Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-22-2013, 10:46 PM   #1
bcgirl
Groupie
bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad2-64gb, Sony PRS-T1, KOBO mini
books from Sony Store or Kobo?

Both stores have same prices. Which one do you prefer to purchase your books for your Sony ereader?
bcgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 11:36 PM   #2
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra 2
Kobo when the ebook takes Vouchercodes40.

Also Books on Board when their discounts include the book I want to purchase, where Kobo may not be showing it for me. It does happen.

Also Amazon if it's cheaper than the rest.

Sony I do check, but more often than not it's dearer than the others, and with a paucity of discount vouchers.

Having said that, I use the Sony Reader for PC as my default download program no matter where I buy the Epub from, and for library books.

Straight from Reader for PC into Calibre. I don't need to open ADE at all.

Did you have a particular query about pricing?
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 02:15 AM   #3
bcgirl
Groupie
bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynx-lynx View Post
Kobo when the ebook takes Vouchercodes40.

Also Books on Board when their discounts include the book I want to purchase, where Kobo may not be showing it for me. It does happen.

Also Amazon if it's cheaper than the rest.

Sony I do check, but more often than not it's dearer than the others, and with a paucity of discount vouchers.

Having said that, I use the Sony Reader for PC as my default download program no matter where I buy the Epub from, and for library books.

Straight from Reader for PC into Calibre. I don't need to open ADE at all.

Did you have a particular query about pricing?
I usually buy books from Kobo, on the ereader or on my MacBook. I have only two books purchased from Sony store. I was just wondering where Sony ereader users purchase their books from. And if there is a preference for their choice? I haven't tried Books on Board yet.
Old 01-23-2013, 02:22 AM   #4
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra 2
bc girl I find Books on Board to be very good, and they hold a great volume of titles, including titles that Kobo doesn't show for me.

Here's their latest email:

'Check out tomorrows eBook releases at BooksOnBoard and with promo code janbook you net 1/3 OFF the publishers list price on all discount eligible eBooks and all of our Audio Books; after Promo Code + Rewards Dollars back.

If you haven't seen the new BooksOnBoard App, check it out here: BoB Reader App.'

Re preference of ebooks? I'm not sure that I've noticed a difference in quality between any of the providers. I think that sometimes there may be odd characters or some such in some of the ebooks, but, luckily, that doesn't seem to happen too much to me.
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 05:40 AM   #5
MickiTee
Guru
MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Pocketbook TL3, TL4, TL5
bc girl,

I've got to agree with Lynx-lynx. Books on Board are the best. I pay USD prices in pounds sterling from their UK site and not UK prices which are generally more expensive even with discounts. They also have a Canadian site with prices in Canadian dollars. Give it a go.

I don't like Kobo as you can only buy books one at a time. There's no cart so you can't buy multiple titles in one go and they also don't have a wish list.

As for Sony they're expensive and their selection, in the UK at least, is not very good compared to Books on Board and Kobo.

My advice is to shop around. Don't limit yourself to a single source. I browse through 6 retailers when I'm buying books. You never know when someone might have offers or a sale on.
MickiTee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 02:19 PM   #6
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
If both stores have same price, with no coupons or discounts, then I would buy it from the Sony Store. I guess it is a little loyalty. I do shop around though to get the better price, if one is available.
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 11:43 AM   #7
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Another recommendation for Books on Board. So far it's the only shop that's managed to tempt me away from Amazon.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 11:17 PM   #8
bcgirl
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by l_macd View Post
Another recommendation for Books on Board. So far it's the only shop that's managed to tempt me away from Amazon.
Books on Board is the most expensive online store if you ask me. For example, looking at Twilight (Stephenie Meyer) is $ 19.68 compared to Kobo for $ 8.99
I am from Canada, don't know if that is different. But really the prices of ebooks on BOB is extremely high. Every book I looked up is almost twice as much. Do you really pay that much?
Old 02-26-2013, 04:28 AM   #9
owly
Guru
owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 2, Kobo Aura H2O
It might be a tax thing. If I buy from Kobo they add tax to their original price since I'm in Sweden. Booksonboard or Diesel ebooks don't.
owly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 12:41 PM   #10
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
I think I was perhaps just fortunate that the books I was looking to buy at the time seemed to be a bit cheaper at BooksOnBoard, but they are still a viable alternative for me. Kobo generally seems dearer, but not always. Amazon is still my main choice.

For me in the UK, the Twilight book is £4.99 at Amazon, Kobo & BooksOnBoard.

Some random book prices:
The Honey Queen - Cathy Kelly (£8.99 all 3)
Lost and Found - Tom Winter (£6.23 Kobo, £6.86 Amazon, N/A BoB)
The Hidden Cottage - Erica James (£7.99 all 3)
River of Destiny - Barbara Erskine £3.99 Amazon & BoB, £4.99 Kobo)
The Midwife of Hope River - Patricia Harman (£3.30 Amazon, £4.19 Kobo, N/A BoB)
Gone Girl - Gillian Flynn (£4.99 all 3)
Private Berlin - James Patterson (£7.37 BoB, £8.48 Amazon, £8.99 Kobo)
Life of Pi - Yann Martel (20p Amazon, £3.97 Kobo, £6.14 BoB)
The Blackhouse - Peter May (£2.99 Amazon, £5.46 BoB, £6.47 Kobo)

(FWIW, a couple I couldn't find in the Sony Store, and apart from the Life of Pi which Amazon is pricematching with Sony, one was the same price and the rest were all dearer than Amazon). All fairly similarly price at Google Play also.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 01:02 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcgirl View Post
Books on Board is the most expensive online store if you ask me. For example, looking at Twilight (Stephenie Meyer) is $ 19.68 compared to Kobo for $ 8.99
I am from Canada, don't know if that is different. But really the prices of ebooks on BOB is extremely high. Every book I looked up is almost twice as much. Do you really pay that much?
At BooksOnBoard, I can get The Twilight box set for $38.54. It includes, Twilight, New Moon, Eclipse, Breaking Dawn, and The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner: An Eclipse Novella.

Plus, if I use Google checkout, I get 1% back.

Twilight: $7.37
New Moon: $7.37
Eclipse: $7.37
Breaking Dawn: $8.19
The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner: $6.55

Totaling $36.85 separately (cheaper then the box set)

I don't see the expensive prices that you seem to be seeing at BooksOnBoard.

At Kobo, I see...

Box Set: $46.99
Twilight: $8.99
New Moon: $8.99
Eclipse: $8.99
Breaking Dawn: $9.99
The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner: $7.99

Last edited by JSWolf; 02-26-2013 at 01:06 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 04:27 PM   #12
bcgirl
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
At BooksOnBoard, I can get The Twilight box set for $38.54. It includes, Twilight, New Moon, Eclipse, Breaking Dawn, and The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner: An Eclipse Novella.

Plus, if I use Google checkout, I get 1% back.

Twilight: $7.37
New Moon: $7.37
Eclipse: $7.37
Breaking Dawn: $8.19
The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner: $6.55

Totaling $36.85 separately (cheaper then the box set)

I don't see the expensive prices that you seem to be seeing at BooksOnBoard.

At Kobo, I see...

Box Set: $46.99
Twilight: $8.99
New Moon: $8.99
Eclipse: $8.99
Breaking Dawn: $9.99
The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner: $7.99

Those are amazing prices, yes. Here is what I see:
http://www.booksonboard.com/index.ph...=searchresults
Old 02-26-2013, 04:47 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcgirl View Post
Those are amazing prices, yes. Here is what I see:
http://www.booksonboard.com/index.ph...=searchresults
You will have to post screen shots as you cannot post a search result as it does expire and it only works for you. Also, I may see the prices I listed as it's me doing the looking. As it is, that URL is invalid.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 05:32 PM   #14
Manisphere
Manisphere began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
I buy a lot of books at Diesel. I get discounts from handing in a bunch of $.50 reviews. And there is no tax for the books that can be sold in Canada. Worst search engine in the world though. It's hard to find the books you want at times. The customer service isn't the best either. But with points I get near half off each book I buy there.
I do consider Kobo more helpful though. And Sony never has preorders.
Manisphere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 06:39 PM   #15
bcgirl
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
You will have to post screen shots as you cannot post a search result as it does expire and it only works for you. Also, I may see the prices I listed as it's me doing the looking. As it is, that URL is invalid.
OK let's try this:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2013-02-26 at 3.37.42 PM.png
Views:	345
Size:	336.8 KB
ID:	102069