Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 09-02-2012, 11:41 AM   #1
elMoco
elMoco began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Troubles sending books from Calibre to a Kindle Fire turned into a Android 4.0 tablet

Hi there!

I have a Kindle Fire e-reader and it has been working fine with Calibre for long time. Now I have 'upgraded' the Fire into a custom ROM of Android 4.0, so it is now simply an Android tablet. It works fine and I've installed the Kindle app and it works fine with books downloaded from Amazon shop or books manually saved into 'kindle' folder.

The problem is that Calibre saves the books in 'Documents' folder, and the Kindle app doesn't find them.

I've tried to set the device as an 'Android tablet with kindle reader', but still Calibre detects my device as a 'Kindle Fire', so it avoids the custom configuration I set for the 'Android tablet'.

So, my problem is that Calibre treats the device as it actually is, not as it is currently working. So, is there any way to ask Calibre to save the books to other folder, even detecting the device as a Kindle Fire?

Thanks in advance
elMoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 12:00 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/faq....-connect-to-it
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 12:15 PM   #3
elMoco

Thanks a lot for the answer.

I've configured the 'user defined' plugin and deactivated the 'kindle fire' one, but now Calibre doesn't see my device.

Anyway, I'll keep trying this way. Thanks a lot.

Last edited by elMoco; 09-02-2012 at 12:37 PM.
Old 09-02-2012, 01:29 PM   #4
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
See Calibre Companion Beta: Information, Change Log, and FAQ for an alternative approach that should work with Android 4.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 03:41 PM   #5
elMoco

Hi folks!

I've solved my problem using the 'save to disk' feature. It's not perfect but it works well enough.

Anyway, I think the optimal solution could be if we could tell Calibre that an specific device (not a model but a particular device) should work as a given model. I don't know if there is any kind of id for each reader (such a muc or similar), but if we could do that, it would be great, because we could customize the behavior for any single device, even if you own more than one of same model.

Thanks a lot.

Last edited by elMoco; 09-03-2012 at 03:42 PM. Reason: typo
Old 09-03-2012, 10:35 PM   #6
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by elMoco View Post
Anyway, I think the optimal solution could be if we could tell Calibre that an specific device (not a model but a particular device) should work as a given model.
You can essentially do exactly that by following Kovid's info in post two.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 02:09 AM   #7
elMoco

Thanks for your asnwer, but not exactly the same, or at least I don't know how.

I mean, following the Kovid's info, as I told in post #3, I got Calibre not seeing my device, but I admit that surely I did something wrong and that really works.

But the pint is: what happens if you have more than one device for same brand&model and you want them to work in different ways? My case: my wife's and mine are both Kindle Fire. Hers is an untouched one. Mine is 'upgraded' and now work as and Android 4.0 tablet. But Calibre detects both as the same kind of device.

That's because I was talking of the idea that we could have some sort of BD with a brand/model <-> single device (an item, not a model), so we could control the behavior of every single device.

Anyway, thanks for your answer.
Old 09-04-2012, 02:32 AM   #8
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I mean, following the Kovid's info, as I told in post #3, I got Calibre not seeing my device, but I admit that surely I did something wrong and that really works.
Well you have more experience in attempting to get the device driver working. I skipped right past your attempt.

Quote:
But the pint is: what happens if you have more than one device for same brand&model and you want them to work in different ways?
Currently there is no way to use both of these devices, since they both identify themselves as the same device number.

Quote:
My case: my wife's and mine are both Kindle Fire. Hers is an untouched one. Mine is 'upgraded' and now work as and Android 4.0 tablet. But Calibre detects both as the same kind of device.
How is your Fire upgraded? Is it an Amazon supplied upgrade or did you root the device in some manner?
Old 09-04-2012, 03:02 AM   #9
elMoco

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
How is your Fire upgraded? Is it an Amazon supplied upgrade or did you root the device in some manner?
rooted
Old 09-04-2012, 03:12 AM   #10
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
rooted
You might consider using the portable version of calibre and having your wife use the normal calibre install. You can only use one at a time. This way on the portable install you can turn off the Kindle Fire plugin and use the Connect to Folder feature to connect to your rooted Fire.

Quote:
Connect to folder: Allows you to connect to any folder on your computer as though it were a device and use all the facilities calibre has for devices with that folder. Useful if your device cannot be supported by calibre but is available as a USB disk.
Just a thought, good Luck.