Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 06-27-2013, 03:19 AM   #1
WigglePig
%20ErrorParse$$#0fh%20
WigglePig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WigglePig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WigglePig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WigglePig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WigglePig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WigglePig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WigglePig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WigglePig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WigglePig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WigglePig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WigglePig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KindleKB (fixed battery!) and a new Kobo Glo!
Strip all formatting?

Morning all.

As I'm having some difficulty with the formatting of a couple of epubs I have I would like to work out some method for stripping out all of the formatting as it stands and then applying some basic formatting rules after that.
I use Calibre to manage my books but I also have Sigil installed from an abortive attempt to reformat a malformed book (a whole series of books mashed together in one humongous file - it didn't go well!)
if anyone can offer some help as to how to go about this then I would be very grateful.

Regards

Piggly
WigglePig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 03:51 AM   #2
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Delete all CSS files, all <style> elements in the headers and all "style=..." attributes in other elements.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 05:00 AM   #3
DSpider
Evangelist
DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2 2014
Be careful not to remove any bolds or italics, which quite frankly are the essence - or the soul of a book.

Edit: I know that ABBYY FineReader will set various styles and sizes, when in fact there's just one size (and style) for the body text throughout the entire book!

It also assigns styles for bolds and italics, when in fact it should be using "<em>" and "<strong>" tags.

Edit #2: In order to strip the bad FineReader formatting, I always export from FineReader as RTF, open it in Word 2010 and run my custom macro (from the signature). Then I redo the layout (using styles) in InDesign - or, alternatively in Word using quick styles and then export as HTML.

Last edited by DSpider; 06-27-2013 at 05:21 AM.
DSpider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 05:57 AM   #4
SBT
Fanatic
SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs-t1, tablet, Nook Simple, assorted kindles, iPad
On a few desperate occasions, I've imported the epub xhtml files into a browser and saved it as pure text. Since I am a command line fanatic, I used lynx (lynx -dump file.xhtml > file.txt.
To preserve some of the formatting like italic and bold, I did a search and replace on the xhtml file first (e.g. <em> -> {em})
SBT is offline   Reply With Quote