Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-07-2016, 03:27 AM   #3721
fennectech
Connoisseur
fennectech will become famous soon enoughfennectech will become famous soon enoughfennectech will become famous soon enoughfennectech will become famous soon enoughfennectech will become famous soon enoughfennectech will become famous soon enoughfennectech will become famous soon enough

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Kobo Clara E2, Kindle 4 Keyboard 3G
After using usbnetworks kual extension to uninstall my kindle nolonger boots I get a bar along the top of the kindle display that just freezes a third of the way through ive tried using kubrick to factory reset it and ive tried using kubrick to factory reset and format the internal and usb storages however the result is the same anyone else seen this happen?

EDIT
i sorted it out scratched disk botched the kubrick process

Last edited by fennectech; 09-08-2016 at 02:37 AM.
fennectech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 02:16 PM   #3722
Zbigniev Hamson
Zbigniev Hamson began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 (Keyboard) WiFi
I have a question about the "random" feature of the screensaver hack (for the Kindle 3/Keyboard WiFi). As in... how exactly is it supposed to work?

I was sure I had this working in the past, but I've had only 1 screensaver image for over a year and have only just tried to put a few more images in again and can't really seem to get it working, but.... maybe it's working as it is supposed to.

So my memory was that this would randomise the images every time the device was put to sleep and woken up again - i.e. just a quick flick of the switch. However, now I'm seeing that it only randomises the images on doing a full reset (as in Home > Menu > Settings > Menu > Reset). Is this expected behaviour?

Probably related to this, I am a bit unclear as to what the "autoreboot" file actually does. I know that I can copy this and rename the copy to "reboot" and this will make my Kindle do a full reset after ejecting it (although, confusingly, the readme calls this process... autoreboot?!), but I don't get what the autoreboot file on its own is for, or why I should remove this if I want to use the "cover" feature.

Incidentally, I have only used the cover feature for the first time today (I was still on version 0.29 of the ss hack until today) and I have to say I think it's great! This is actually the very behaviour I always wanted to Kindle to exhibit on sleeping right back when I first got it and was what got me looking for hacks in the first place, so I'm really happy to discover this is now possible (and has been for a while to be fair) and I think I might just stick with this mode now anyway
Zbigniev Hamson is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-01-2017, 08:29 PM   #3723
Nenagh
Nenagh began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle B005
I can't get past the jailbreaking stage.

I have a B005 (dxi). I have placed the "Update_jailbreak0.13.N_dxi_install.bin" file into the root directory of my kindle, and the "Update Your Kindle" is always greyed out. I'm pretty damn sure I am using the correct file for my kindle. I've even tried the other dx files to no avail.

Any advice?

(Excuse me if this has been posted and resolved before, but 200 odd pages is quite a bit to trawl through!)

Thanks
Nenagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 08:37 PM   #3724
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nenagh View Post
I can't get past the jailbreaking stage.

I have a B005 (dxi). I have placed the "Update_jailbreak0.13.N_dxi_install.bin" file into the root directory of my kindle, and the "Update Your Kindle" is always greyed out. I'm pretty damn sure I am using the correct file for my kindle. I've even tried the other dx files to no avail.

Any advice?

(Excuse me if this has been posted and resolved before, but 200 odd pages is quite a bit to trawl through!)

Thanks
What firmware version is the device running?

With that information on hand, return to first post of this thread, Section: Install, Sub-Section: Jailbreak, open spoiler and follow those directions.

Report back your results.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 09:38 AM   #3725
Nenagh
Nenagh began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle B005
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
What firmware version is the device running?

With that information on hand, return to first post of this thread, Section: Install, Sub-Section: Jailbreak, open spoiler and follow those directions.

Report back your results.
I've got Kindle 4.1.3 (2692310002)

I used the 'k4' file this time and it worked!

Thanks for dealing with me and pointing me in the right direction!
Nenagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-03-2017, 10:02 AM   #3726
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Your welcome.

It is good to ask about these things that have been around for years, we probably already have an answer on hand.

(and nobody in their right mind is going to read 4,000 posts to find it)
Old 02-17-2017, 12:52 PM   #3727
JSDFW
JSDFW began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I've got a KV which I jailbroke and equipped with the Screensaver hack. My custom screensavers worked just fine for several months, until Amazon pushed an update to the device. Now the Screensaver hack doesn't work and I've got the original factory screensaver images (even though I deleted them when installing the hack and gave my custom images the same names). In going through the directories, I can't see that anything has changed (nor can I find the factory screensaver image files).

Any thoughts on what I can do (preferably easily, since I'm no tech whiz) to get the custom screensavers back up and running?
JSDFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 01:22 PM   #3728
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSDFW View Post
I've got a KV which I jailbroke and equipped with the Screensaver hack. My custom screensavers worked just fine for several months, until Amazon pushed an update to the device. Now the Screensaver hack doesn't work and I've got the original factory screensaver images (even though I deleted them when installing the hack and gave my custom images the same names). In going through the directories, I can't see that anything has changed (nor can I find the factory screensaver image files).

Any thoughts on what I can do (preferably easily, since I'm no tech whiz) to get the custom screensavers back up and running?
Normal and Expected.
Only the JB (and supporting files) are bridged across Amazon updates.

The general rule is:
Re-install anything else that appears broke.

Note:
MrPI is a batch processor -
Put all of our update_*.bin files you are using in /mrpackages, trigger MrPI, it will install everything in one go.
Old 02-24-2017, 08:06 PM   #3729
PGrace
PGrace began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle K2, DX, DXG
Hello, I hope you can help.
I am trying to install the Screensaver hack, but only get the default files.

Kindle 2. B002A Serial number. I just got it as a gift, it was 2.5.6.

1. I downloaded 2.5.8 (latest) firmware for this model, Installed no issues.
2. Downloaded and installed the "Service update" as instructed, no issues.
3. Returned to factory settings, and registered it under my account, no issues.
I now have a B002A kindle2 with 2.5.8 installed.
I then installed two updates, each time ejecting, unplugging, menu updated...
4. Installed update_jailbreak_0.13.N_k2_install.bin, it errors "U006", but that's OK.
5. Installed update_ss_0.9.N_k2_install.bin, "Successfully"

All I get is the default SS, it does not build the linkss/screensavers directories, nor the SS file, and of course does not see any files I add if I build the directories.

Am I missing something?

**EDIT Sorry, I was using an old SS hack file. Updated to v0.47, and all is good.

Last edited by PGrace; 02-24-2017 at 08:18 PM. Reason: more details
PGrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 07:09 PM   #3730
Trigun
Connoisseur
Trigun began at the beginning.

Device: kindle pw3
i think something is not working with my kindle...
i installed the usbnetworks changed the stuff with linux and after that ssh on wifi was working fine...
didn't used the ssh for ~1 month~ and now i always get connection refused...
every time i need to reconfigure all with linux?
(don't think i got a kindle update)
Trigun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 07:50 PM   #3731
knc1
Going Viral

If you are writing about your PW-2 - -
Wrong thread, and wrong packages for your device.

Not used for a month?
Yes, your PW-2 has been updated, probably twice.
Post what firmware version is shown now in its 'Device Info' panel.

Re-install everything that does not seem to be working correctly (and get your USBnetworking package from the proper thread or the proper section of NiLuJe's snapshots thread).
Old 03-08-2017, 08:24 PM   #3732
Trigun
Connoisseur
Trigun began at the beginning.

Device: kindle pw3
oh right fail 3d :-D
Trigun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 10:39 AM   #3733
dontcarewho007
dontcarewho007 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 2i
anybody say me how to overcome bricked kindle 2i
#helps_ll_b_appreciated
dontcarewho007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 11:37 AM   #3734
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontcarewho007 View Post
anybody say me how to overcome bricked kindle 2i
#helps_ll_b_appreciated
Wrong thread.
Start your own thread for a new topic, do not hijack the topmost one on the index.
(Your new post will automatically make your new thread the topmost one.)
Old 03-29-2017, 09:50 AM   #3735
Suffolk Punch
Connoisseur
Suffolk Punch can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Suffolk Punch can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Suffolk Punch can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Suffolk Punch can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Suffolk Punch can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Suffolk Punch can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Suffolk Punch can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Suffolk Punch can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Suffolk Punch can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Suffolk Punch can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Suffolk Punch can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS T1, Kindle 4 NT, Kobo Touch, Kobo Clara HD
Jailbreak + font hack for K5 NT?

Have just bought a Kindle 5 Non Touch (s/w version 4.1.3). It's serial number starts 9023...
It only has one (unnamed) font and I would like to add more.

Has anyone else successfully applied the jailbreak and font hacks covered in this thread to a Kindle 5 running F/W 4.1.3?

If so which versions of the two hacks worked for you?

Also, after applying the hacks, where do the extra fonts show up? In Menu > Change font size? Or somewhere else?
Suffolk Punch is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fonts, fw3, hack, jailbreak 3.1, niluje's hacks, screensavers, usbnet