Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 11-10-2010, 07:17 PM   #31
Ankh
Guru
Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by stodge View Post
Hmm Ottawa's library site says that Mobipocket downloads are available. Does this mean I can download a .mobi file?
Of course you can. And then you can use mobipocket application on your computer, tablet or (ms windows mobile) phone to read it.

What you can not do, is read DRM protected .mobi files on Kindle (DRM free .mobi files are fine). Slightly, but sufficiently tweaked protection scheme. And vice versa, you can not use mobipocket client on your computer to read DRM protected Kindle files.
Ankh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 07:38 PM   #32
cjottawa
Tempus fugit.
cjottawa has learned how to read e-bookscjottawa has learned how to read e-bookscjottawa has learned how to read e-bookscjottawa has learned how to read e-bookscjottawa has learned how to read e-bookscjottawa has learned how to read e-bookscjottawa has learned how to read e-bookscjottawa has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle Keyboard
Stodge: you're in Ottawa? I missed that on my first read through the thread.

Let me know if you want to see a Kindle in person; I'll crack open the netbook and show you what's involved in transferring files to the Kindle while we're at it.

Ottawa Public Library uses the OverDrive system and loans EPUB, PDF and MOBI file formats, in that order of prevalence. The MOBI files seem to be on the way out in favour of EPUB.

Last edited by cjottawa; 11-10-2010 at 07:44 PM.
cjottawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 08:44 PM   #33
wildstar
Enthusiast
wildstar will become famous soon enoughwildstar will become famous soon enoughwildstar will become famous soon enoughwildstar will become famous soon enoughwildstar will become famous soon enoughwildstar will become famous soon enough

Device: Kobo 1, Kindle 3
Interesting. The Vancouver Public Library is part of a consortium of BC libraries' website that uses ADE for it's ePub books, and Mobipocket for its Mobi books. It only uses Overdrive for audiobooks.

[QUOTE=Ankh;1209623]Unless I am mistaken, all public libraries in Canada use Overdrive for their digital collections. Ottawa Public Library most certainly does.
wildstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 08:45 PM   #34
stodge
Groupie
stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650SC
Let me just clarify two things:

1) Do I need to remove DRM to load Kobo books on a Sony?
2) Is there a Calibre plugin to remove the DRM from Sony/Kobo books?

Questionable subjects I know but given it's all for my own reading and the authors are still being rewarded for their work, valid IMO.
stodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 09:46 PM   #35
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
1) Nope. As long as you download the ePub versions into ADE from the Kobo website, you should be able to load them up just fine onto the Sony.

2) You won't need to do this unless you end up with a Kindle. In which case it may help you to learn some command-line skills should you need to troubleshoot what's available.

Hope this helps.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 09:49 PM   #36
stodge
Groupie
stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650SC
That does help - I'm trying to see if there's a Calibre plugin for removing DRM from epub files so I can convert them to the Kindle format, and obviously get a Kindle.
stodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 10:47 PM   #37
Ankh
Guru
Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildstar View Post
Interesting. The Vancouver Public Library is part of a consortium of BC libraries' website that uses ADE for it's ePub books, and Mobipocket for its Mobi books. It only uses Overdrive for audiobooks.
The way I am interpreting info from Overdrive webpage, Overdrive offers a complete, turnkey, solution for the libraries. Titles offered to libraries, a system for checkout, web portal customization, the works.

This page lists their technology partners, and you will notice that both Adobe and Mobipocket are listed. This short product brief claims support for "One download website for all formats".

The way I understand it, Overdrive (when it comes to ebooks) provides integration for various DRM schemes, and integrates both ADE and mobipocket DRM handling into their product.
Ankh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 10:53 PM   #38
wildstar
Enthusiast
wildstar will become famous soon enoughwildstar will become famous soon enoughwildstar will become famous soon enoughwildstar will become famous soon enoughwildstar will become famous soon enoughwildstar will become famous soon enough

Device: Kobo 1, Kindle 3
OK, I think I understand. The Vancouver library website does say it is "powered by Overdrive". I was thinking that Overdrive was only the client software you download, not an entire website system for the distribution of ebooks.

Last edited by wildstar; 11-10-2010 at 11:08 PM.
wildstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 07:15 PM   #39
P Armstrong
P Armstrong began at the beginning.

Device: kobo
I bought a Kobo (the model with no Internet connection -- which I didn't want anyway). Pre-loaded with a bunch of 19th century books some of which you may want to read. Bought some books -- all worked OK. But now it's starting to fall apart. Have to re-set it frequently, sometimes loses your place, dealing with the computer interface is tiresome big time (every single book you bought has to be re-loaded every time). the "I'm reading" section is tiresome -- you have to go absolutely to the end (think of end notes) to get it off the list. But today, it's gone postal. Latest book bought is simply not there, some kind of BS computer problem I can't be bothered to wrestle with (you all know what it's like when you get incomprehensible messages that require you to shut down your computer and start over again).

SO MY CONCLUSION IS: BUY SOMETHING ELSE!!!!
P Armstrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 05:13 AM   #40
AlexSno
Connoisseur
AlexSno has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.AlexSno has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.AlexSno has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.AlexSno has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by P Armstrong View Post
I bought a Kobo (the model with no Internet connection -- which I didn't want anyway). Pre-loaded with a bunch of 19th century books some of which you may want to read. Bought some books -- all worked OK. But now it's starting to fall apart. Have to re-set it frequently, sometimes loses your place, dealing with the computer interface is tiresome big time (every single book you bought has to be re-loaded every time). the "I'm reading" section is tiresome -- you have to go absolutely to the end (think of end notes) to get it off the list. But today, it's gone postal. Latest book bought is simply not there, some kind of BS computer problem I can't be bothered to wrestle with (you all know what it's like when you get incomprehensible messages that require you to shut down your computer and start over again).

SO MY CONCLUSION IS: BUY SOMETHING ELSE!!!!
Hehe nice solution....
I would go with Kindle.
AlexSno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 10:16 AM   #41
mcrmama
Addict
mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.

Device: Kobo Aura One
I am from Canada (BC) and using a Sony 650. I really love it and don't regret spending the extra for that. I was also considering the kobo and the kindle and was quite torn at the time since I liked the idea of wifi. In the end, I convert most of my books to the font etc. I like so I don't think it makes a lot of difference. I think the touchscreen was definitely the way to go, and gives me access to kobo books, the sony store and other bookstores which I like too.
mcrmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 01:10 PM   #42
dmacmart
Fanatic
dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Glo, Arc, H2O, iPhone, iPad 2, (husband)Touch
P. Armstrong: check the Kobo group for the sticky on how to replace your database (make sure you use the original Kobo and not WiFi instructions if that's what you have). Sounds like something got corrupted and it needs a good house cleaning. Lots of good advice in that group.
dmacmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 03:09 AM   #43
bcgirl
Groupie
bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad2-64gb, Sony PRS-T1, KOBO mini
Following this thread....maybe a weird question but if Sony is not wi-fi, do you download your purchased books through USB to computer?
I was considering to get an iPad but might change my mind to get a dedicated ereader device since iPad had so much more on it that I already have on my iPhone.
So Sony no wi-fi but it is easy and not much more expensive to order a Kindle from Amazon?
bcgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 08:25 AM   #44
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
Hey bcgirl, yes, no wireless means transferring books from computer through a USB cable. I ended up buying a kindle, which was $139 + $9 US. They refunded my $16 customs fee, not sure why, but I was happy about it. The Sonys are more expensive than the Kindle, but if you like the touch-screen, maybe it's worth it to you. I buy most of my books at Kobo/Chapters and convert them, so I rarely use the kindle's wireless option. With the discount coupons that Kobo frequently offers it works out to the lowest price.
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 08:42 AM   #45
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
The Sony 350 is comparable in price to the Kindle but no wifi and a 5 inch screen instead of a 6 inch screen. The Sony 650 is more expensive then the Kindle, no wifi, a 6 inch screen but really hard to find these days. The Sony 950 is about the price of a Kindle DX, has 3G, and is a 7 inch screen.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
canada, kindle, kobo