Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 11-04-2008, 10:02 AM   #1
Maggy
Maggy began at the beginning.

Device: iliad 1
Am I the only noob with this MAC problem?

I searched this forum but can not find the answer.
I registered to Irex, then pulled the network cable from my desktop computer, plugged it into Iliad, received the update, then connected the network cable to computer again and Iliad to USB. Logged into Irex op computer where it asks to select MAC address, but the list remains empty.
Is it anyhow possible to unlock my Iliad through USB? My modem has only one network cable, my computer has no Wifi.
regards
Maggy
Maggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 11:07 AM   #2
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggy View Post
I searched this forum but can not find the answer.
I registered to Irex, then pulled the network cable from my desktop computer, plugged it into Iliad, received the update, then connected the network cable to computer again and Iliad to USB. Logged into Irex op computer where it asks to select MAC address, but the list remains empty.
Is it anyhow possible to unlock my Iliad through USB? My modem has only one network cable, my computer has no Wifi.
regards
Maggy
You need to connect to IDS with the account information you registered with iRex filled out on the iLiad settings page. That's how they know what account to link your MAC address with. It's possible to connect to IDS without any account information configured, but you basically login as a "guest" user. That's probably what happened when you received the update.

Fill out your email/password for your MyiRex account on your iLiad and connect to IDS again. The MAC should show up in the list after that.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-07-2008, 03:30 AM   #3
Maggy

I connected Iliad to IDS with email address and password through ethernet cable connected to wired ADSL modem to get latest updates. (BTW it only received manuals in languages that I didn't need, software was already 2.12).

To make this connection I had to pull that cable from the back of my computer. To be able to browse to the IRex login page where it should list my MAC address, my computer has to be connected, right? So I had to pull the ethernet cable from Iliad travel box and plug it into computer.

I have only one ethernet cable, the computer has only one hole to plug that in, the ADSL modem has only one hole for it, so that leaves the ethernet hole in the Iliad travel box empty.

There is only wired, not wireless, so the only other way to connect Iliad is through USB. But as far as I've been able to discover that's not enough to make Irex recognise my MAC address. Unless there is someone here who understands the problem who could tell me how to convince Windows that my Iliad USB connection is a network connection.
Old 11-07-2008, 05:29 AM   #4
DigiDirk
Connoisseur
DigiDirk doesn't litterDigiDirk doesn't litter

Device: iLiad
No way (the USB connection is for transferring files , it's not a network connection).

To connect your iLiad and your computer simultaneous to the internet
you have to use a router.

I suppose you have got the book edition without WIFI?
If so a router with integrated WIFI would be useless also.

Your "software update" was downloaded via the guest account at iRex,
to recognize your mac address you have to enter your account credentials
on the corresponding settings page of your iLiad and connect to IDS again
(using your travel hub).

HTH

Dirk
DigiDirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 03:37 AM   #5
Maggy

No, the Iliad is not the book edition, it does have Wifi. But the computer and ADSL modem both do not have Wifi. The software update was not downloaded with guest account.

I'm sorry to say that I find this conversation a bit annoying. IMHO I clearly described the problem in my first post, then again in the second post.

I DO HAVE WIFI in the Iliad
I DO NOT have Wifi in computer or router
I DO KNOW the Iliad's MAC address
My email address and password are in the Iliad settings
And they are registered at IDS
I want to install additional software
So I have to unlock the Iliad
I do know the address of the web page to do that
But that does not allow typing in a mac address manually, it wants me to select a mac address from a list... that's empty... unless I would have an Ethernet or Wifi connection between my Iliad and my computer... which I do not have... so I guess I'll have to buy or borrow additional hardware for this one time event.

It would be nice however if some wizkid could figure out a way to unlock Iliad's by any other means than through the Iliad website. IMHO it can't be very spectacular, just some bits and bytes... People unlock cellphones, put Linux on Windows CE PDA's and so on all the time. Why would this be any different? If Irex would go bankrupt I guess there would be several programmers publishing their unlock solutions in no time.
Advert
Old 11-14-2008, 07:50 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Maggy,

All you need is an additional ethernet cable. That's a very inexpensive thing to buy. Simply connect the travel hub to your router via the new cable and all will be well.

The MAC address of your iLiad won't appear on the web site until you've successfully done an IDS connection with the iLiad.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 09:46 AM   #7
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
My modem has only one network cable, my computer has no Wifi.
You don't need WiFi, but I think you need a router because you now have two computers (PC and iLiad). I suggest you look for a "Cable/DSL Router" with 3 or 4 ethernet ports. You may be able to get a 4-port router with WiFi for not much more than the non-WiFi version, but either will work. The Cable/DSL Router connects to your modem, and both your PC and the iLiad connects to the router. You may pay more for a router advertised as for "Cable/DSL" (or not), but it should then be easier to configure with a modem than a standard "workgroup" router.

The other possibility is to find a friend with a router and use their router to download the IDS stuff. You only need this once in a blue moon.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 12:52 PM   #8
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
The software update was not downloaded with guest account.
How do you know?

Quote:
But that does not allow typing in a mac address manually, it wants me to select a mac address from a list... that's empty... unless I would have an Ethernet or Wifi connection between my Iliad and my computer... which I do not have... so I guess I'll have to buy or borrow additional hardware for this one time event.
I'm not sure why you think that you need your iLiad and computer connected at the same time in order to have the MAC address appear in the list. It doesn't work that way.

Step 1:
Unhook your PC from the modem, and hook up your iLiad. Press the upper right button on the iLiad and have it connect to IDS, making sure that your MyiRex username/password are configured correctly on the iLiad. This will register your iLiad's address with your MyiRex account.

Step 2:
Now unhook your iLiad from the modem and hook up your PC. Go to the web page for requesting developer access and your iLiad's MAC address should be in the list. If it's not, then IDS did not correctly register your iLiads MAC address with your MyiRex account in the previous step (and any software you previously downloaded was done as a guest account).

Step 3:
If your MAC was in the list in Step 2 and you requested the package, then unhook your PC and hook up your iLiad. Connect to IDS again and it should download/install the developer package (unlocking the iLiad).

If you're sure your username/password are right and connecting to IDS does not register your MAC address, then you'll need to contact iRex and have them register the MAC address for you. Buying extra cables/hardware in order to connect both the iLiad and PC at the same time will do nothing to fix your problem.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote