Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 06-06-2011, 07:59 AM   #16
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Nope. I like the NC just as it is...
I read books and magazines on it, day and evening, inside and out. It's a great device.

I'm keeping mine.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 10:24 AM   #17
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherbearjt08 View Post
Is anyone having buyer's remorse? I am going from a Sony 350 to a NC. I have had it for 3 days and can't make up my mind.

Seems like most people use it for an android tablet.

Battery life - is it ok to charge every day?

Wifi - I can only use at home or a free spots. Not an on-the-go tablet to use anywhere without some 3G plan.

Not e-ink. It is LCD

I have to pick one. All the hacks and running CM7 on SDcard sounds cool.

Help.
I bought mine at Best Buy and returned it after 2 days.

The stock NC failed as an ereader in my opinion (others members on this forum have also mentioned that) like poor PDF support, no landscape support for ePubs, battery life, too small for Magazines (iPad's size is almost perfect) and weight.

Not willing to re-root or be worried about B&N firmware upgrades every new release and losing "in-store" capabilities, I just returned it. Later I bought a Galaxy Tab 3G without a contract which today you can get for much less and very competitive price; lighter and works out of the box.

If you like the form factor and need color, keep it. Probably you won't find something cheaper and with similar quality. There are a few low budget/Chinese tablets out there but I don't believe their quality are the same.

For reading just books, no Magazines or anything which requires color, I actually prefer an eink device.

For reading Magazines and PDFs, I prefer the iPad. It is not cheap or too portable but fantastic device for that.

Last edited by jocampo; 06-06-2011 at 10:28 AM.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 10:35 AM   #18
bbells
bbells will become famous soon enoughbbells will become famous soon enoughbbells will become famous soon enoughbbells will become famous soon enoughbbells will become famous soon enoughbbells will become famous soon enough

Device: Nook color, Nook e-ink
I have both the Nook Color and original Nook e-ink. I went with the e-ink (before color was out) because of its replaceable battery, battery life, expandable storage, ability to add non-Barnes and Noble books, and e-ink display.
I got the Nook Color for the ability to root it and turn it into an Android tablet and to possibly replace my e-ink. Here is why I rarely use the Nook Color: I can barely see the screen when wearing polarized sunglasses in the bright sunlight or shade. The Nook Color is also irritating to my eyes when reading in a dark room. It is heavier than the e-ink. The battery life is horrible - When on vacation I needed to charge it twice a day, and had to ration my use while at airports (vs 1x a week for the e-ink). External USB battery packs do not work on it. It has pluses: Easier web browsing, easier emails, Angry Birds, etc.
For an ereader, the e-ink models can't be beat for their battery life and ease of reading. I read about 50% faster with the e-ink screen. I now NEVER use my Nook Color for reading.
My opinion: If you want an ereader get an e-ink that can use books from any source (all formats can be converted to whatever your device requires).
If you want to root it and have an inexpensive yet excellent Android tablet get the Nook Color.
If you want both an ereader and tablet get both. The color makes too many compromises as an ereader.
bbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 11:49 AM   #19
wymore
Enthusiast
wymore began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
Technically my mom bought my Color, so I can't have buyer's remorse, but I love mine and would definitely not return it. Even before rooting, I thought it was great. It got me reading more as I could read at night with the lights off without disturbing anyone. The web browser was sufficient for most of my web surfing needs, which was nice because my laptop is old, the battery dies after 20 minutes, and it takes 4 minutes to power up. Thus being able to just turn on my Nook and look something up or take it outside to read or surf while the kids play is great. Since rooting it, it has only gotten better as now there are tons of free games I play on there. I'm currently learning Backgammon so that I can play a co-worker.
wymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 12:34 PM   #20
ncguy68
Enthusiast
ncguy68 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ncguy68 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ncguy68 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ncguy68 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ncguy68 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ncguy68 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ncguy68 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ncguy68 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ncguy68 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ncguy68 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ncguy68 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet, Asus TF300, Nexus 7
No way! I like the Nook Color better than any of the E-ink readers. To my eyes text seems a lot sharper on the Nook Color and the contrast/brightness is a lot better. For reading I use the lowest brightness setting combined with sepia tone....I my opinion it looks more like reading from paper than E-Ink does. I enjoy being able to read outside at night without a reading light.
ncguy68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 12:37 PM   #21
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
I love mine now that I have CM7 on the SD card (link in my signature, if you're looking for a video tutorial), but.... if I'd had to keep it as a stock reader, I probably would have returned it. But that's partially because I use it for PDFs a lot.
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 12:53 PM   #22
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncguy68 View Post
No way! I like the Nook Color better than any of the E-ink readers. To my eyes text seems a lot sharper on the Nook Color and the contrast/brightness is a lot better. For reading I use the lowest brightness setting combined with sepia tone....I my opinion it looks more like reading from paper than E-Ink does. I enjoy being able to read outside at night without a reading light.
Yep, I also have a widget that turns the nook to "night mode" where its red text on black background. Turn the brightness way down and its great cause it does not hamper night-vision much at all.

NookColor is not for everyone, but for me and my wife it works great, far better then any e-ink device could.
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 03:21 PM   #23
richard_iii
Coder extrordinaire
richard_iii began at the beginning.

Device: nook color
F%&k no. This unit, right now is as close as I have gotten to having a real portable computer. While I would not write software on it, It does all the other things I need, present information, play music, take notes, surf the web , kill some time with short games. Since rooting it, I could not be more pleased.
richard_iii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 03:23 PM   #24
negris123
Zealot
negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.

Device: nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard_iii View Post
F%&k no. This unit, right now is as close as I have gotten to having a real portable computer. While I would not write software on it, It does all the other things I need, present information, play music, take notes, surf the web , kill some time with short games. Since rooting it, I could not be more pleased.
I think those are the very reasons why she might not want to keep it. Sounds more like a tablet than an ereader
negris123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 04:07 PM   #25
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by negris123 View Post
I think those are the very reasons why she might not want to keep it. Sounds more like a tablet than an ereader
Its definitely has potential as a gap bridging device, how ever, IMO, its an EXCELLENT E-Reader, and okay tablet. My Asus Transformer is an EXCELLENT tablet, and okay E-Reader.
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 05:10 PM   #26
sherbearjt08
Connoisseur
sherbearjt08 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-300
How do u change settings for sepia? I dont see that option
sherbearjt08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 05:40 PM   #27
negris123
Zealot
negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.

Device: nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherbearjt08 View Post
How do u change settings for sepia? I dont see that option
To change font type and background, from within a book, tap on the center of the page to bring up the contextual menu, tap on "text", then tap on the background choices (default background Normal) to bring up the drop-down menu and scroll (sepia is the last one on the list). You have to tap on the menu and scroll down in order to see all the choices
negris123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 06:29 PM   #28
MsCG1
Zealot
MsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Device: Nook Classic, NookColor, HTC Rezound, Sony PRS-505, ICS Touchpad
My NC is "gently" rooted (still autonootered) and my husband now uses it as his primary reader. He hasn't used the Sony Reader in months, and I think he prefers the NC.

It's not for everyone, that's for sure, but I honestly think that if you can afford it, you should keep both. Eink and LCD tablet really compliment each other, and we have the best of both worlds. He does play a few games on it (was up until midnight last night playing Plants vs. Zombies. *smh*), and I still exclusively read magazines and web comics on it, but it it used 90% of the time for novels.

Play around with it. Adjust the font, text, and background color and see if that makes a difference at all. See how you like reading it at bed at night with the lights off. You can even run an alternate operating system from an SD card and see if you would prefer it as a full fledged tablet.
You should keep it as long as you can so you can get a feel for it. If you don't warm up to it more after week, return it.
MsCG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 07:56 PM   #29
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Got my NC to use as a tablet based on price. All of the other tablets (iPad, Galaxy Tab, etc) were overpriced at the time. $500??? What utter nonsense.

I love the display. What a great screen. I use my NC for videos, games, and web surfing. I generally don't read on it. It's too heavy and the backlit display still bothers my eyes for prolonged reading sessions. My Kindle is my primary ereader.

Looking forward to Amazon's entry into the tablet market. Hope they offer something to compete with the NC.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 08:50 PM   #30
sherbearjt08
Connoisseur
sherbearjt08 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-300
Thanks for input everyone

Thank you everyone. For now, I am going to keep it. I have not found too many issues with reading on it. I am working on the whole CM7 to an SD card tonight.

Besides, DH says if I return it, he will not happy.
sherbearjt08 is offline   Reply With Quote