Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-30-2012, 02:31 PM   #31
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
There's some speculation over at Dear Author that "NewCo" is just a place-holder name.

Barnes & Soft? Micro & Noble?

-becca
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 02:45 PM   #32
Ekaros
Illiterate newbie
Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Not sure if they aren't going to go with shop in desktop Win 8 too. Just think how massive the user base for that one would be, allow somewhat easy integration for any device and they got massive potential user base.
Ekaros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 02:50 PM   #33
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaPrice View Post
There's some speculation over at Dear Author that "NewCo" is just a place-holder name.

Barnes & Soft? Micro & Noble?

-becca
Yes, it is officially a place holder.
B&N hasn't said (or decided) what they want to call the operation.

Could be Nook, Inc or BNDigital, or any two random syllables jammed together.

I suspect they wrapped up negotiations late last night.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 03:03 PM   #34
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
We currently have two ecosystems - Apple and Amazon.

Apple started from the music/hardware interface, and expanded into phone and internet/media.

Amazon started from retail/sales and expanded into media/hardware.

Microsoft only has disparate pieces. It started from computer software/gaming, but hasn't been able to successfully expand into anything. Still...

If Microsoft can provide a worthwhile, seamless interface/interoperability among difference forms in the next couple years, (which I doubt, but I can't rule out), then you have a computer/gaming/phone/media/internet hardware platform with a software walled garden (B & N Nook store, expanded into music, games, video and apps as well as e-books). That could be monster that makes Apple look like a popgun...
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 03:20 PM   #35
ScotiaBurrell
Banned
ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle & little green monster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Sir Edward View Post
That could be monster that makes Apple look like a popgun...
they must move fast. more time pass, more people join amazon \ apple way and then find it hard to leave.
ScotiaBurrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 03:24 PM   #36
hrosvit
Moron
hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 3, Galaxy Note 2, Nook ST
Quote:
Originally Posted by teh603 View Post
I find the early reviews of Win8 somewhat discouraging.
Really? I admit I haven't read any reviews, but I have a tablet that came with Windows 7, and was terrible. I installed the consumer preview of Windows 8 on it, and I like it. It boots in about 8 seconds, and is pretty darn smooth. I admit, however, that I have not really put it through its paces, because I'm too enamored of my new iPad.
hrosvit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 03:24 PM   #37
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Agreed. But that may be the plan...Microsoft may have figured out that the payoff is worth the cannibalizing of the exist PC business model...

After all look how much money/clout Apple currently has...
Old 04-30-2012, 04:08 PM   #38
teh603
Autism Spectrum Disorder
teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android Phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by hrosvit View Post
Really? I admit I haven't read any reviews, but I have a tablet that came with Windows 7, and was terrible. I installed the consumer preview of Windows 8 on it, and I like it. It boots in about 8 seconds, and is pretty darn smooth. I admit, however, that I have not really put it through its paces, because I'm too enamored of my new iPad.
Quote:
Agreed. But that may be the plan...Microsoft may have figured out that the payoff is worth the cannibalizing of the exist PC business model...

After all look how much money/clout Apple currently has...
This. MS sees how Apple has dominated the tablet market, and that Apple has censorship power over the app store. Just have a look at what happened to the "Jew or Not Jew" app. Not that I support said app, but it makes a good example.

Scary part is, people are more accepting of being restricted to an app store now than they were before. All MS has to do is restrict people to using only MS- approved apps, and hey presto, it can now lock people out of using free software and start forcing people to pay for expensive and overblown softwares like Office.

Heaven forbid they find a way to burn it into a computer's ROMs, but that's probably next on the agenda.
teh603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 04:27 PM   #39
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by teh603 View Post
This. MS sees how Apple has dominated the tablet market, and that Apple has censorship power over the app store. Just have a look at what happened to the "Jew or Not Jew" app. Not that I support said app, but it makes a good example.

Scary part is, people are more accepting of being restricted to an app store now than they were before. All MS has to do is restrict people to using only MS- approved apps, and hey presto, it can now lock people out of using free software and start forcing people to pay for expensive and overblown softwares like Office.

Heaven forbid they find a way to burn it into a computer's ROMs, but that's probably next on the agenda.
They'd never to that! ...How could they then sell their overprice upgrades?...
Old 04-30-2012, 05:22 PM   #40
rdjack21
Groupie
rdjack21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdjack21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdjack21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdjack21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdjack21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdjack21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdjack21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdjack21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdjack21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdjack21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdjack21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elocity A7, Nook STR, Galaxy Nexus
I'm no big fan of amazon but I have to admit that I dislike Apple and Microsoft even more and if B&N is really budding up to Microsoft then my next device will either be a pure android device or a Kindle.
rdjack21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 05:56 PM   #41
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Microsoft only has disparate pieces. It started from computer software/gaming, but hasn't been able to successfully expand into anything. Still...
Uh, don't pin too many hopes until we get more details.
As of now, Microsoft's role is just providing the money and licensing Win8 if "Newco" chooses to use it. (It's just rumor and speculation.)
So far, all they've said is they are a minority investor in the spinoff and that's it.
This is still B&N's show.

Edit: If we're to speculate on what a Microsoft-based Nook (a MetroNook) might look like, consider this:
http://news.cnet.com/8301-10805_3-57...col;subStories

Last edited by fjtorres; 04-30-2012 at 06:11 PM.
Old 04-30-2012, 07:10 PM   #42
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
B&N clearly could introduce a MicroSoft based reading device, but it would be a massive mistake. Why would B&N let the 17.6% tail wag the dog? If they don't do this, then the deal sounds like a good one for B&N.

It would be a mistake because the hardware for such a device has to be more expensive that for the comparable Android based model. This is because MS has severely limited the choices of what SoC's to use for a MS tablet (no matter what flavor of the O/S it runs). On top of that, Android is free (particularly since B&N does not pay a MicroSoft patent tax) and B&N already knows how to build on top of Android. A MS device would take longer to develop, would be more expensive, and might require paying MS an explicit cut of the selling price.

To be clear, a Metro (say) tablet might be competitive with a top of the line Android tablet, but at the price points that B&N has traditionally worked within this is impossible.

Last edited by wallcraft; 04-30-2012 at 07:13 PM.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 07:21 PM   #43
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
...particularly since B&N does not pay a MicroSoft patent tax...
Uh, no.
The press release from this morning explicitly says B&N *will* pay patent royalties on their android devices.
(Which are known to be higher than the licenses for WinPhone 7.)

Bill Gates may be gone but MS is not run by dummies.
Old 04-30-2012, 09:32 PM   #44
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
There may also be an element of simple foresight. There may be an explosion of cheaper
eReaders in the foreseeable future.

http://www.freescale.com/webapp/sps/...?code=APLEBOOK

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...QULF8InWs2sPMw

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2010/...-150-e-reader/
(Notice that there has been 2 years since the above post and we are now seeing some
tablets based on the chips, about right for this sort of thing.)

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 11:01 PM   #45
ATimson
Evangelist
ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
It would be a mistake because the hardware for such a device has to be more expensive that for the comparable Android based model. This is because MS has severely limited the choices of what SoC's to use for a MS tablet (no matter what flavor of the O/S it runs).
Uhh... where have you heard anything about Windows 8 tablets being "severely limited" in their chipset choice? I thought that they would run on pretty much the entire ARM gamut.
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote