Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-03-2011, 01:05 PM   #61
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
I have two lists: a TBR (to be read) list and a WTR (want to read). The TBR list includes what I'm currently reading and anything that I've purchased or downloaded for free onto my e-reader. The WTR list is anything I'm thinking I may want to read at some time. I keep culling the WTR list as my moods change. I've also got a wish list on Amazon that keeps track of titles I am really stalking.

I manage both my lists in a spreadsheet and keep KPIs on the TBR list so I can guage how bad my book buying and downloading addiction is.
I'm very similar, minus the spreadsheet. My TBR is my Kindle which includes every e-book I own but have not yet read (free or purchased). Once read it is removed from my Kindle, but kept in Calibre.
My WTR is my Amazon Wish List. I also add books the I think my children will enjoy.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 02:02 PM   #62
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Quote:
Originally Posted by din155 View Post
Just curious to know how people maintain the TBR list. I used to maintain mine in the Google docs spread sheet.
I used google docs too, but just as a doc, not a spread sheet. Switched to Evernote recently as it has a better iPad app.

When I see books I want to read, I go and place them on my Too Be Read list. I find that I'm much better at reading the books I really want to read this way. If a new book I want to read can't make it somewhere in my top 100 books, it tells me I really don't want to read the book THAT much.

Lee
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-03-2011, 05:58 PM   #63
Statch
Connoisseur
Statch knows what time it isStatch knows what time it isStatch knows what time it isStatch knows what time it isStatch knows what time it isStatch knows what time it isStatch knows what time it isStatch knows what time it isStatch knows what time it isStatch knows what time it isStatch knows what time it is

Device: Kindle PW2, Samsung Galaxy 3, Kindle Fire HD
Interesting how many different ways people do this! I use an 'unread' tag in Calibre, and I set it up to turn the title of the book red in Calibre if it has unread in the tags. That way I can see at a glance which books are unread without having to select by tags.

I've also kept a spreadsheet for years that has my print and ebooks, so I don't accidentally buy the same book twice. I have a tag on that spreadsheet for my wish list. The wish list is for Agency-priced books. I don't buy them, with certain exceptions, but I keep a list of them for if those publishers ever come to their senses (sigh).

I keep about half my unread books on my Kindle in an 'Unread' collection. I remove it from that collection when I start reading it, so that it shows up on the Home page, and when I finish it, I rate it in Calibre and remove the Unread tag, so that the red gets removed from the title. (I also still put the rating and a comment in my spreadsheet. Eventually I want to stop keeping the two lists and I've started entering my print books into Calibre, but for now it still works for me.)
Statch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 10:25 AM   #64
Pinecone
Guru
Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-650, PRS-600, PRS-350
My Sony PRS-650 marks books as read or unread on the screen.

But basically my TBR list is everything I own p- or e-. As some books I like to re-read, especially series, when a new books comes out, I will re-read the series to fit everything together.

I do keep a WTB (Want to Buy) list of books and authors I would like to pick up. Sometimes they are additional books by authors I already have (in some cases e- copies of pbooks I own). Others are new authors that look interesting. I keep this the old fashioned way, on paper.

I have several pieces of paper with jotted notes for books to get. But I also have a Note on my iPhone to jot down interesting books I see in book stores.

I have well over 100 titles on my WTB list.
Pinecone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 11:51 AM   #65
benham
Guru
benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, PRS-505 (BLUE)
Interesting topic. I don't really keep a list. Generally I just download all books to the reader and delete them when done. The problem with that is on this forum and other reader forums, people recommend books or authors I want to try and by the time I might be ready for them, I forget where or who.
benham is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-05-2011, 01:57 PM   #66
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
I started using goodreads about a year ago and really like it. One can you organize books by category even books that you don't own. Also goodreads also keeps track of the date and duration as well.
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 03:52 PM   #67
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
I started using goodreads about a year ago and really like it. One can you organize books by category even books that you don't own. Also goodreads also keeps track of the date and duration as well.
Fantastic website
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 07:32 AM   #68
mldavis2
Coffee Nut
mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3; K4PC; Calibre
I've admitted elsewhere that I'm a Luddite. I use Goodreads to track everything. But I carry a pen and small spiral shirtpocket notepad around with me most of the time. When I read, hear or see a title I might want to add, I write it down and add it to my "to-read" list on Goodreads. That list contains both owned and desired purchases. I can print it out and take a copy with me when I head for my favorite used bookstore. A spiral notepad and pen are slightly cheaper and far more reliable than a smartphone.
mldavis2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 08:37 AM   #69
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
I'm very similar, minus the spreadsheet. My TBR is my Kindle which includes every e-book I own but have not yet read (free or purchased). Once read it is removed from my Kindle, but kept in Calibre.
My WTR is my Amazon Wish List. I also add books the I think my children will enjoy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
It is a good site. I like using GoodReads for books I am currently reading or have already read. (which I forgot to mention in my post above). Like you said, it has great organization, and tracking. I especially like the new Book Challenge aspect. Plus, its another great place to discuss books, see what others are reading, and find recommendations.

