this evening just to re-input the books I previously had on my ereader, each done manually. So basically, something is wrong with something (their newest version?) but not with the Kobo ereader itself, or so it seems.

And yes the call centre was the first place I tried this past Saturday and is unfortunately how this problem got even bigger when it was suggested that I perform a factory reset. Clearly a factory reset was not the panacea it was thought to be. And so I remain perplexed and without any support as to how to fix this problem.
Aemma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-16-2011, 03:34 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
You've come to the right place to get support. I'm sure that Kobo users will be able to assist you.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 04:01 AM   #7
Xennex1170
Addict
Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aemma View Post
The long and the short of it is that the update doesn't work and nor does the syncing via my desktop. I have tried syncing my entire library via wifi and it doesn't work. Since I was told to perform a factory reset, it has taken me the better part of 5 hours this evening just to re-input the books I previously had on my ereader, each done manually. So basically, something is wrong with something (their newest version?) but not with the Kobo ereader itself, or so it seems.

And yes the call centre was the first place I tried this past Saturday and is unfortunately how this problem got even bigger when it was suggested that I perform a factory reset. Clearly a factory reset was not the panacea it was thought to be. And so I remain perplexed and without any support as to how to fix this problem.
Can you describe any error messages that you have encountered?

Before you do the below back up the ebooks files you downloaded and installed on your device so you don't need to download them again and do a factory reset. This is so we know we are starting from the beginning and narrow down other possible variables.

Upon the device completing a reset:
1) install the Kobo Desktop on your computer if you have not already.
2) Plug your Kobo Touch into your computer via the included USB cable
3) Start up the Kobo Desktop which will install the most recent Firmware and sync any books in your "I'm Reading" section of your Kobo.com account.
4) When the Desktop tells you it is finished, "Eject" your Kobo Touch and disconnect the USB cable from the computer
5) LEAVE IT ALONE to set up the firmware that was installed and process the ebooks that were synced.
6) When the Home screen comes up you can either reconnect the Kobo Touch to the computer and sync via Kobo Desktop, OR
6b) If you have a wireless connection, Sync wirelessly by pressing the cloud icon towards the bottom of the Home screen.

If there are any error messages along the way let us know.
Xennex1170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 04:00 PM   #8
muskokobob
muskokobob began at the beginning.

Kobo Touch Issues

I have a new Kobo Touch, I can download books to My e reader from my friend computer,Vista, but not from mine,XPHome, have done all the obvious things, rest, factory reset ,reload desktop etc. help.

Bob
muskokobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 04:21 PM   #9
Joe563
Never spit into the wind.
Joe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

Device: Kobo Original, Kobo Touch, Kobo Android(smartphone & tablet)
According to Kobo's website a requirement for Windows XP is to have SP3 installed. Do you have it?
Joe563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 04:28 PM   #10
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
What happens on the XP machine?
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 04:21 AM   #11
Etech
Etech began at the beginning.

Device: kobo
Hi
I bought my Kobo Touch from Borders in August. It definitely did not work well, could not side load all my ebooks & etc, it was a big disappointment. But it was usable.
I decided to continue using my old reader(Astek) while waiting for kobo to get their firmware in order.
About a month back when i connected to my desktop, it updated the firmware through the Kobo desktop. Immediately after that, all it ever shows me is that stupid smiley face & those moving bars at the bottom. I have tried the reset button behind, letting battery drain, recharging the battery, but notting works. It won't even connect to the desktop now.
Anybody out there, has any idea, what to do. I'm in Cambodia, so returning it would definitely be difficult.

Thanks
Etech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 12:01 PM   #12
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Etech View Post
Hi
I bought my Kobo Touch from Borders in August. It definitely did not work well, could not side load all my ebooks & etc, it was a big disappointment. But it was usable.
I decided to continue using my old reader(Astek) while waiting for kobo to get their firmware in order.
About a month back when i connected to my desktop, it updated the firmware through the Kobo desktop. Immediately after that, all it ever shows me is that stupid smiley face & those moving bars at the bottom. I have tried the reset button behind, letting battery drain, recharging the battery, but notting works. It won't even connect to the desktop now.
Anybody out there, has any idea, what to do. I'm in Cambodia, so returning it would definitely be difficult.

Thanks
I think you should do a Hard reset, this will delete everything on your Kobo including side-loaded content and revert the firmware back to what it came with and you might have to set it up again with the desktop app but I'm not sure.

You can do a hard reset by holding the power slider and the home button down for I believe 10 seconds but it might be 15. It should go to a processing screen.

What were your problems with side-loading?
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 01:25 PM   #13
muskokobob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe563 View Post
According to Kobo's website a requirement for Windows XP is to have SP3 installed. Do you have it?
Yes, SP3 is installed
Old 01-05-2012, 01:27 PM   #14
muskokobob

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
What happens on the XP machine?
The ereader say" downloading books", shows a completion bar that stops at about 20% and sits there forever. WIFI works fine.
Old 01-05-2012, 02:45 PM   #15
Joe563
Never spit into the wind.
Joe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

Device: Kobo Original, Kobo Touch, Kobo Android(smartphone & tablet)
Quote:
Originally Posted by muskokobob View Post
The ereader say" downloading books", shows a completion bar that stops at about 20% and sits there forever. WIFI works fine.
Well, as you may know, the Desktop Application is only required for the initial setup of the Touch and the first download of the firmware. Thereafter, downloads of firmware updates and of Kobo books that you have purchased can be done via WiFi. So you should get the problem resolution going by sending a detailed e-mail to help@kobobooks.com describing the problem and what you have done so far to fix it, and, meanwhile use the WiFi when needed.

Last edited by Joe563; 01-05-2012 at 05:49 PM. Reason: Typo
Joe563 is offline   Reply With Quote