Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Announcements

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 10-25-2010, 04:11 PM   #76
EatingPie
Blueberry!
EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.

Device: Sony PRS-500 (RIP); PRS-600 (Good Riddance); PRS-505; PRS-650; PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham View Post
Indeed, discussing a few of the titles on this month's book list might be tricky. It would be hard to discuss "Old Man's War", "The Sparrow", "The Man in the High Castle" or indeed "Childhood's End" without dipping into politics or religion.

Graham
It is a good point, but there's a big difference between bringing up political elements of a novel while discussing it, and an free-for-all thread about religion or politics, such as the current "under attack" threads.

I'm pretty happy with the solution. Anyone compelled to remain opted-out is probably not at all interested in the religo-political discussions anyway. While mobileread is friendlier than most, these discussions still get somewhat heated, and are really a dime a dozen on the Internet anyway. Having a sanctuary from such discussions can often be a breath of fresh air. And the beauty here is that the sanctuary exists by default, but the hard-core debates are there if you want them.

-Pie
Old 10-25-2010, 04:21 PM   #77
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by TadW View Post
Nothing is hidden. You want to discuss these issues? Opt in. You don't - don't opt in.
So how do you find out about it? I just happened to press search for new and seeing this thread in the first place. I was wondering why some threads seemed dead.
Old 10-25-2010, 04:26 PM   #78
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SameOldStory View Post
One of the things that has ticked me off has not only been the antireligious messages, but the constant insertion of them in areas where they weren't called for by a few people over and over again.

Unfortunately I've taken the bait too often and therefore contributed to the overall problem.

I don't think that this will please some but I, for one, am quite happy to see it all (hopefully) moved here. Thank you very much.
We plan to increase the moderation of topics to guide people to the new section and may resort to deletion if needed. The idea is to allow that sort of debate a place to live and keep it from becoming a topic by proxy in the rest of the fora.
Old 10-25-2010, 04:30 PM   #79
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
So how do you find out about it? I just happened to press search for new and seeing this thread in the first place. I was wondering why some threads seemed dead.
In addition to member to member sharing of information, members whom enter the General Discussions Forum and the Lounge will see the notices at the top of those pages that directs back to this thread with the additional information.
Old 10-25-2010, 05:47 PM   #80
AprilHare
Wizard
AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham View Post
Now... anyone want to discuss Cricket?

Graham
Nothing more political!
Old 10-25-2010, 05:51 PM   #81
AprilHare
Wizard
AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Question: would "liseuse" discussions fit into that forum?
Old 10-25-2010, 06:13 PM   #82
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
It's great that you banned such fairy tales like religion in special 'forum threads'.
Old 10-25-2010, 06:15 PM   #83
AprilHare
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by joblack View Post
It's great that you banned such fairy tales like religion in special 'forum threads'.
Just as long as we don't ban fairy tales... I like Hans Christian Anderson et al!
Old 10-25-2010, 06:21 PM   #84
kazbates
Wizard
kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SurfacePro, SurfaceBook 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
I thank you. I actually unsubscribed from the entire lounge and considered just 'going away' because of all the buttons these posts were pushing.

MobileRead has too much to offer to lose members because some want to express their feelings at the expense of others, over and over again.

Great solution.
I completely agree!

Quote:
It's these kinds of insensitive comments that made this action necessary.

One of the best things about MR is that the majority of members here are considerate of all the different personalities and beliefs of the people posting. It takes all kinds to make the world an interesting place and that's what MR is. . .interesting!

Thanks, Alex and Mods!
Old 10-25-2010, 06:36 PM   #85
Krystian Galaj
Guru
Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Bookeen Cybook
Perhaps copyright and DRM discussions could join that forum as well? I think I won't opt-in, as I usually end up posting there in reply to a particularly outrageous post, so it will be best if I don't read such posts at all.
Old 10-25-2010, 07:39 PM   #86
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Damn good move Alex!!
Old 10-25-2010, 08:17 PM   #87
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
huh??
Old 10-25-2010, 08:29 PM   #88
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
I like it Alex, et.al...

One request, if somebody is off-topicing a thread into one of those areas, could one request the post be branched into the "religion and politics" thread?

I personally plan to remain opt-ed out.

I want light-hearted worldviews (but you're always welcome at my campfire, Recluse). I get enough righteousness elsewhere in my life.
Old 10-25-2010, 08:39 PM   #89
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Sir Edward View Post
I like it Alex, et.al...

One request, if somebody is off-topicing a thread into one of those areas, could one request the post be branched into the "religion and politics" thread?

I want light-hearted worldviews (but you're always welcome at my campfire, Recluse). I get enough righteousness elsewhere in my life.
Yeah, I can see that happening. Technically, I think we can branch off a thread elsewhere. What I imagine we (mods) might do on a case-by-case basis is sort-of do this manually. That is, if reported/noticed, we might as mods gently enter the thread and suggest to the poster of the P&R post that they start a thread in that P&R sub-forum, perhaps linked back to the origin thread for context. Of course, fuzzy lines will likely always exist too.

That was my immediate thought, but maybe that's because I'm easily confused by divergence.

Cheers,
Marc
Old 10-25-2010, 08:59 PM   #90
recluse
Banned
recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Sir Edward View Post
I like it Alex, et.al...

Thanks, Ralph!
Closed Thread