Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-04-2013, 01:56 PM   #466
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Larger? I shrank it by 5%. I thought it was too wide.
Oh, I was looking at an enlargement of your screenshot and now I've actually compared the two -- makes sense now. I only wish I had the extra weight that you have -- then I'd be happy.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 02:05 PM   #467
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
Oh, I was looking at an enlargement of your screenshot and now I've actually compared the two -- makes sense now. I only wish I had the extra weight that you have -- then I'd be happy.
Me too. I actually quite like the Palatino font, but it's a bit too thin.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-04-2013, 02:15 PM   #468
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklemotion View Post
Me too. I actually quite like the Palatino font, but it's a bit too thin.
What you are looking for is Palatino Medium. If you can't modified it I do believe the font already exists so check your PC and the fonts you own.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 02:19 PM   #469
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
What you are looking for is Palatino Medium. If you can't modified it I do believe the font already exists so check your PC and the fonts you own.
Hmm interesting! Thank you! I'll go have a look around for it.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 02:28 PM   #470
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thanks, Blossom. I'll check what is already loaded on my system since I have no purchased fonts.
Advert
Old 02-04-2013, 02:42 PM   #471
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
If you own some Adobe stuff such as Photoshop or InDesign, then you'll already have the Adobe versions of old standby's such as Caslon, Minion Pro, and Garamond Pro.

Also download and install FontCreator 6.5. You can trial-use it for 30 days which is enough to adjust some fonts (but definitely not enough to design your own).
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 07:04 PM   #472
Skydog
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
If you own some Adobe stuff such as Photoshop or InDesign, then you'll already have the Adobe versions of old standby's such as Caslon, Minion Pro, and Garamond Pro.

Also download and install FontCreator 6.5. You can trial-use it for 30 days which is enough to adjust some fonts (but definitely not enough to design your own).
Thanks, Katsunami. I do indeed use Photoshop and some other Adobe apps that I will check upon my return. You've also helped to whet my appetite to try out FontCreator for the trial period.
Old 02-04-2013, 07:33 PM   #473
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hm. I just see that you can't actually save using the evaluation version.

I just assumed that this was possible. Assumption is the mother of all.... ******. As with most of my software, I got it through an educational account to which I still occasionally have access because of doing courses and short studies; I didn't try the evaluation version up to now. I must check if the program is still allowed to be used after my current course ends. (Luckily, that was the case with Photoshop, so I jumped at the chance to get it, together with Lightroom, 1,5 years ago.)

Sorry to raise your expectations a bit too much

Last edited by Katsunami; 02-04-2013 at 07:42 PM.
Old 02-04-2013, 07:57 PM   #474
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I'm looking for beta testers for my Charis SIL Larger fonts. I still have to fix up the compact, but should be ready with it maybe Tuesday or Wednesday, I'll take the first three to respond as beta testers. The only stipulation is that you have a Kindle Touch or a Kindle PW.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 08:24 PM   #475
Skydog
Wizard

Quote:
Hm. I just see that you can't actually save using the evaluation version.

I just assumed that this was possible. Assumption is the mother of all.... ******. As with most of my software, I got it through an educational account to which I still occasionally have access because of doing courses and short studies; I didn't try the evaluation version up to now. I must check if the program is still allowed to be used after my current course ends. (Luckily, that was the case with Photoshop, so I jumped at the chance to get it, together with Lightroom, 1,5 years ago.)

Sorry to raise your expectations a bit too much
Well, bummer. Thank you for the heads-up. I've still got my Adobe programs to sift through, so not all is lost.
Old 02-04-2013, 08:27 PM   #476
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer

I'll test the compact version, if you'd like. Not interested in the normal version; sorry
Old 02-04-2013, 10:47 PM   #477
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
I'll test the compact version, if you'd like. Not interested in the normal version; sorry
It's not the normal version. It's the modified version. It also has less of a line space, but not as less as the Compact version.

Please, I need testers to compare both. I want to know what others think of both of them in both Mobi & KF8.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 01:21 AM   #478
xtine
Addict
xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
I can test it for you, JSWolf.
xtine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 01:34 AM   #479
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
It's not the normal version. It's the modified version. It also has less of a line space, but not as less as the Compact version.

Please, I need testers to compare both. I want to know what others think of both of them in both Mobi & KF8.
Why are you developing for the Kindle anyway? I still have a version of Charis from your first (?) time you posted it on my PW. Got rid of the compact and smallcaps version. It looks ok, line-spacing and all. The weight is a bit heavier than Baskerville, but they look almost the same. Gentium Book Basic (the Gentium that Blossom made a bit fatter) and Gentium Book (that was already fat) both are a bit heavier than Charis.

If I ever grow tired of the font I am using (Seagram), I will go to something simple like MT Chinese Surrogate for san-serif, or Gentium Book Basic for serif. The only regret I have for Seagram is the lack of bold. Maybe I find another good calligraphy font that I can drop in for bold. (Most I seen lack symbols and letters - even German calligraphy ones that don't even have umlaut characters )
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 01:49 AM   #480
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
Why are you developing for the Kindle anyway? I still have a version of Charis from your first (?) time you posted it on my PW. Got rid of the compact and smallcaps version. It looks ok, line-spacing and all. The weight is a bit heavier than Baskerville, but they look almost the same. Gentium Book Basic (the Gentium that Blossom made a bit fatter) and Gentium Book (that was already fat) both are a bit heavier than Charis.

If I ever grow tired of the font I am using (Seagram), I will go to something simple like MT Chinese Surrogate for san-serif, or Gentium Book Basic for serif. The only regret I have for Seagram is the lack of bold. Maybe I find another good calligraphy font that I can drop in for bold. (Most I seen lack symbols and letters - even German calligraphy ones that don't even have umlaut characters )
He enlarged the font to make it bigger like I did the one version Gentium Book Basic. I go back between Charis and Gentium Book and now Palatino for Historical Fiction reading. I use my own version of Charis which is heavier than his which I also offer through PM.

Why enlarge a font? It makes smaller sizes look more readable. This is the only work around without jailbreaking your PW to find a decent font size. I like Charis at the size it is but for some who read at size 2 they may like the larger version better.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote