Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 09-28-2009, 03:11 PM   #1
fusarium
fusarium began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
.tpz readable on PC?

Hey everyone!

I've tried my hand with mobidedrm and haven't had luck with this problem. I also couldn't find any info searching the forum... hopefully you can help!

I purchased a book today that is a reference book. I am currently on holiday and would love to have my girlfriend be able to read the text book on my PC.

I know my Kindle's PID and everything ... but the file is a tpz ... is it possible to convert it to a readable format?

Please let me know if you have any insight!

Thank you!!
fusarium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 03:13 PM   #2
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Sorry but no. Topaz books can not be stripped of DRM or converted to another format or read on anything other than a Kindle/iPhone/iPod Touch... so far.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 03:16 PM   #3
fusarium

Bummer.

Is there a Kindle 2 Emulator for PC I can get??

:-p

Seriously though ... what about .amz files? Can I take one of those and strip the DRM to read on my machine?
Old 09-28-2009, 09:27 PM   #4
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
I'm not aware of any Kindle emulators.

You can strip the DRM from .azw files (not .amz). Search the forum and Google for MobiDeDRM. I can't give instruction on how to use it because it is against forum policy and may be illegal.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 05:56 PM   #5
Boxdoc
Boxdoc began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS - 700, Kindle 2
Anytime I get a book in Topaz format, I return them to Amazon for a refund. So far I have gotten my money back every time without a question.
Boxdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 12:45 AM   #6
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxdoc View Post
Anytime I get a book in Topaz format, I return them to Amazon for a refund. So far I have gotten my money back every time without a question.
Do you need a good reason? Or is "Topaz format" good enough for them? Do you return it immediately?
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 02:50 AM   #7
RobbieClarken
Addict
RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxdoc View Post
I believe you can tell in advance by checking whether the ebook file size is listed under the "Product Description". If it isn't mentioned it is in topaz format, if it is mentioned it's mobi.
RobbieClarken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 09:40 AM   #8
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieClarken View Post
I believe you can tell in advance by checking whether the ebook file size is listed under the "Product Description". If it isn't mentioned it is in topaz format, if it is mentioned it's mobi.
That's been the case for books I've checked. You can download the sample and tell that way too.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 10:25 AM   #9
fusarium

But the book isn't available in mobi if it was delivered in topaz, correct? I want to read the book, and will deal with the topaz if I have to.

Could I order the book from another place? In .mobi?
Old 10-16-2009, 11:10 AM   #10
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusarium View Post
But the book isn't available in mobi if it was delivered in topaz, correct? I want to read the book, and will deal with the topaz if I have to.

Could I order the book from another place? In .mobi?
TOPAZ ebooks are created for the Kindle by Amazon on behalf of the publisher. This means that is usually isn't available in any other format at other ebooks sites. I have seen a few TOPAZ titles being replaced by MOBI later on, but if you buy the TOPAZ you don't get the MOBI to replace it (the MOBI is a different ebook in the Kindle catalogue).

A simple way to check is to do a multi-site ebook search, for example AddAll or InkMesh or EBookPrice. This won't distinguish between TOPAZ and AZW for the Kindle, but will tell you if it is available in other formats.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 11:58 AM   #11
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusarium View Post
Hey everyone!

I've tried my hand with mobidedrm and haven't had luck with this problem. I also couldn't find any info searching the forum... hopefully you can help!

I purchased a book today that is a reference book. I am currently on holiday and would love to have my girlfriend be able to read the text book on my PC.

I know my Kindle's PID and everything ... but the file is a tpz ... is it possible to convert it to a readable format?

Please let me know if you have any insight!

Thank you!!
Next time, before you purchase the book, download a sample. Plug in your Kindle, and look at the extension. If it says "azw1" or "azw2" its topaz, and RUN!
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 01:32 PM   #12
tlrowley
Quilt Geek
tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
Next time, before you purchase the book, download a sample. Plug in your Kindle, and look at the extension. If it says "azw1" or "azw2" its topaz, and RUN!
Or, even faster, download the sample to your computer and check there. Topaz files downloaded to the computer will have the extension .tpz.

The capability of downloading samples to the computer is new in the last week or so.
tlrowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 03:24 PM   #13
luqmaninbmore
Da'i
luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Toshiba Thrive, Kobo Touch, Kindle 1, Aluratek Libre, T-Mobile Comet
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
TOPAZ ebooks are created for the Kindle by Amazon on behalf of the publisher. This means that is usually isn't available in any other format at other ebooks sites. I have seen a few TOPAZ titles being replaced by MOBI later on, but if you buy the TOPAZ you don't get the MOBI to replace it (the MOBI is a different ebook in the Kindle catalogue).

A simple way to check is to do a multi-site ebook search, for example AddAll or InkMesh or EBookPrice. This won't distinguish between TOPAZ and AZW for the Kindle, but will tell you if it is available in other formats.
Be aware, though, that some Adobe DRM'd PDFs and Sony Store LRXs are available in the Kindle store as Topaz format books. I've noticed this with some books that contained substantial sections in Arabic; PDF can display them just fine, but the Mobi alternative is to supply these sections as images which doesn't work all that well in practice.

Luqman
luqmaninbmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 07:57 PM   #14
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
Unfortunately that is not true. I bought "Avengers of the New World", a book about the revolution in Haiti. It is also available elsewhere, but on Amazon it it is in Topaz. It was 4 bucks less than on Sony, so I threw caution into the wind and didn't check the sample first.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 11:01 PM   #15
Boxdoc
Boxdoc began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS - 700, Kindle 2
You have 7 days to return the book for any reason to Amazon.
Boxdoc is offline   Reply With Quote