Last edited by Nyssa; 09-06-2011 at 08:40 AM.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 12:12 PM   #70
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Just curious to know how people maintain the TBR list. I used to maintain mine in the Google docs spread sheet. Anytime I saw a new book that was of interest to me, I would add it into it with status to buy or if already bought TBR. Recently I have not been able to maintain this list and wanted to know your views on the same. Do you regularly maintain a list? Where do you maintain it?

din

I am becoming addicted to GoodReads. Splendid for keeping track of what you read - and making lists/shelves, etc.
http://www.goodreads.com/

EDIT: I should probably have read the thread... I see others have mentioned GoodReads before. But it's a fantastic site...
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 01:47 AM   #71
graff_king
Enthusiast
graff_king once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.graff_king once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.graff_king once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.graff_king once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.graff_king once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.graff_king once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.graff_king once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.graff_king once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.graff_king once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.graff_king once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.graff_king once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Nook STR, Kindle 3 wifi, i4s, htc evo, BB 9810, moto xoom,NC
Quote:
Originally Posted by mldavis2 View Post
I've admitted elsewhere that I'm a Luddite. I use Goodreads to track everything. But I carry a pen and small spiral shirtpocket notepad around with me most of the time. When I read, hear or see a title I might want to add, I write it down and add it to my "to-read" list on Goodreads. That list contains both owned and desired purchases. I can print it out and take a copy with me when I head for my favorite used bookstore. A spiral notepad and pen are slightly cheaper and far more reliable than a smartphone.
A pen and paper is a must-have and you never find me without one. My kindle case has a bunch of index cards and a pen in it. I also have a few notebooks in my messenger bag. I am debating getting the new folio from m-edge since it will carry my e-reader as well as gadgets and a legal pad. I am partial to moleskine notebooks myself
graff_king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 02:02 AM   #72
melmac
Wizard
melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS650, Sony T3
TBR is everything in calibre, My WTB are wishlists at Kobo, Barnes & Noble and Amazon. This may be a silly question but I'll ask anyway On amazon I have a wishlist labeled ebooks however when you look at the listing it doesn't show any of the prices you have to click into each title to get the price. Why doesn't it work like my bluray wishlist where all the prices are shown on the list.
melmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 08:02 AM   #73
mediax
Readaholic
mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T2 (previously 505 and 650)
Quote:
Okay, how about the ones that you haven't bought but are interested in?
There are several mobile phone apps (I'm on Android) that scan ISBN codes and populate the book details. I'm currently using Book Catalogue and have a shelf for books to buy.

Now, if only I could integrate one of these with Calibre . . .
mediax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 10:16 AM   #74
benham
Guru
benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, PRS-505 (BLUE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vxf View Post
I am becoming addicted to GoodReads. Splendid for keeping track of what you read - and making lists/shelves, etc.
http://www.goodreads.com/

EDIT: I should probably have read the thread... I see others have mentioned GoodReads before. But it's a fantastic site...
Thanks for this. I had checked out Goodreads before and pretty much dismissed it. I went back and signed up. Adding the library isn't as tedious as I thought it would be.
benham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 11:24 AM   #75
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by benham View Post
Thanks for this. I had checked out Goodreads before and pretty much dismissed it. I went back and signed up. Adding the library isn't as tedious as I thought it would be.
Glad to be of use. I glanced at the site as well in the past, but only recently started using it.

I found the book-shelf management tools to be fun to use... almost addicting. But I am still far from having a complete list of my readings on the site - especially as I am trying to keep track of my comic collections.

Note that you can also export the book lists - I think that's a neat feature as well.

If you - or anyone else - is interested, my profile is:
http://www.goodreads.com/_vxf_
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote