Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-05-2016, 08:46 AM   #1
apastuszak
Evangelist
apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, nook Glowlight Plus, Apple iPad Air 2
How does the Glo HD treat sideloaded books?

I just bought my wife a Nook Glowlight+ to replaced the Nook Glowlight she had before, and I am starting to regret my decision.

I own a Kindle and wife owns a nook. We buy books from both stores and I use Apprentice Alf's tools to convert all our purchased books to both ePub and KF8 format.

Which works great on the Kindle. To the Kindle, all content is the same, sideloaded or purchased and downloaded.

The nook, however, treats sideloaded books like second class citizens. There's not grouped with your other books that are purchased. Instead they're under "My Files." They can't be grouped into shelves. There's some hacks you can do to try and get things to work, but it's annoying.

So, when looking at nook alternatives, I started doing some research into the kobo. My wife does not like the Kindle, so that was not an option.

My big question is, how does the kobo tread sideloaded content? Does it work like the kindle where everything is just a book and you can do whatever you want with it? Or is sideloaded content a second class citizen?
apastuszak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 08:52 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by apastuszak View Post
My big question is, how does the kobo tread sideloaded content? Does it work like the kindle where everything is just a book and you can do whatever you want with it? Or is sideloaded content a second class citizen?
With the Glo HD and Calibre, you can send your eBooks to the Glo HD and Calibre will manage your collections for you and put the eBooks in the proper place. With a Kindle, you have to manually manage the collections.

Also, the Glo HD is compatible with ePub eBooks from Overdrive.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-05-2016, 09:11 AM   #3
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
It treats it like any other book and you can manually make collections for it. I don't use Calibre with mine. I only sideload my books through Dropbox via its browser.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 09:27 AM   #4
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
AFAIK with the current firmware the only things that you can do with a book bought from Kobo that you can't do with sideloaded books are:

* Store the book on Kobo's cloud server.

* Sync the book's reading position, annotations, etc. to your Kobo account.

* Rate/review the book on Kobo's website.

* Get a list of 'related books' to the one you are reading.

* See other ratings/reviews in the book's details pages.

There might be some other minor things I have overlooked, but in other ways sideloaded books are treated the same as books bought and synced from Kobo, provided you are comparing books in the same format (e.g. KePub format books are treated differently to ePub format books, but that applies even if both formats are sideloaded.)
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 09:32 AM   #5
apastuszak
Evangelist
apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.

Can the DRM be removed from kepub files?
Advert
Old 01-05-2016, 09:38 AM   #6
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Can the DRM be removed from kepub files?
Yes, using something called obok. However you don't normally need to do this because you can just download the ePub version and remove DRM in the normal way, and then convert ePub to KePub (if that is what you want, I prefer ePub myself.)
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 11:24 AM   #7
apastuszak
Evangelist

It appears the Glo HD has a lot of pluses going for it over the nook and kindle.
Old 01-05-2016, 11:42 AM   #8
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
I have owned 4 eInk Kindles and was a little leery switching to Kobo but I love mine. The advanced font controls are amazing! The battery life is really good and it's so small and lightweight which was a huge difference to my Kindles.

It also has the cleanest background I have seen on a eReader making it so much better on my eyes.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 02:14 PM   #9
apastuszak
Evangelist

My only hesitation at this point is my Audible account and my occasional use of Whispersync for Voice.

My wife does not like the Kindle at all. The first eReader I ever bought her was the original nook, mostly because it was able to go into a B&N and see it. I hated the idea of buying a Kindle sight unseen. I think her dislike for the Kindle stems from the fact that it's not a nook. She's used to the nook.

But this whole treating sideloaded content as a second class citizen really pisses me off and makes me not want to use a nook ever again.
Old 01-05-2016, 02:45 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
My only hesitation at this point is my Audible account and my occasional use of Whispersync for Voice.

My wife does not like the Kindle at all. The first eReader I ever bought her was the original nook, mostly because it was able to go into a B&N and see it. I hated the idea of buying a Kindle sight unseen. I think her dislike for the Kindle stems from the fact that it's not a nook. She's used to the nook.

But this whole treating sideloaded content as a second class citizen really pisses me off and makes me not want to use a nook ever again.
I do think your wife will like the nook. I have a nook STR and I find it awful. The UI is terrible and the partitioned memory a joke. Plus, the shape is just odd to hold and the buttons are way too stiff.
Old 01-05-2016, 02:47 PM   #11
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Pretty much anything is better than the Nook.
If your wife has an irrational bias against the Kindle, double-check that she doesn't have an irrational bias against the Kobo as well! (Before you buy it!)

The main differences as I understand it, between the Kindle and Kobo, are:

Kindle has amazing ecosystem (Amazon is usually cheaper, has more books if you count indies)
Amazon's customer service, should you need it, wins hands down
Kindle has WhisperSync for personal documents
Kindle has direct integration with OverDrive library books

Kobo has far better typography, if you happen to care in the slightest about that sort of thing
Kobo collections can be managed via calibre without first jailbreaking the device
Kobo can checkout library ebooks even if you don't live in the U.S.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 03:05 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Pretty much anything is better than the Nook.
If your wife has an irrational bias against the Kindle, double-check that she doesn't have an irrational bias against the Kobo as well! (Before you buy it!)

Kindle has amazing ecosystem (Amazon is usually cheaper, has more books if you count indies)

Kobo has far better typography, if you happen to care in the slightest about that sort of thing
Kobo collections can be managed via calibre without first jailbreaking the device
If you know of Apprentice Alf, you can easily buy Amazon eBooks for use with a Kobo. Ecosystem problem solved.

Kobo Glo HD has better battery life & a better screen than the PW3 (according to Blossom).
Old 01-05-2016, 04:06 PM   #13
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
If you know of Apprentice Alf, you can easily buy Amazon eBooks for use with a Kobo. Ecosystem problem solved.
You can. It is a minor hassle. Integrated experiences are superior in the absense of a compelling reason to choose otherwise -- hence I mentioned it. Some people care.

Quote:
Kobo Glo HD has better battery life & a better screen than the PW3 (according to Blossom).
They both have great battery life (>weeks), and you can find however many people you like ready to swear that one or the other is better. I don't believe either side!

I can't testify to the screen, but I am amazingly happy with my Kindle Touch, and I am pretty sure it beats both -- at having an inferior screen.
In fact, I think the Kobo vs. Kindle screen quality arguments tend to be nearly as futile as the battery debates, with much conflict of opinions on both sides.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 06:06 PM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
You can. It is a minor hassle. Integrated experiences are superior in the absense of a compelling reason to choose otherwise -- hence I mentioned it. Some people care.

They both have great battery life (>weeks), and you can find however many people you like ready to swear that one or the other is better. I don't believe either side!

I can't testify to the screen, but I am amazingly happy with my Kindle Touch, and I am pretty sure it beats both -- at having an inferior screen.
In fact, I think the Kobo vs. Kindle screen quality arguments tend to be nearly as futile as the battery debates, with much conflict of opinions on both sides.
I'm only going based on what I read here by someone who's comments I would tend to believe. I have experience with the PW3, but no experience with the Glo HD.
Old 01-05-2016, 09:58 PM   #15
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:

Kobo has the option for a larger screen and waterproofing
Kindle has the option for haptic page turn buttons
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote