Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 02-07-2015, 11:36 AM   #1
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider
BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3g Kindle Keyboard
Anyone an electric car buff? Porsche Panamera or Tesla?

I'm doing some research on cars. Not to buy one, but I need some specific info. I've hunted around the web looking for forums, but haven't found any particularly active ones. It's probably a long shot asking on a book forum...but if any of y'all know of a good car forum that specifically talks or compares electric vehicles (I'm most interested in the Porsche and Tesla models, but I'm flexible. I could be persuaded to look into other models)...could you let me know? I'd like to lurk and maybe ask some questions!
BearMountainBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 03:16 PM   #2
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
I don't know if you have already seen it but Tesla has a blog that might be of interest:
Tesla Blog
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 03:25 PM   #3
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider
BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
I don't know if you have already seen it but Tesla has a blog that might be of interest:
Tesla Blog
I even filled out a form and asked some of my questions in the form on Tesla's site hoping I could get a few basic questions answered. No reply. I was clear I wasn't looking to buy because I didn't want a salesman thinking he was going to get a huge commission from me asking about seat room and audible warnings and such...
Old 02-07-2015, 03:36 PM   #4
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Would the BMW i8 be of any interest? There's a fairly active forum on that here
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 03:51 PM   #5
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo1967 View Post
Would the BMW i8 be of any interest? There's a fairly active forum on that here
I briefly looked at it, but didn't give it any real consideration...I'll check out the forum comments.

I originally was going with the Tesla for the sheer cool factor and I've seen one so that helped. But the coolest looking one is the Roadster, which they don't make right now and one of the things I really need is something that can hold 3 people. I don't think even a small person could squeeze into that Non-backseat area (legally or otherwise).
Old 02-07-2015, 04:00 PM   #6
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider

That forum is nicely active. I'll check it out more. I should be more specific--right now the car I need should be very cool/sleek, also fast, also capable of quiet/stealth (not necessarily at high speeds as most of these are hybrids). In other words, not the Prius or the Honda or the Volt.

The electric aspect is needed for the stealth factor, the speed factor for a short high speed chase, a small backseat of some kind is pretty important as I haven't liked any of the workarounds for using a car without one in the manner needed.

I picked the Porsche secondarily because of all the literal whistle/bell warning tones it supposedly has (drifting in the lanes, objects too close and that sort of thing). These are 'nice to haves" and I'd like to know if they are standard on any of the cars I'm looking at.

The BMW seems quite popular in the UK and that i8 looks like it might have a backseat (whereas the spyder looks more like a roadster.)
Old 02-07-2015, 04:12 PM   #7
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
Although not specifically about electric vehicles, you might try poking around at Jalopnik. They tend to be rabid enthusiasts (in a good way!) and they do cover electric performance vehicles.

http://jalopnik.com/video-teslas-ins...-se-1684308146
cromag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 04:39 PM   #8
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider

Thanks. That one video of the phone staying against the seat is pretty funny. And it has a backseat--bonus for that!
Old 02-07-2015, 06:33 PM   #9
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Sorry I don't root for cars I will never ever afford, not even if I worked day and night for three times my lifespan.

Ok I love the Porsche (not the Panamera but the Carrera GT or better yet, the 918 Spyder) it's very sexy but I don't think about it as that relationship can never work.

Last edited by Quexos; 02-07-2015 at 06:48 PM.
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 06:56 PM   #10
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quexos View Post
Sorry I don't root for cars I will never ever afford, not even if I worked day and night for three times my lifespan.

Ok I love the Porsche (not the Panamera but the Carrera GT or better yet, the 918 Spyder) it's very sexy but I don't think about it as that relationship can never work.
I am not much of a car buff myself, but I do love technology and especially new technology. I could pick a lot of cars, but I'd like to go with something that isn't JUST an expensive car.

The Panamera is a 4-door and was sort of modeled after the 911 (stretched to 4 doors) and probably resembles it most of the Porsche models.

I mentioned my research to a friend of mine and she laughed pretty hard trying to envision me walking into the dealership to do my research--asked if I was planning on wearing my Academy t-shirt (Academy is a store in Texas and well, they aren't really high-end). I told her I'd wear one of my fancier t-shirts for the occasion.
Old 02-16-2015, 04:43 PM   #11
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider

I found this article quite helpful--mainly because of the pictures and the little bits here and there about some of the "warnings' and things it can do. I wish there were more pictures of the dash. I signed up so I can comment and I'll see if anyone on the comment has more pictures or can answer some questions. This Tesla is souped up --it has two engines, but that is kind of perfect for what I need anyway. I like the idea of unique.

The body is ... a letdown. Super ordinary. But it does have a backseat and that is critical for my needs.

http://www.theverge.com/2015/2/9/800...drive#comments
Old 02-16-2015, 06:22 PM   #12
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
The only car forum I visit is the Samba. It is geared towards Volkswagens, but has an "other cars" forum. The people on those pages are incredibly knowledgeable, ready to take on challenges etc. And while the site is indeed geared towards VWs, their interests are wide ranging
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 06:46 PM   #13
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
The only car forum I visit is the Samba. It is geared towards Volkswagens, but has an "other cars" forum. The people on those pages are incredibly knowledgeable, ready to take on challenges etc. And while the site is indeed geared towards VWs, their interests are wide ranging
Thanks. I may have to look around and see what I see...in the past, I've chosen cars that were readily available to look at. None of the electric cars are. I did find some good info on the BMW one someone rec'd, but inside pictures and details aren't as easy to come by!

But I'm toodling about in my spare time. The right car will come along.
Old 02-20-2015, 02:44 PM   #14
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider

Now here's a great looking car. Too bad it's a prototype and in Switzerland. I could probably make the Switzerland part work out, but a prototype may never come to market and will likely change names...and none of the features can be counted on.

http://www.nanoflowcell.com/en/quant#technik
Old 02-20-2015, 04:17 PM   #15
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by BearMountainBooks View Post
Now here's a great looking car. Too bad it's a prototype and in Switzerland. I could probably make the Switzerland part work out, but a prototype may never come to market and will likely change names...and none of the features can be counted on.

http://www.nanoflowcell.com/en/quant#technik
That is a striking looking car. Very nice.
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote