Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 09-24-2013, 09:11 AM   #106
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Thank you, Hitch, for the kind words.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 09:14 AM   #107
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

After traversing the infinitude of space, traveling unerringly along the streams of time from far Betelgeuse, the little spacecraft landed with an audible plop in Sparky’s favorite dog bowl.

Dr. Drib
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sparky.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	6.4 KB
ID:	112039   Click image for larger version

Name:	sparyk2.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	5.9 KB
ID:	112040   Click image for larger version

Name:	sparky3.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	21.0 KB
ID:	112043  

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 09-24-2013 at 11:48 AM.
Old 09-28-2013, 10:08 AM   #108
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

I must tell you at the outset that this is an extremely boring book, otherwise I would have written more than the 582 pages on my weekly habit of arising in the morning to put on my clothes, working always from top to bottom as it were, with my arms stretched high in the air as I slip on my T-shirt, followed by the inevitable hopping motions as I surrender my legs to my underwear, and thence the donning of my socks – first the left foot and then the right foot, although I will sometimes vary the activity by putting a sock on my right foot first and then the other sock on my left foot - and culminating (as it were) with my shoes, which always must go on the correct foot unless, of course, I have had too much to drink the night before.

Dr. Drib

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 09-28-2013 at 10:15 AM.
Old 09-28-2013, 01:19 PM   #109
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
After traversing the infinitude of space, traveling unerringly along the streams of time from far Betelgeuse, the little spacecraft landed with an audible plop in Sparky’s favorite dog bowl.

Dr. Drib
Sounds a bit Douglas Adams-ish.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 11:42 PM   #110
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
It was Sebald's misfortune to be reborn as a human hand that dreamed of becoming a Japanese pictoglyph, so that all of its hours away from its grueling handjob at the Cuticle Refinery were spent practicing a kind of flesh origami in which it contorted its digits into impossible renderings of the character for mizu (itself suggestive of the flow of motion that might allow Sebald-hand-san to realize its ideal of metalinguistic transformation), so that it could be seen executing handstands and various difficult poses foppishly in front of the beige fingerfountain, imagining the tickle of innumerable gazes over its brushed-ink finger pad whorls while striking signifying attitudes, until it attracted the questionable attentions of IMPOLITE ALL-CAP IMPERSONATORS and fled in humiliation, its slinking retreat leading to reveries of commingling with entire volumes of calligraphy, where it could at last stroke the curls and cusps of Hiragana while envisioning a more tolerant world, in which thoughtful extremities like itself might apply careful fingerings as easily to other letters as to older lutenists, and were allowed to wear their kanji diagrams proudly, just as Sebald-san's Guidonian handmaiden friends donned their various Uts and As in the tinted windows of Amsterdam, where furtive paragraphs paid -- not handsomely but handily nonetheless -- as much for the handmaidens' inner euphony as for their outer adherence to an ideal as impossible as it would be to retain the image before an orgasm (or is that origami chasm?) as eternally as a letter is pronounced and a hand is lent (especially at Lent).

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 09-30-2013 at 12:21 AM.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 12:36 AM   #111
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Then came the day when I was thrust groin-first into the muzzle of God's shotgun and commanded to emerge in time to reload His smokin' gatling bandana, only the Devil had other ideas and came at me in her feathered pince-nez whispering that she might enjoy watching me fondle my own thoughts, whereupon I screamed "I am!," Carlyle-style and went all Everlasting Yea on her assonance, and after she dumped me off at a bus stop in Atlantis City, the Heavens Twins tried to pick me up on a lurid street corner, but I told them I had things to go and places to do, and that the Mesopotamian mountains were four of them, which made everyone bugger off except the fogger I used to delouse my favorite anagrams, whereupon my heart stopped beating and started dancing the Fandagobi to rude Jacobean throat waltzes, forcing the less permissive elements of afterlife society to lay down the lawn of stars over which I sashayed like a flute without frisson.

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 09-30-2013 at 12:40 AM.
Old 09-30-2013, 12:51 AM   #112
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue

Yesterday, I answered an ad that asked if I wanted "to become a fat burner"; today, I can't stop incinerating people.
Old 09-30-2013, 08:52 AM   #113
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleshuffle View Post
She had a face that could stop a clog, which helped her to an illustrious career in some obscure Dutch sport.

My inspiration for doubleshuffle's sentence:

She had a face that could clog a drainpipe, so I brought along my tools.

Dr. Drib.
Old 09-30-2013, 11:02 AM   #114
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
She unclogged my drainpipe; the outpouring of sludge cleared the pipe and cleared my mind, and I knew I had to marry this woman.

gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 05:11 PM   #115
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prestidigitweeze View Post
Yesterday, I answered an ad that asked if I wanted "to become a fat burner"; today, I can't stop incinerating people.
MWAHAHAHAHAHA.

Thanks for that, Prestidigitweeze, I really needed that today.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 08:09 PM   #116
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
"It's so boring, that it could pass as a modern novel." - tought the PI while leafing trough the victims diary.
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 01:27 AM   #117
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
MWAHAHAHAHAHA.

Thanks for that, Prestidigitweeze, I really needed that today.

Hitch
Any time, Hitch, and thanks for being so supportive!

Speaking of incineration, I once visited a house rented by several members of the Gypsy Jokers in which a hirsute biker held out his cigar and demanded a light. Another biker produced a blowtorch; beard singeing and guffaws ensued.

I stood on the sidelines and whistled mentally until the pair left. The ignited beard actually made a sizzling sound which I can still hear in my head whenever I'm in the mood to be tortured by my own thoughts.

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 10-01-2013 at 04:20 AM. Reason: Phrase corrected to read *beard singeing*, since *beard singing* is disturbing in an entirely different way.
Old 10-01-2013, 03:35 AM   #118
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prestidigitweeze View Post
Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, they say ("they" in this case is apparently Charles Caleb Colton), so:

Yesterday, I answered an ad that asked if I wanted "to become a fat burner"; today, I know why smoking is a heath hazard.

Or using inspiration rather than imitation:

There's nothing quite like the smell of fat sizzling on the barbecue, it doesn't matter whether it comes from tasty lamb chop, a plump pork sausage, or, as in this case, a tender human sirloin, the smell of flesh broiling in the open air is something that always makes my mouth water.
Old 10-01-2013, 04:04 AM   #119
gmw
cacoethes scribendi

And another inspired by thinking about ridiculous ads:

The woman watched me lumber toward her car, her eyes wide in fear - it made me wonder if running her off the side of the road had been the wrong way to go about this, but I might never see her again - and when I tapped on the driver's window her mobile phone jumped out of her fingers and fell to the floor, but I ignored all that, I had to know, so I yelled through the closed window, "Your bumper sticker says, 'Lose weight now, ask me how!' so I'm asking: how?"
Old 10-01-2013, 07:00 AM   #120
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil
doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD (R.I.P. After six years the USB socket died.) tolino shine 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
She had a face that could clog a drainpipe, so I brought along my tools.
To keep up the silliness:

She had a face that could drain a piper, but old Peter's clogged arteries gave Vampirella something to chew on.
doubleshuffle is offline   Reply With Quote