Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-15-2013, 11:42 AM   #1
africalass
Connoisseur
africalass began at the beginning.

Location: Various - sometimes UK, sometimes South Africa, sometimes other countries in Europe / Africa
Device: Windows Laptop; Kindle Keyboard; Hudl2 (Android), iPhone
Cheap ereader with audio support

Hi!

Have just started looking for a new ereader and a little overwhelmed by the choice. If someone can advise that would be fantastic - if not, no problem I'll do some more googling!

I'm just wanting a basic ereader for my young daughter - main purpose to have books available even when we travel round the world, which we do pretty regularly. I was just going to get her the basic Kindle at £69 (particularly as I have the Kindle Keyboard and have always been reasonably happy with that - other than browsing for books). However, I noticed there is no longer audio on it - and the secondary purpose is to be able to play audiobooks (eg from LibriVox) and classical music for her other studies.

Are there any inexpensive ereaders with good audio? I don't mind what kind of navigation it uses (button / touchscreen), I don't mind book format - though would prefer one that reads mobis to save converting all the book I have (though I can do this okay), it doesn't need to have its own light, standard battery life and storage. Don't mind about brand or anything - so long as it's compatible with Calibre and won't fall apart the first time I look at it.

Any advice appreciated.
Thx
africalass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 12:49 PM   #2
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
The Kindle Keyboard would be your best bet. Not the cheapest ereader, but still reasonable, for what all it does.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-15-2013, 01:38 PM   #3
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I agree. And a KK 3G model, perhaps a used one, would give her enough free web access to look up interesting stuff about the countries you might be visiting.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 06:04 PM   #4
africalass
Connoisseur

Location: Various - sometimes UK, sometimes South Africa, sometimes other countries in Europe / Africa
Thanks so much for that! I was coming to the same conclusion. They don't seem to sell them at Amazon anymore so I'll have to look on Ebay. If I don't succeed, is there any other option people would suggest?

thx!
Old 01-15-2013, 06:31 PM   #5
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
Amazon still sells the Kindle Keyboard. Go to the Kindle page of any of the newer models, and there is a link to the KK page.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-15-2013, 06:48 PM   #6
africalass
Connoisseur

Thanks - that might just be abroad then - I've been getting the 'unavailable' message whenever I go to look: http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B002LVUWFE/

It may still work out on Ebay though, so thanks!
Old 01-16-2013, 01:52 AM   #7
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
Quote:
Originally Posted by africalass View Post
TIf I don't succeed, is there any other option people would suggest?
If it is still available in the UK (but you should get a good price via ebay too) a Cybook Opus as the reader and additionally a dedicated mp3 player.
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:02 PM   #8
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Quote:
Originally Posted by africalass View Post
Thanks so much for that! I was coming to the same conclusion. They don't seem to sell them at Amazon anymore so I'll have to look on Ebay. If I don't succeed, is there any other option people would suggest?

thx!
Some would argue a better option would be the Kindle Touch as it still has audio, and if you are in the UK you can get a refurbished Touch from Amazon via their warehouse deals for £64.99.

Click on this link to see the Kindle Touch on Amazon and then follow the link on the right of the page under more buying options.

I have a refurbished Kindle Keyboard from Amazon for well over a year and its been just fine.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
audio, ereader