Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-22-2010, 07:38 AM   #1
benjaminsolah
Marxist Horror Writer
benjaminsolah began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader Touch PRS-650
Hard Reset

I was an idiot and pulled my Reader out of my computer without ejecting properly and ever since, the touch screen has been responded really poorly.

I tried a soft reset, but nothing much changed, so I want a try a hard reset. How do you do that?
benjaminsolah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 11:42 AM   #2
slantybard
my parent's oops...
slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Vx->Handera->Clie-> Axim->505->650->KPW/Aura ->iOS/L2
Did you try using a paper clip on the hole on the back of the reader?
slantybard is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-22-2010, 01:00 PM   #3
Lyn2012
Addict
Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, iPhone 8, iPad Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by benjaminsolah View Post
I want a try a hard reset. How do you do that?
I had trouble authorising my 350 for DRM and ended up speaking to Sony this morning. Nobody there knew how to do a hard reset on the new readers! The guy on the other end of the phone said he would escalate the matter.
Lyn2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 03:10 PM   #4
tracyeo
Connoisseur
tracyeo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracyeo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracyeo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracyeo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracyeo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracyeo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracyeo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracyeo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracyeo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracyeo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracyeo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505;PRS-600;Sony PRS-350;Kobo Mini;Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
I was an idiot and pulled my Reader out of my computer without ejecting properly and ever since, the touch screen has been responded really poorly.

I tried a soft reset, but nothing much changed, so I want a try a hard reset. How do you do that?
On the 600 you insert a paper clip in the reset button, then power on the device and when you see the message opening book you hold the page back (<)and volume up(+) buttons simultaneously until you get a screen asking you if you want return the device to factory presets.
tracyeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 06:46 PM   #5
benjaminsolah
Marxist Horror Writer

Thanks tracyeo, that was the thing I was looking for. I'll try that but I fear I might have to take it back to the Sony store today.
Advert
Old 09-22-2010, 07:21 PM   #6
benjaminsolah
Marxist Horror Writer

The screen to reset to factory settings doesn't come up.
Old 09-22-2010, 08:59 PM   #7
benjaminsolah
Marxist Horror Writer

I managed reset the settings and I formatted it. It seems after formatting it, it's working fine again.
Old 09-23-2010, 08:39 AM   #8
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
I managed reset the settings
How did you do it?
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 09:09 AM   #9
benjaminsolah
Marxist Horror Writer

It's in the setting somewhere, says 'back to factory' settings or something.
Old 09-23-2010, 10:36 AM   #10
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
It's in the setting somewhere, says 'back to factory' settings or something.
So basically, you have done it in a soft way, via the reader's OS?
Old 09-23-2010, 07:37 PM   #11
benjaminsolah
Marxist Horror Writer

Yeah, by repeatedly trying to get the touch screen to respond.

But the main thing that fixed my problem, I think, was formatting the Reader. I think when I pulled the USB it corrupted something - or something on there was corrupted anyway.
Old 09-23-2010, 11:28 PM   #12
GhostDreamer
GhostDreamer is at the top of the food chain.GhostDreamer is at the top of the food chain.GhostDreamer is at the top of the food chain.GhostDreamer is at the top of the food chain.GhostDreamer is at the top of the food chain.GhostDreamer is at the top of the food chain.GhostDreamer is at the top of the food chain.GhostDreamer is at the top of the food chain.GhostDreamer is at the top of the food chain.GhostDreamer is at the top of the food chain.GhostDreamer is at the top of the food chain.

Device: PRS 650
To do the hard reset you have to press the reset and then the power switch. When it starts to load, press the back button < and the magnifying/zoom button for the 650. I had to do the hard reset as well because I kept pulling out the usb connector while the drive was still open.
GhostDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 05:42 AM   #13
astra
The Introvert

Quote:
Yeah, by repeatedly trying to get the touch screen to respond.

But the main thing that fixed my problem, I think, was formatting the Reader. I think when I pulled the USB it corrupted something - or something on there was corrupted anyway.
Oh, I see.
How do you format the reader? From inside of the reader's OS or on your PC?

Last edited by astra; 09-24-2010 at 05:45 AM.