Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-09-2009, 10:36 AM   #16
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by veysey View Post
Only had a 505 for about a week, and am playing with various books, but I seem to run into this a lot - 5 or 6 times in a week.

I've been using epub almost exclusively.

Observed correlations:
- Large ebooks (For instance, the Webster dictionary posted here in the book forums)
- Some epubs created from web-site source with calibre.

Definitely post if Sony tells you something!

Cheers
Hmm, this book is over 500 pages that I was reading when it happened.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 10:40 AM   #17
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Hmm, this book is over 500 pages that I was reading when it happened.
Not what I'd consider a large book. Hopefully it was just a one off.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-09-2009, 10:49 AM   #18
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Not what I'd consider a large book. Hopefully it was just a one off.
Well one of the bigger ones that I've loaded in the week that I've had it.
Old 09-09-2009, 11:22 AM   #19
SHOECHICK
Addict
SHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheese

Device: Red Sony 505 and Ipad
I've had mine for about 18 months and it's done it once. I'd been reading a PDF for an hour or so and went to switch to an LRF book. It's only ever done it the once.
SHOECHICK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 08:35 AM   #20
wallflower75
Groupie
wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage/iPhone 6 Plus/iPad mini
This is what I got from Sony Support:

Quote:
Thank you for contacting Sony Support.

I'm sorry to hear that the Sony Reader resets by itself. Based on the information provided, I suggest that you follow the steps below to perform a hard reset to troubleshoot the issue:

WARNING: A hard reset will erase all content on the Reader.

1. Ensure the Reader is powered off by checking that the indicator next to the power button is not illuminated.
2. On the back of the Reader, using a pin or paper clip, press the RESET button.
3. Turn on the Reader.
4. While the screen displays Starting up... , simultaneously press and hold down the Mark button and the VOL + button until the Reset All screen is displayed.

NOTE: If Starting up... does not display on the screen, charge the Reader's battery for several hours before attempting the reset process again.
5. Press the 5 button to reset the Reader.
So I've done all that, reloaded books onto my reader, and we'll see how it goes.
wallflower75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-10-2009, 08:54 AM   #21
kennyc

Hmmmm.... Keep us posted! I've only had it happen once so far in my first week of usage.
Old 09-13-2009, 06:14 AM   #22
kennyc

Had the restart happen again but this time it WAS on a specific book -- The Atlantic - downloaded/created by Calibre and at the same place twice. I'm thinking it was some error in the conversion/creation or the images it included.

I just finished reading my first novel on it and only had that one original restart. I have an Astak Pocket Pro on the way, will be interesting to see if it has any peculiarities like this.
Old 09-13-2009, 04:57 PM   #23
petercreasey
Wizard
petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony: PRS 950 & T1, Kobo: Aura One & Forma
I never had the automatic restart happen before and I have read many books.

I just now had it happen twice while reading 10,000 Suspects plus I had my 505 freeze once while reading this same book.

. . . . . Pete
petercreasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 01:42 PM   #24
Angst
Cannon Fodder
Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, Kindle DX, Kindle Paperwhite
When I had this problem, I was using Calibre to compile news sites into .lrf files. When I changed to having Calibre output the files as epub, the problem went away.

The only other thing I can suggest, is reloading the book. The file might have been corrupted during the initial download, or when copying to your reader. Also check that you can read the last page of the book in a file viewer on your pc. If the file is corrupt, you most likely won't be able to skip to the last page without an error.
Angst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 09:40 AM   #25
wallflower75
Groupie
wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage/iPhone 6 Plus/iPad mini
Didn't work. Rebooted while opening the seventh book after the reset. There's no way I'm sending it to Sony for repairs--the next alternative, according to the e-mail I got from them--I may never see it again!
wallflower75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 09:47 AM   #26
PieOPah
Addict
PieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony PRS-505
Must admit that I use my reader on a daily basis and I have never had this happen to me. I also never switch my device off, only snooze it - I can't remember the last time I actually powered the reader down fully!
PieOPah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 04:54 AM   #27
orailean
orailean began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS505
My PRS 505 is crashing in a regular basis when I open the lrf files generated from calibre recipes. It's losing then the history for the other books and that's annoying.
orailean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 07:26 AM   #28
kennyc

Yes that can be very annoying! I was recently trying to convert a DRMd book from ereader format to epub and no matter what I tried it would crash the reader. I ended do a conversion to mobi which seemed to work on my kindle2 and then converted the mobi to epub which finally worked. This whole sequence was a total PITA so my conclusion is to never buy ereader books again.

P.S. the lockup/restart is not limited to Sony either. I had it happen on my Kindle2 and it screwed up my recently read order (cause it lost the current time and re-ordered everything) and I've had my Astak Pocket Pro lock up several times, but it doesn't seem to loose the information when it does.
Old 11-05-2009, 10:14 AM   #29
jj2me
Guru
jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, -350; Kindle 3 3G, DX, PW 2; various tablets
My 505 restarts about once every other reading session.

I always thought it was somewhat my fault, as I have the Reader quite loaded:
- ~600 books, magazines, and PDFs, and
- ~50 large MP3 files,
spread about all memory: main memory, a 1GB SD card, and a 4GB Memory Stick.

I always load via Sony's eBook Library software. I have a lot of Calibre-created and -converted files, and I think I've only seen restarts on Calibre files. I had suspected the problem was with ePub content, and large content, but don't really know.

I especially saw it when loading my homemade Calibre recipe for Sports Illustrated magazine (about 800 Reader pages), where it was consistent in always taking two tries to successfully open the document (the first always crashed). A recent one, which I know was in LRF format, didn't crash.

The way that poor little processor struggles to open my documents, I figured I'd accept an occasional crash in exchange for my overloading the little bugger.
jj2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 11:35 AM   #30
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
It does seem that a common factor is often web-magazine conversions. I suspect it's something along the lines of that type of document exceeding some buffer (e.g. no of links, size allowed for TOC text, etc) in the reader that the developers, thinking of normal books, didn't allow for.

You may get different results if you encode to EPUB rather than LRF, but it's also possible that it might crash on LRF, in which case try EPUB if you've not already done so! :-)
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote