Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 08-27-2010, 10:22 AM   #1
Pomtroll
Guru
Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, Sony T1, Kindle Touch, Kindle PW1
Touch Screen Page Turner

How many of you have difficulty getting your Nook touch screen to turn pages? I have never been able to get mine to work & I know other people who can't get it to work for them either. I've tried various ways of swiping the screen & no go. Now the keypad I have no trouble with & can type faster with it than with buttons.
Pomtroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 10:27 AM   #2
reneemitt
reneemitt began at the beginning.

Device: Nook 3g+wifi
I used to have troubles with it too...

I searched on here and found a link to this youtube video that helped me: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Of5Eas6lONM

Generally I start off on the plastic and just fast swipe and it works great. there are other ideas here in this thread: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...ht=swipe+video

For some reason though - watching the youtube video seemed to help me most since I'm a visual learner.
reneemitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-27-2010, 11:57 AM   #3
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pomtroll View Post
How many of you have difficulty getting your Nook touch screen to turn pages? I have never been able to get mine to work & I know other people who can't get it to work for them either. I've tried various ways of swiping the screen & no go. Now the keypad I have no trouble with & can type faster with it than with buttons.
The screen reacts to your skin, not to pressure.
So do not press on the screen, than swiping will not work.
Just swipe along the screen, with no pressure on the screen.
geertm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 12:03 PM   #4
SandyBrooks
SandyBrooks began at the beginning.

Device: Sony pocket
yeah, I can't get mine to work reliably either, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I'll have to check out the youtube video and see if that helps. I really only want to use it when I'm reading and my husband is sleeping 'cause the clicking noise from the button bothers him a bit.
SandyBrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 12:07 PM   #5
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
I don't really have any good hints, but it did take me a while to master the swipe page turn. When I first started trying to do it, I could only get the page to turn when swiping very rarely. I've been practicing for awhile and now it works pretty much every time. Most of the time I actually swipe over the top of the touch screen--where the "n" is--and that seems to work well for me.

dordale
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-27-2010, 12:09 PM   #6
Pomtroll
Guru
Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, Sony T1, Kindle Touch, Kindle PW1
THANK YOU RENEEMITT!!! That video did the trick. I was taught to swipe differently by the staff at B&N & it never worked for me.
Pomtroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 05:55 PM   #7
morari
The Word-Eater
morari began at the beginning.

Device: Nook WiFi
I took a few days before I managed to get my Nook to work via the swipe. It just takes some practice. Try different methods. Once you "get it" you'll be flipping through pages effortlessly.
morari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 06:01 PM   #8
MangaEbooker
Connoisseur
MangaEbooker began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
I understood it right away but I sometimes hit it to hard at first, now I never miss a page turn.
MangaEbooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 11:04 PM   #9
aagstn
Evangelist
aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3, iPad mini 2
I just use the quick thumb swipe method and it works 99% of the time. I rarely use the buttons anymore.
aagstn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 04:34 PM   #10
#77 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Finally got touch screen turning working

I think I've figured the root of this wildly inconsistent problem - I hope this helps others.

The tl;dr version: Your case and the way you hold your nook will affect your ability to swipe flip (among other things).

How did I finally get it to work? I took it out of the cover.

The Whole Story:

Since I bought my Nook about a month ago, I've only accidentally been able to turn the pages (randomly) via the dark touchscreen. I tried every method described in 6-7 different forums, blogs and documents. I tried it dozens of times, but it very literally never worked once. I sat down today and looked at the video of the lady expressing supreme disbelief about how it couldn't work for other people. I tried it "her" way. No, it didn't work.

I have the "Dillane Plaid" case; like many of its design, it has a leather cover and a plastic inner liner/shell/holder.
http://gifts.barnesandnoble.com/Dill...9781615598830/

When I take it out of the case:
- Swiping works very casually, with varying pressures, angles, durations, locations, etc.

If I keep it in the case:
- Actions become less certain, and the swiping action must be a lot more precise
- Swiping with the thumb of the same hand holding the case, it works most of the time IF I use a very light quick touch.
- A heavy dragging motion only works about 1 in 14 times.
- I must swipe somewhere in the middle of the screen
- The finger doing the swiping must be swiping before it comes within about 2mm of the screen.

Why does it behave this way? I don't know, but I suspect it has a lot to do with the capacitive touch screen. Something about the proximity of the plastic of the cover insides interferes just enough with the field of the screen to give it fits.

Oh yes, I forgot this bit: You can only turn pages of a book or magazine - the page flip will not advance to the next page in your My Documents, or My B&N Library, or anything else. Only "e-book" material. I mention this, because I didn't realize this and much of my frustration resulted from trying the swipe flip where the arrow buttons perform the same task.

Last edited by #77; 09-24-2010 at 04:53 PM. Reason: I forgot this bit:
#77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 08:02 AM   #11
AndyfromVA
Zealot
AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook 1E, K3, K4, Paperwhite 2
Mmmm. I have a Dillane Plaid cover and I page swipe almost exclusively. Maybe you're not doing it correctly?
AndyfromVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 10:44 AM   #12
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
yeah I have the chesterton and the way it is held into place is the same as the Dillane and like Anyfrom VA I too almost exclusivley finger swipe. I actually use the side of the holder almost like a launching pad if you will. The way the Nook is secured in the Dillane should have zero impact on page swiping.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 12:33 PM   #13
SeaReader
SeaReader began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire, NookColor, NookClassic, iPad, Droid2
Page swipe works fine for library books in My Documents as well as purchased ebooks in the BN Library. Always use this method of changing pages and keep the LCD screen darkening set at 10 seconds. I did find the swiping to be a bit less certain with a silicon frame on and more accurate without it.
SeaReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 04:48 PM   #14
ManosHandsOfFate
Addict
ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, K3, Fire, Nexus 7
I understand how to get it to work but for me it's not at all intuitive.

I think B&N could have done a much better job with this feature. If such a simple activity as turning pages with a swipe takes more than a minute to learn and takes more than a 2 minutes to begin using consistently then it's a poorly implemented feature.
ManosHandsOfFate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 05:53 AM   #15
:D ominik
Groupie
:D ominik has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.:D ominik has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.:D ominik has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.:D ominik has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: nook
Apart from potentially defective devices, the gestures work just fine for me and the other hundreds of thousands users who aren't claiming about the swiping. If you don't get the swiping to work always (nearly 100%), your nook is defective or there's something totally wrong the way you use it.

1. It's a capacitive touchscreen. This type of touchscreen needs (electroconductive) skin contact to the case for proper operation. Place an iPhone on a table and try to use the touchscreen without contact to the case. Will it work as usual? No.

2. There's an reason B&N called the gesture "swipe". You need to flick. Don't try to drag the page!

3. B&N has done a good job to place strong limits on the range of valid gestures. A capacitive touchscreen is extremely sensitive. Without these strong limits people would claim they get noumerous faulty activations. And of course it would not be possible to hold the nook in the bottom area, placing the thumb on the touchscreen.
:D ominik is offline   Reply With Quote