Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-25-2013, 09:45 PM   #16
southnorth
southnorth began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch 2011
It looks like the inconvenience of reading PDFs on Kobo ereaders is still persistent. Still not much improvement seen on the Kobo Aura. Just like OP, I have many of my ebooks in PDF format. Reading them on my Kobo Touch is killing me. I'm quite disappointed that Kobo didn't improve this on the new Aura. I guess after all, PDFs are designed just for printing.

I am thinking of switching from an ereader to a tablet, likely to be the new Nexus 7 2 or a 10" (half the size of an A4 paper). I know the glossy LCD screen may hurt my eyes but I think that's the only way to go. At least I can freely zoom in/out and turn pages on PDFs.

Comments welcome.

Last edited by southnorth; 07-25-2013 at 09:48 PM.
southnorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 04:27 AM   #17
sos_sifou
sos_sifou knows the square root of minus one.sos_sifou knows the square root of minus one.sos_sifou knows the square root of minus one.sos_sifou knows the square root of minus one.sos_sifou knows the square root of minus one.sos_sifou knows the square root of minus one.sos_sifou knows the square root of minus one.sos_sifou knows the square root of minus one.sos_sifou knows the square root of minus one.sos_sifou knows the square root of minus one.sos_sifou knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Kobo Glo
Ill do the same, but i won't ditch my e-reader! Of course not :-)
I am thinking about the upcoming nexus 11, it should be quite good for reading pdf with it anticipated high res screen, 7 inch for pdf isn't enough, i have tried that with the very first 7 inch tablet by Samsung (galaxy tab P1000), it's small and you'll have to do lot of zoom in zoom out...
What about the dream of a 9 inch e-ink reader running android? That would be awesome! Ezpdf reader FTW!
sos_sifou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 04:57 AM   #18
konrad white
Enthusiast
konrad white knows the square root of minus one.konrad white knows the square root of minus one.konrad white knows the square root of minus one.konrad white knows the square root of minus one.konrad white knows the square root of minus one.konrad white knows the square root of minus one.konrad white knows the square root of minus one.konrad white knows the square root of minus one.konrad white knows the square root of minus one.konrad white knows the square root of minus one.konrad white knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Sony PRS 950, Onyx M92, Kobo Aura, Kobo Aura One
I hope that Kobo will make a new firmware to navigate pdf's documents.
konrad white is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 08:13 AM   #19
louden
louden began at the beginning.

Device: Nook ST/Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ki1P View Post
I use Briss to crop whole pdfs of their margins. Usually the pages then center correctly when turning pages and don't require re-positioning every time.
I've tried Bris too, and I have to say - skim is the best IF you want to see the PDF as they were originally laid out and if you want to make the most out of the screen real estate on the Aura.

When you crop a book in skim, yes you want to get close to the text, but it's more important to keep that 3x4 ratio on the cropped book. For most tech ebooks, that means you're cropping the top and bottom as close to the text as possible, then you widen the sides to get to 3x4.

Then when you open the book on the Aura, zoom to the "page width" and you'll make the most of the display. Is the text small? yes, but very readable. On top of that you'll stay zoomed in as you move from page to page.

Last edited by louden; 07-26-2013 at 08:17 AM.
louden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 09:41 AM   #20
konrad white
Enthusiast
konrad white knows the square root of minus one.konrad white knows the square root of minus one.konrad white knows the square root of minus one.konrad white knows the square root of minus one.konrad white knows the square root of minus one.konrad white knows the square root of minus one.konrad white knows the square root of minus one.konrad white knows the square root of minus one.konrad white knows the square root of minus one.konrad white knows the square root of minus one.konrad white knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Sony PRS 950, Onyx M92, Kobo Aura, Kobo Aura One
I think Kobo should improve paper and comic mode in new firmware like Sony.
konrad white is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 04:53 PM   #21
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
maybe it is worth to check out koreader in the developer's forum if you feel like taking the plunge with a hack for pdf, djvu and more.
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 01:58 PM   #22
louden
louden began at the beginning.

Device: Nook ST/Kobo Aura HD
FYI - I thought I'd post a couple of images:

First - a typical geek PDF page:

And how skim/zooming/kobo work together (looks better IRL)

Works for me....

Again - the trick for me is making sure any PDF is in that 3x4 ratio so that once you zoom, you can stay that way from page to page...

... And please don't sue me for violating any kind of terms and conditions of my ebook purchase

Last edited by louden; 08-06-2013 at 02:02 PM.
louden is offline   Reply With Quote