Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-12-2012, 12:46 PM   #31
evergamer
Enthusiast
evergamer began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
Did you flash a main kernel that is the same version as the main mmcblk0p1 image you wrote with "dd" in diags?

Can you boot to main by using MfgTool.

Also, the commands you showed do not include the "rm /mnt/us/ENABLE_DIAGS step.
Yes, I believe I did.

I haven't tried to boot to main using MfgTool.

I did try that command, and got the error described in the guide, so I did what the guide said:

Quote:
NB: rm /mnt/us/ENABLE_DIAGS could give you this error:
rm: can’t remove ‘/mnt/us/ENABLE_DIAGS’: No such file or directory
This happens because you don’t have any ENABLE_DIAGS file in /mnt/us. If so, don't bother and jump to next command (idme -d --bootmode main).
evergamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 12:50 PM   #32
evergamer
Enthusiast

Here's the updated fastboot log:

And the last putty log:

Old 07-12-2012, 12:57 PM   #33
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
The log looks normal. If it did not reboot, try a hard reset (hold power button 30 seconds). Also try booting main from MfgTool. If no good, try erasing the /var/local partition (dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/mmcblk0p3 bs=4K), and then reboot.

It might take awhile to boot up if it is doing an fsck on the main partition. Be sure the battery has a full charge.

But -- be sure there is NO USB cable plugged in while rebooting...

Last edited by geekmaster; 07-12-2012 at 01:03 PM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 12:58 PM   #34
evergamer
Enthusiast

Ok, will try that.

Can I plug it in to the wall while rebooting?
Old 07-12-2012, 01:05 PM   #35
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by evergamer View Post
Ok, will try that.

Can I plug it in to the wall while rebooting?
In my experience, that can interfere too. Let it charge in fastboot mode for awhile if the battery may be low, before booting with no USB cable. It continues to drain the battery while in diags (no sleep mode in diags), so it is good to recharge just before trying anything (like rebooting).
Old 07-12-2012, 01:05 PM   #36
evergamer
Enthusiast

Ok, i'll pop it back in to fastboot and let it sit for a bit.

Thank you so much. *fingers crossed*
Old 07-12-2012, 01:09 PM   #37
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Yup, it won't hard reset if it's plugged to anything. The hard reset actually just disconnects the battery for a short period of time, so it's not doing a thing if the Kindle is plugged to a power source .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 01:11 PM   #38
evergamer
Enthusiast

Quote:
The log looks normal. If it did not reboot, try a hard reset (hold power button 30 seconds). Also try booting main from MfgTool. If no good, try erasing the /var/local partition (dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/mmcblk0p3 bs=4K), and then reboot.
I tried the hard reset, no go.

I tried booting main from MfgTool, no go.

So I tried running the command and I get this:

Is that normal?
Old 07-12-2012, 01:11 PM   #39
evergamer
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Yup, it won't hard reset if it's plugged to anything. The hard reset actually just disconnects the battery for a short period of time, so it's not doing a thing if the Kindle is plugged to a power source .
Ah, thanks for the tip. I tried the hard reset while not plugged in.
Old 07-12-2012, 01:24 PM   #40
evergamer
Enthusiast

Looking at the guide, I don't think the above command worked?

The guide says it should look similar to this:

Quote:
[root@[192_168_15_244] root]# dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/mmcblk0p3 bs=4K count=1K 1024+0 records in 1024+0 records out 4194304 bytes (4.0MB) copied, 0.025542 seconds, 156.6MB/s [root@[192_168_15_244] root]# idme -d --bootmode main Devmode enabled Reading vars from temp storage... ...None found, Copying vars from /proc
And mine just says 'no space left on device'.

Last edited by evergamer; 07-12-2012 at 01:26 PM.
Old 07-12-2012, 01:26 PM   #41
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@evergamer: The purpose of the dd command was to mangle the var partition, in order for it to be recreated properly on the next boot. So you'll probably have to reboot once before actually being able to use it again . (Or just run the init script that creates it, but I don't know which one it is off the top of my head).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 01:28 PM   #42
evergamer
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@evergamer: The purpose of the dd command was to mangle the var partition, in order for it to be recreated properly on the next boot. So you'll probably have to reboot once before actually being able to use it again . (Or just run the init script that creates it, but I don't know which one it is off the top of my head).
Oh ok. I'll try rebooting again and a hard boot, then will look for the script.
Old 07-12-2012, 01:35 PM   #43
geekmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by evergamer View Post
Looking at the guide, I don't think the above command worked?

The guide says it should look similar to this:

And mine just says 'no space left on device'.
The "documented" command also limits it to writing 1K blocks (4MB). The way I showed you always worked for me, but some people had problems zeroing the entire device. It is NORMAL for an "out of space" error to occur when you do not limit the size, because the /dev/zero source is infinite capacity.

If that does not work, try it again with as documented in the guide.

Last edited by geekmaster; 07-12-2012 at 03:49 PM.
Old 07-12-2012, 01:44 PM   #44
evergamer
Enthusiast

Quote:
They "documented" command also limits it to writing 1K blocks (4MB). The way I showed you always worked for me, but some people had problems zeroing the entire device. It is NORMAL for an "out of space" error to occur when you do not limit the size, because the /dev/zero source is infinite capacity.

If that does not work, try it again with as documented in the guide.
Here's the putty result using the documented command:

Quote:
login as: root
root@192.168.15.244's password:
#################################################
# N O T I C E * N O T I C E * N O T I C E #
Rootfs is mounted read-only. Invoke mntroot rw to
switch back to a writable rootfs.
[root@[192_168_15_244] root]# dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/mmcblk0p3 bs=4K count=1K
1024+0 records in
1024+0 records out
4194304 bytes (4.0MB) copied, 0.080287 seconds, 49.8MB/s
[root@[192_168_15_244] root]# rm /mnt/us/ENABLE_DIAGS
rm: can't remove '/mnt/us/ENABLE_DIAGS': No such file or directory
[root@[192_168_15_244] root]# idme -d --bootmode main
Devmode enabled
Reading vars from temp storage...
...None found, Copying vars from /proc
Setting bootmode to main
Writing new vars to temp area
You must reboot before new values will take effect
[root@[192_168_15_244] root]# reboot
It's currently sitting at the Enable USBnet screen, with an amber light. I cannot navigate.

Should I try a hard boot? Or let it sit for a bit?
Old 07-12-2012, 03:14 PM   #45
evergamer
Enthusiast

So I put it back in to fastboot and it's been sitting charging for an hour and a half. I pulled the USB cable, held down the power button for 30 seconds, the light turned off(which was green) and it's still not doing anything. It's still sitting at the Enable USBnet screen, but I cannot navigate through it. Pushing the power button does nothing. I don't even get a light.